Author Topic: upcoming MRI...a very LONG one, how to work around DRY  (Read 1066 times)

litliwlowa

upcoming MRI...a very LONG one, how to work around DRY
« on: October 24, 2013, 10:31:57 AM »
Well, my new neuro, who is WONDERFUL by the way, has ordered MRI of brain and cervical spine with and without contrast. Scheduled for next week. (the one after I lost my prior one in May I have let go. Not a good mix for me.)

Usually I can handle and workaround the dry everywhere stuff up to thirty minutes in an MRI. This one is going to be 90 minutes.

He's checking status on brain lesions, as in the Aug soft tissue MRI before my last surgery, part of my brain was captured (up to ears anyway, and he saw lesion at that level. Plus with the prior history of POSSIBLE MS, he doesn't want to assume those are scarring lesions from my TBI. Which is great actually on his part, as I had been requesting since 2003 that those lesions needed to be checked for stability when I again became symptomatic.

On the c-spine, first time ever with contrast. But at least we'll kow for certain if there is spinal cord compromise at c5-c6 and c7-t1.

How on earth does anyone work around not drying out that long in an MRI???

I asked if they could split the two MRI's into two sessions, and answer is NOPE

So ANY suggestions would be most appreciated.

An hour and a half in that thing. Geesh.

Oh, this new neuro to me? Is also an associate professor. Now I really LIKE that part also.

Thanks!!

Amanda
SJS-Primary; Hashi's, Post surgical hypothyroidism, Hypoparathyroidism, Spondylolithesis, L&C Facet Arthropathy, Fibro, gluten intolerance, TBI, Radiculopathies, Neuralgias, Osteoporosis, GERD, Asthma, Allergies. Sphincter Dyssynergia. OSA, Fasciitis, Cervical Spondylosis

Sleepy In Seattle

Re: upcoming MRI...a very LONG one, how to work around DRY
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 10:39:47 AM »
Get some Xylimelts!!!!! They are wonderful, and last a few hours. You can use 2-3 at a time - they should keep your mouth moist and fresh. Just check with the technicians to make sure it's okay. I'm sure they will show up on the scan, but as long as you know what they are, that shouldn't be a big deal.

Would plain old vaseline in the nose work? Gross, but maybe just for this procedure....
Sjogren's, Lupus, Raynaud's, APS
Fatigue, Brain Fog, Autoimmune Hearing Loss, joint/muscle pain, dry mouth, clots in retina, etc :p
Supplements, Plaquenil 400mg/day, Aspirin 325mg/day (for APS), Methotrexate 10mg/2x per week, Prednisone 5mg/day

warmwaters

• Never, never, neverĀ  quit - Winston Churchill
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 10:52:43 AM »
There was recently a thread on the same sort of question. http://sjogrensworld.org/forums/index.php?topic=24392.0

At least some ideas.

Though I know I would find 90 minutes hard, even without the dryness issue. See if they can play some music for you - some of the machines can do that.
Primary Sjogrens, dx June 2009, Immunoglobulin deficiency, axial spondylosis arthritis, IBS
Omeprazone DR 40 mg, mobic 15 mg, Plaquenil, LDN, B1, B6, B12, D, flomax, various inhalers
Bonus vitamins:  D,B1, B6, B12, Calcium

Dee

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 11:09:02 AM »
Your neuro sounds great, keep us posted on how it goes.
Vitligo, Hashimoto's, Polyglandular Autoimmune syndrome Type 3 (PAS 3), gluten intolerance, Sicca/Sjogren's, dysautonomia, anhidrosis, elevated tpo antibodies, Rheumatoid factor and  alpha-3-AChR antibodies

BKreader

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 11:12:01 AM »
I just had one about an hour. I told them about my Sjogren's and they did stop and give me sips of water between before the contrast was injected. It helped. Just try not to fixate on it.
SjS, Hashimoto's, GERD, Perioral Dermatitis
Levothyroxine, Liothyronine Sodium, Evoxac, Plaquinil, Gabapentin, Prilosec
Salmon oil, Flax oil, NAC, Ubiquinol, B-1, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Vit C, Multi Vit, Tears Naturale

quietdynamics

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 12:41:19 PM »
I just had one about an hour. I told them about my Sjogren's and they did stop and give me sips of water between before the contrast was injected. It helped. Just try not to fixate on it.

I figure I can go a whole night with sleep ..no problem. Then do what needs to be done upon waking.
Like BKreader I just get the tests done and do not think about about the dryness. I do take Salagen...so that helps.
The Xylimelts sound like a great help.

Congrats on the new neuro!!
Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea

litliwlowa

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 01:23:20 PM »
I like the idea of Xylimelts. I'll see if my local pharmacy has them.

As for length of MRI and short break before contrast, the contrast portion goes fairly quickly. But since both brain and c-spine are on the order, longest part is the without contrast part.Ugh

I generally don't think about it. But this time, it's not just the dry management, I also have a persistent cough recent days (and still hopefully healing from ear infection). I think I can work it out with the tech between segments to at least let me cough or swallow (gross I know the post nasal cruds).

I already gave them a heads up to please please please not tell me after each segment how many minutes the next one will be

Thank you everyone!

Amanda
SJS-Primary; Hashi's, Post surgical hypothyroidism, Hypoparathyroidism, Spondylolithesis, L&C Facet Arthropathy, Fibro, gluten intolerance, TBI, Radiculopathies, Neuralgias, Osteoporosis, GERD, Asthma, Allergies. Sphincter Dyssynergia. OSA, Fasciitis, Cervical Spondylosis

quietdynamics

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 02:10:16 PM »

Oh no...I hope the cough is gone for the test.
If not I would give the Dr (Neuro) a heads up...call the office, unless you already know of a OTC suppressant that really does the trick for you.
You just know that is going to act up when you least want it too...darn.
Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea

Cassi307

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 02:43:53 PM »
I just had an MRI and took sips of water right before going into the machine. I then spent the rest of the hour visualizing calming images that were occasionally interrupted by instructions.

It was over pretty fast because my focus was not on how dry I was but on how relaxed I was. Every time a thought about dryness crept in I visualized something wet like rain or sitting on the edge of a lake. I am trying to get myself back into meditation to better manage all my symptoms.

Hope you find the right coping mechanism to get through a long test.
Sjogren's with myositis overlap,  ckd, asthma, chronic costochondritis, osteopenia, neuropathy, tremors, Liver disease, malabsorption, Plaquenil, cardizem, Salogen, Vit D

BKreader

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 03:02:25 PM »
You may also have an option to be sedated.
SjS, Hashimoto's, GERD, Perioral Dermatitis
Levothyroxine, Liothyronine Sodium, Evoxac, Plaquinil, Gabapentin, Prilosec
Salmon oil, Flax oil, NAC, Ubiquinol, B-1, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Vit C, Multi Vit, Tears Naturale

SjoDry

• "When you are battling with a gorilla, you don't g
    • Sjodry and Parched
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 03:36:45 PM »
Amanda,

I just had a cardiac MRI that lasted about 90 mins. I was very panicked about drying out as you probably remember.  I have not tried xylimelts. But a company (Quantum Health) sent out a product for our support group members to try, by way of the Sjogren's Syndrome Foundation. The product that they make is called Oramoist Dry Mouth Disc. 

You take the disc & can press it in the roof of your mouth and/or side of the cheek. At first it just feels like a little bump in your mouth with no noticeable flavor. As it begins a slow dissolve..it has a mild citrus flavor. I was a bit nervous as to whether it would fall off & produce a potential choking hazard..but these discs are great! They stick like glue.

Now I will admit to only answering that I did not have gum in my mouth when asked & did not readily volunteer any other information.   Since I had experimented with the discs prior to the MRI..I decided that I was going to use 3 discs for the MRI. They worked great. They did dissolve before I was done with the MRI..but I did not have very long left in the machine. I probably sucked on them a little harder because my back pain was flaming from laying on that skinny slab. As it turns out.. I should have worried more about my back than my mouth.

I will definitely keep using the Oramoist Discs. P.S.  the nurse/tech gal did stop the machine once & brought a straw up to the corner of my mouth to give me a sloppy sip of water. I had told her about the Sjogren's when I scheduled the appt. She had said that I might be able to have a couple of sips during the MRI. So between the discs & planned sip(s) of water..I survived :-D

SjoDry

Good luck!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 03:44:15 PM by SjoDry »
Sjodry
http://sjodry.wordpress.com/

Female 55 y/o; SJS Primary; CVID; Autonomic Neuropathy: Chronic Digestive/G.I. issues; Leukopenia;Tachycardia; Bronchiectasis; High Blood Pres;Chronic Pain; Sub~Q IVIG infusions~Hizentra; Plaquenil; Restasis; Gapapentin; Breathing/nebulizer meds; Pain meds;etc.

KS123

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 04:16:54 PM »
i too was going to say xylimelts.. i need to order some--they do sell something similiar at cvs but its more $$.. if your eyes are bad i would use ointment or maybe even a steriod /lotemax ointment and keep them shut.. the cough??  i would hope the xylimelts would help?  gosh that is a hard one... keep us posted.. and if it were me i would ask the doc for an rx for klonopin or xanax for anxiety--it doesnt dry me out and in fact helps me stay calm and sleepy..it may even help with the cough cause your anxiety will be down.?? i am not for sure ..just my experience what i do when i have to fast or have small procedures done.. \\

please let us know how it goes.

litliwlowa

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 05:05:29 PM »
@qd - the cough is always an issue. My last MRI the tech between segments would give me a few secs to cough or clear my throat if needed so long as I didn't change position. Hoping the tech this time will do the same. One thing I do is use my rescue inhaler in advance of MRI. Will try that this time as well

@bk - only way to be sedated is I have to have someone drive me and bring me home. Not an option. I am only driver in my home and no friends to drive in a pinch at that time of day (scheduled 4pm)

@SjoDry - thank you, I hope that one of the stores around here has either that or the Xylimelts. Roomie went to pharmacy to see if they have Xylimelts and pharmacist directed him to lozenges that ACT makes. NOT the same thing, even tho pharmacist told it him was. The lozenges he brought home have sucralose in them. I'll look into Oramist also. No time to order online though, as MRI is scheduled for Tuesday. I will ask tech if halfway through she can slip me a sip of water or something in the interim

@KS - great idea about the eye ointment. That lasts a bit longer than eye drops. Thanks!! I also have Klonipin on hand prior neuro rx'd for occasional insomnia. MRI place said I would need a driver if I take that. It's so low dose tho and scored so I can cut in half. Think I'll do that this time.

As it is all my meds for that time of day will be impacted. Be happy to have this MRI over with. ;)

Thank you everyone.

KS123

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 05:24:11 PM »
hey there. littleiowa..  when i had 2 root canals my doc too told me if i took a xanax i would need a driver--they have to say that -legally or they could get in trouble.. (i am not suggesting you drive yourself)  .. but i did drive myself because i took just enough to keep me calm-not enough to zonk me out... and since i already had a script on hand from my gen practioner and have never been told to not drive on it i figured it was fine..just my 2 cents..but do what u think is right. i think doc's just have to cover their buts -
either way i think that would help you relax and maybe relax that cough of yours... 

and yeah the eye ointment while goopy will keep you from wanting to put those drops in!  good luck and keep us apprised please.. you will get through just fine!   i will be thinking of you!!!!

litliwlowa

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 05:51:26 PM »
KS

Great minds think alike!! :) :)