Author Topic: Ear Pain? Suggestions?  (Read 2688 times)

quietdynamics

Ear Pain? Suggestions?
« on: January 24, 2014, 04:02:51 AM »

I am going to call the Dr. today.
I was hoping the ear pain was transient..but it has been a week now and the weekend starts tomorrow.

Just got over a month long flare..that really knock me down.
Now I have had a sharp intermittent pain in my right ear canal. My ears tend to be on the dry side. Thought maybe blocked..so tried some peroxide. Did not help. Did a lube job..no go. Humidity and heat in the home is at a good level for me. I have had ringing in my ears that started in 2011..reason unknown.

This is a new Dr. and will be my second time meeting with her.
So any guidance is appreciated. She has a friend who mother had Sjogrens...so she is open to information.

Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea, Livedo reticularis,

"You can't have a positive life with a  negative mind"

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
Re: Ear Pain? Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 04:49:24 AM »
Try wearing a mumps scarf to bed.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

A66eyroad

• Be kind to yourself today!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 04:57:24 AM »
Hello Quiet!

I also have lots of ear pain, some days worse than others. No doctor has ever been able to find anything wrong, and believe me, I've tried everything including a head MRI to rule out a neuroma (tumor on the nerve).

I've come to the conclusion that it's referred pain from swelling in my salivary glands that are so close to the nerves in the ear. There's nothing anyone can do for it. I take ibuprofen when it gets out of hand.

Hopefully, someone else has a better answer --- for both of us!
Female, 61
Sjogrens, UCTD, and subacute cutaneous lupus. Flu-like symptoms, mouth & nasal ulcers, itchy rash, high cholesterol, headache, earache, tinnitis, dizziness. Hangover-like nausea, especially in the a.m.
Plaquenil, Atabrine, DHEA, Aleve, Evoxac, Allegra/Benedryl, esomeprazole.

litliwlowa

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 05:23:19 AM »
Hi Quiet

I suggest going ahead and calling your doctor. Also, Joe's idea of a mumps scarf is a good one.

Back to calling your doctor - your ear needs to be checked.

Thinking it was back in Nov, my ear did similar, and as it turned out, I had my first ear infection since I was a teenager. I was floored actually. My PCP was floored also, as my eardrum was in his words BULGING out. I had no fever, only symptom was ear pain and it felt stuffy.

Then when that was cleared up, my ENT found that I had massive inflammation putting pressure on my eustachian tube on the affected ear. That part alleviated by next followup (this was all around the time it was discussed I had gluten intolerance, had been GF for about a month on f/up with ENT and all that aforementioned inflammation affecting that ear had alleviated)

Hugs

Amanda

SJS-Primary; Hashi's, Post surgical hypothyroidism, Hypoparathyroidism, Spondylolithesis, L&C Facet Arthropathy, Fibro, gluten intolerance, TBI, Radiculopathies, Neuralgias, Osteopenia, GERD, Asthma, Allergies. Sphincter Dyssynergia. OSA, Fasciitis, Cervical Spondylosis, Cancer, etc etc etc

quietdynamics

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 05:43:07 AM »

Thank you.

This is a new sharp, intermittent pain.
Pinch test on hand shows dehydration...guess I did not drink enough Gatorade..lol, Too busy passed out.
Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea, Livedo reticularis,

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 09:24:27 AM »
Hi quiet,

See the doctor, of course.

Ear pain should be addressed professionally, especially since it has lasted a long time.

I have Meniere's.  I do NOT have the vertigo, thank Goodness, but everything else.

Meniere's disease is a disorder of the inner ear. It can cause severe dizziness, a roaring sound in your ears called tinnitus, hearing loss that comes and goes and the feeling of ear pressure or pain. It usually affects just one ear. It is a common cause of hearing loss.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/menieresdisease.html

My Meniere's started with tinnitus, progressed to hearing loss, and feelings of fullness.  I also have had my hearing loss get better in one ear, since Meniere's isn't necessary permanent loss.  Tho' I can be.

I also have clicking in my ears, and some times pain, but not continuous.

Get your ears looked at.  Looking inside will tell the doctor quite a bit.

Hugs,  Elaine
Female-Elaine,78-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3-Naltrexone-Omeprazole-

finallyadx

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 01:18:38 PM »
I would tend to agree with others - get in to see a dr.  Sometimes when I have a sinus infection my ear(s) hurts before I realize I have a sinus infection and then other times I have had an ear infection...yes even at my age (45)!  Also I find when my salivary glands are bothering me I have pressure and pain in the ears. 

Hoping you can find some relief and some answers.
Primary ss dx 2013, plaquenil, vitamin d, iron supplements, vitamin b12, d-mannose for chronic UTI's, magnesium for heart palpatations and Zinc

quietdynamics

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 06:22:40 PM »

Picked up granddaughter from school early and saw the new Doctor.

Right ear has Acute Otitis Media, Serous...plain language, inflammation with fluid.
Left ear has Eustachian Tube Dysfunction, currently collapsed.

I see with Sjogrens this can be under the category of:
Xerostomia (altered taste/Eustachian tube obstruction with otitis media)
Great that there is no infection.

And might explain the chronic ringing/tinnitus ( like water running through pipes), desert dry ears and nasal passage.
Told the Dr. I am going to turn into a Cranraisin.

So more hydration for now. Rx a nasal spray for nose/ears and decongestant and Motrin for pain.  She said she has not seen successful treatments for this.
I think I will check the humidity level in the home. The heat has been running with the cold snaps and it rises to the bedrooms ...so perhaps what worked before is not enough at the moment...even though we turn the heat down an hour before bed and I have moisture in the bedroom, my side all day ...running. My eyes have been drier .. and there was that long flare w/ a long duration of gastro issues.

I did find a scant mention in Sjogrens Book online...not much information there.

And she was kind enough to order Dicyclomine for my Gastro Issues which are still acting up.
We are going to have a consult on how to treat/manage prolonged flares.

Hope everyone has a restful weekend.  And thank you for your help.  :)

quietdynamics

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 07:54:32 AM »

The Dr. Rx Nasonex, a spray she has me apply to my nose and ears.

Folks... I cannot believe that the level of sound in my ears (since 2011) has gone down.
I took a nap and woke, something was missing...the level of the noise. I sat up in bed and it was so close to silent.

I still have some pain in the right ear...following her orders of decongestant to work on the fluid there. Seems that the noise is from the right ear now, instead of both ears (which for years felt like my entire head was in "tonal concert"

Nasonex
It reduces inflammation by causing several effects

reversing the activation of inflammatory proteins
    activating the secretion of anti-inflammatory proteins
    stabilising cell membranes
    decreasing the influx of inflammatory cells

The exact anti-inflammatory mechanism of action is unknown.

Just amazed about the noise.
All this time I had noted the 'noise' to Drs, and they did check my ears, so probably being in an acute phase was the "Ace" to Dx, so this Dr. was able to actually see something.

Doing a Search  on "eustachian and sjogren's" there is information on this.

I remember when the noise first became really noticeable checking even the outside water to see if I had left the hose on.

gphx

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 08:38:11 AM »
I've had tinnitus intermittently for the past year or so. I noticed the high pitched whine tends to be most prominent at night when I lay down to sleep. Of course the house is usually quietest then so it seemed possible I just noticed it more but after a lot of observation I realized it had to do with being under the covers and warm. The hotter I get and the more dehydrated the more pronounced my tinnitus is. Caffeine and nicotine can aggravate the situation as well. Apparently NSAID pain relievers are also a very common trigger.

Sounds like you're on a good track for you. If you don't get satisfactory resolution you might observe some of the above for correlation with your tinnitus. Good luck.
Dxed unspecific 'sicca syndrome' eyes and mouth. Neuro issues, muscle weakness. SS Seronegative but high inflammatory markers. Diabetes dx 2010. Glucose control improved neuromuscular issues. Enlarged thyroid under observation 2013. Yippee.