Author Topic: Odd red spots on my torso  (Read 4707 times)

4Kids

Odd red spots on my torso
« on: November 10, 2013, 06:55:32 AM »
I have a couple red hive looking spots on my stomach and back.  They burn and itch, and at first I thought it was a fungal infection as it's where my boobs meet my stomach but it isn't that much.  It is on my belly under where my bra line meets my stomach if I slouch.  Then I got some (about 4) on my back.  They burn and are slightly itchy.  I put anti-fungal cream on them and polysporin.  It doesn't help the healing at all. I had thought I had scratches and it is right where my husband puts his arms while we sleep at night and he has mechanic's hands, so I thought they got infected. (I get skin infections very, very easily).  But the creams don't help.   

Going to the doctor requires a 45 minute drive which costs about $30 in gas so I'd rather not if I don't have to.  They've been here for 5 days.  Sometimes they look like a chicken pox blister and sometimes more like a hive.  It's not bed bugs, we don't travel much or have visitors, and it's only me.  My back is unusually sore. My husband is sick with a virus that has him aching and exhausted and he threw up the other night -- but he always does when he's sick.

Last week I was sure my daughter had measles as she had a rash on her face but it faded fast, and she was not that sick at all.  She's 9.

Any thoughts?  Thank you,

Jackie
Plaquinel, Restasis, Salagen, Arthrotec, Cod Liver Oil, B Vitamins, Palafer-C, Plaquinel, Metformin, Spironlactone, Biotin

daisymae

Re: Odd red spots on my torso
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 08:01:22 AM »
Jackie this sounds like shingles. I'm not a doctor but I would advise getting to the doctor right away. The earlier you get on the antiviral meds the better chance you have of not getting long term nerve pain.

Try googling it. www.mayoclinic.org/shingles.

eye2dry

• Sjogrens, RA, hypothyroid
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 08:15:06 AM »
hi 4kids.

sounds like shingles to me too.

I work at a dermatologist office and see shingles several times a week.

an anti viral will help shorten their duration.

since you live so far away from a dr office, you can try OTC's and self help measures at home

and try to ride it out.

theres no telling how long it will last...weeks...months..year??????????

I am not one to get vaccines however this year I took the "shingles shot" d/t my concern

of getting them especially the eye area.

good luck and so sorry you have (may have) them.

eye2dry
medications: synthroid- Cymbalta- plaquenil- lots of supplements

***Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am***

Ripvanann

• "A DESIRE FULFILLED IS A TREE OF LIFE"
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 09:03:17 AM »
Jackie,

I'm so sorry. I know what it's like to have all of the wee ones and be sick. My heart goes out to you.

Do you remember I had 3 outbreaks of shingles recently? I'm with the others, they're shingles. In fact, I read your thread title and said to my husband who was sitting next to me "Oh no, I think this girl has shingles." Read your post and I am now convinced.

You need to get the antivirals ASAP. For consolation purposes, the outbreak on my torso was in the exact same spots you're describing and the pain wasn't near as bad as my face was, however, I didn't have as many there as you do. The antivirals will stop in its tracks, but the sooner you get them in you the better.

Time is of the essence. Can you go to a Med Express or something like that today? That's who Dx mine.

Praying for you.
~Andrea
Primary SjS, Steroid Induced Cushing's Syndrome, RA, Thyroiditis, Hyperparathyroidism, Raynaud's, Autonomic & Small Fiber NLeuropathy, Fibro. Osteoporosis, & other fun stuff associated w/ the afore mentioned. ~Meds: prednisone, Plaqu, Citracal D & Pain Meds, Compazine, phenergan, Iberogast.

gphx

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 11:57:38 AM »
It could be shingles. It could also be something as simple as chigger bites. If they itch like crazy they may be chigger bites. The only actual cure for them is a week or two.
Dxed unspecific 'sicca syndrome' eyes and mouth. Neuro issues, muscle weakness. SS Seronegative but high inflammatory markers. Diabetes dx 2010. Glucose control improved neuromuscular issues. Enlarged thyroid under observation 2013. Yippee.

warmwaters

• Just keep swimming - Dora
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 03:03:30 PM »
My first thought was shingles, also, based on the location.   One common pattern is a band extending from the mid back to the stomach.

That's how mine occurred.

Of course, could be a different rash - have you changed laundry detergent lately, for example?
Primary Sjogrens, dx June 2009, Immunoglobulin deficiency, axial spondylosis arthritis, IBS, autonomic neuropathy
Omeprazone DR 40 mg, mobic 15 mg, Plaquenil, LDN, B1, B6, B12, D, fludrocortisone, gralise, various inhalers

quietdynamics

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 05:43:19 PM »

Sorry you and husband are not well.

Here is some info about shingles on the CDC site:
Skin Care and Itch Relief for Shingles

To relieve itching and discomfort, these things can help:
    Cool, wet compresses on the affected skin
    Soothing baths and lotions, such as colloidal oatmeal bath, starch baths, or calamine lotion
    Zostrix, a cream that contains capsaicin (an extract of pepper)
    Antihistamines to reduce itching (taken by mouth or applied to the skin)

Keep your skin clean. Throw away bandages you use to cover your skin sores. Throw away or wash in hot water clothing that has contact with your skin sores. Wash your sheets and towels in hot water.

They note during the open blister phase is when it is contagious. Groan.

Can your pharmacist sneak a peak? Or maybe the school nurse?
Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea, Livedo reticularis,

"You can't have a positive life with a  negative mind"

slccom

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 07:18:58 AM »
I strongly advise against "self-help." Get on the antivirals yesterday! People who rely on "self-help" often end up with permanent post-herpatic neuralgia, which means constant agonizing pain for the rest of your life.

Don't risk that!

Sharon

Ripvanann

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 07:41:29 AM »
I second Sharon on the self help. People with AI and the elderly are particularly at risk for post heperatic neuralgia. You have to vet those antivirals in you ASAP. The success of their working is time sensitive.
Primary SjS, Steroid Induced Cushing's Syndrome, RA, Thyroiditis, Hyperparathyroidism, Raynaud's, Autonomic & Small Fiber NLeuropathy, Fibro. Osteoporosis, & other fun stuff associated w/ the afore mentioned. ~Meds: prednisone, Plaqu, Citracal D & Pain Meds, Compazine, phenergan, Iberogast.

A66eyroad

• Be kind to yourself today!
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 08:23:46 AM »
4Kids, get thee to a doctor, pronto! Is there a walk-in clinic closer to you? You might try there first.
Female, 61
Sjogrens, UCTD, and subacute cutaneous lupus. Flu-like symptoms, mouth & nasal ulcers, itchy rash, high cholesterol, headache, earache, tinnitis, dizziness. Hangover-like nausea, especially in the a.m.
Plaquenil, Atabrine, DHEA, Aleve, Evoxac, Allegra/Benedryl, esomeprazole.

justwondering

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 09:02:19 AM »
I think you need someone to check it out. Rashes are tricky. It could be shingles, it could be something else entirely.

For example, I have psoriasis and it can get rather itchy, leading to secondary skin infections that spread. I once had a nasty one, it started out on the torso with just one itchy red spot (circular, would grow to about a 1/2 inch in diameter), then another one popped up, and another and another? until it was over my entire torso. The spots would not clear up at all. Turned out it was a secondary staph infection. It left scarring for about a year. You do not want to mess with staph infections, because of MRSA now. In this case, it was not antibiotic-resistant, but you just do not want to mess with it.

In the interim if you can't see a doctor right away, you can try washing with that pink stuff they have you wash with right before surgery, the stuff doctors use to scrub with. You can find it at the drug store. I forget the name, ugh. Anyway, after that staph infection my dermatologist had me keep a bottle on hand, to wash with every now and then. It's VERY drying but if your infection responds to it, you know it's not shingles or chiggers or allergic reaction.

Yesterday I had a hive pop up on my upper thigh. Just one lone hive. I did not itch it or anything, even though it itched! Then I developed a red rash around the hive, about 6 inches in diameter, asymmetrical. Very odd. Then the hive and the redness disappeared, and last night I had annoying numbness in that exact same spot, and other areas on both legs too. It's fine today. I don't know why these things happen, why they come and go.

4Kids

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 10:21:01 AM »
Oh God :(.  I am going in today. Thanks guys.

eta:  it's in a band in the right spot but not very advanced or bad. The nearest any doctor is the 45 - 1 hour away but sounds well worth it. I'm actually a bit sad because I thought my immune system was stronger than this.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 11:36:33 AM by 4Kids »
Plaquinel, Restasis, Salagen, Arthrotec, Cod Liver Oil, B Vitamins, Palafer-C, Plaquinel, Metformin, Spironlactone, Biotin

Ripvanann

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 11:42:06 AM »
Let us know what they say. Sorry! (=

4Kids

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 03:26:22 PM »
Doctor says is only a viral rash not shingles. A couple starting crossing my midline a d that is the reason he stated. Also he said they are never Mildy burning and itchy as I stated they are a three to four. Not to make myself stoic, but I've been through gall bladder and four csections as well as a few other things so I gauge everything against that.  Should I get a second opinion?

Ripvanann

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 05:37:06 PM »
Hey, is the rash located ON your midline? You can have them bilateraly. It's not common, buy sjoggies never are. =) They can be on both sides for sure, but they can't be on the midline.

The ones on my trunk weren't NEAR as bad as the ones on my face. I, like you, have been through some pain (5 kids, abdominal hysterectomy and kidney stones). They were however, extraordinarily itchy. I thought they were spider bites at first. You know bow they can be a little painful? The pain did spread though and certainly was more intense than spider bites.

I've read that the pain can indeed be mild. It's usually not though. Since you aren't in that much pain, the chances of long term nerve pain there is nil. However, what I'd hate to see is you breaking out 2 more times like I did (which I was told "never happens" by a few docs).

Yeah, I would get a second opinion for certain, only if they're on both sides of your body and not your midline. They can do a biopsy, but I don't know how long that takes. I'm sorry you drove all the way out there to hear that. I hope you don't have them though.

Again, sorry. Thanks for the update.

~Andrea