Author Topic: Crock Pot Season  (Read 13648 times)

SjoGirl

Re: Crock Pot Season
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2013, 04:19:02 PM »
Cool about thawing the bags.

Today I made a large thick ham slice in the crock pot. I trimmed and saut?ed it a bit first, then saut?ed some onion, garlic and celery. Put all of it in a crock pot, added rosemary, a touch of thyme and a tablespoon or so of dried parsley. Delish.

After we had some for dinner I added some collard greens to the leftovers and now have several servings of soup.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2013, 05:30:36 PM »
Has anyone ever tried a turkey breast cooked in the crock pot?  I wonder how that would work out.

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Velcro

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2013, 08:29:13 AM »
LOVE my crock pot!  I use it constantly.

My favorite roast recipe is:  Chuck Roast, 1 stick of butter, package of dry Hidden Valley ranch dressing, McCormick Au Jus mix and 5 pepperoncini peppers.

Put the roast in the bottom, sprinkle with the ranch, then add the Au Jus mix.  Lay the stick of butter on top of the roast and the 5 peppers.  Do not add water.  Cook on low for 7-8 hours.  It's yummy yummy.

grettajo48

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2013, 02:44:51 PM »
I recently found a recipe for turkey breast cooked in a crockpot. Since it will be just my husband and me for Thanksgiving, this sounds like the way to go. Put 1 chopped onion and 1 chopped celery rib in the bottom of a 4-5 quart crockpot. Place a 5-6 lb. bone-in and skin on turkey breast on top and pour 1/4 cup of melted butter over the turkey. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add 1 cup of chicken broth and 1 cup of white wine (or 2 cups of chicken broth.) Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours or until meat thermometer registers 165 degrees. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds like it should work. The breast probably won't brown, but I think the turkey should be really moist.

Velcro

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2013, 06:35:11 AM »
Since this is the holiday season, and I make more sweets during this time, I also make caramel in my crock pot.  It's yummy and easy.  Buy sweetened condensed milk in a can. Just remove the label off the can and put into your slow cooker. Place it on a small plate or in a glass container. Fill the slow cooker with water until it covers the cans. Cook on low for 8 hours. Open cans and you have yourself some caramel!

meow

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2013, 02:54:16 PM »
LOVE my crock pot!  I use it constantly.

My favorite roast recipe is:  Chuck Roast, 1 stick of butter, package of dry Hidden Valley ranch dressing, McCormick Au Jus mix and 5 pepperoncini peppers.

Put the roast in the bottom, sprinkle with the ranch, then add the Au Jus mix.  Lay the stick of butter on top of the roast and the 5 peppers.  Do not add water.  Cook on low for 7-8 hours.  It's yummy yummy.
OMG, that sounds awesome. That's my next crockpot dinner.
I refuse to tiptoe quietly through life, only to arrive safely at death's door.

Sjogrens, Hashimotos, CFS.  Also, fast approaching CRS Syndrome ;)

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2013, 05:03:34 PM »
I love my crock pot. My favorite is the roast with the potatoes, carrots, onions, etc.

Can all of you imagine if this is what Caroline would do with a crock pot, what she would do with a pressure cooker??  :o ??? :-X :-\

susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

meow

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2013, 09:56:00 AM »
LOL!!!!!!
I got the chuck roast, the ranch dressing mix, the au jus mix...Saturday is the day, I think....

Velcro

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2013, 09:57:54 AM »
I hope you like it.  We love it!

Velcro

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2013, 09:58:45 AM »
Oh and I got a recipe this week for lasagna soup in the crock pot!  I'm going to make it first and then I'll post it if it's any good.

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2013, 12:13:06 PM »
Buy sweetened condensed milk in a can. Just remove the label off the can and put into your slow cooker. Place it on a small plate or in a glass container. Fill the slow cooker with water until it covers the cans. Cook on low for 8 hours. Open cans and you have yourself some caramel!

One time my Grandma cooked the can of condensed milk on the stove in a pan w/water.  My sister got a phone call from Grandma, "can you come over and help me clean caramel off the kitchen ceiling, the pan went dry and the can exploded!".   :o  :o  :o

Thankfully, Grandma didn't get hurt by the exploding can.

Oops!!

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Velcro

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2013, 11:17:28 AM »
Buy sweetened condensed milk in a can. Just remove the label off the can and put into your slow cooker. Place it on a small plate or in a glass container. Fill the slow cooker with water until it covers the cans. Cook on low for 8 hours. Open cans and you have yourself some caramel!

One time my Grandma cooked the can of condensed milk on the stove in a pan w/water.  My sister got a phone call from Grandma, "can you come over and help me clean caramel off the kitchen ceiling, the pan went dry and the can exploded!".   :o  :o  :o

Thankfully, Grandma didn't get hurt by the exploding can.

Oops!!

Bucky

Oops!

meow

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2013, 09:59:04 AM »
It was awesome. I cut the butter way down, though, because the meat was fairly fatty. For those who would eliminate it altogether, DON'T. It creates this nice, thin browned crust on the outside of the roast.

Velcro

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2013, 10:01:58 AM »
It was awesome. I cut the butter way down, though, because the meat was fairly fatty. For those who would eliminate it altogether, DON'T. It creates this nice, thin browned crust on the outside of the roast.

Glad you liked it.  Also, don't ever try using the "fake" butter.  I tried it once and it's not the same.

Carebear

« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2013, 01:55:43 PM »
Oh boy!  It'miserable outside...freezing cold and blizzarding.   But I have a crock pot full of chili waiting for me when I get home.   ;D
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.