Author Topic: Thank you Dr Oz and Venus!  (Read 8194 times)

Ripvanann

• "A DESIRE FULFILLED IS A TREE OF LIFE"
Re: Thank you Dr Oz and Venus!
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2013, 10:54:40 AM »
Speaking of celebs/famous people getting these diseases; ever wonder why NO ONE, literally not one person in the White House has an AI (that we've heard of)? Nor do they get cancers and the like. When we hear that one is sick (rarely), they're "cured" in day.

Ted Kennedy was the youngest person I can remember actually dying from cancer and he was 77. It's just that pure statistics would say somethin' ain't right here. Right? Anyway, not a conspiracy theorist (much =) ) but it does make me ask "How?"

I've never watched Dr. Oz  nor listened to him because his advertisements annoyed me, didn't want to subject myself to an entire show. Venus, regardless of how bad she's been hit by this, should speak up for us. Surely she's done her research enough to know what could happen to her. Obviously she wants to get publicity via her disease, then at least give a voice to the voiceless here and not be entirely self serving.
Primary SjS, Steroid Induced Cushing's Syndrome, RA, Thyroiditis, Hyperparathyroidism, Raynaud's, Autonomic & Small Fiber NLeuropathy, Fibro. Osteoporosis, & other fun stuff associated w/ the afore mentioned. ~Meds: prednisone, Plaqu, Citracal D & Pain Meds, Compazine, phenergan, Iberogast.

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2013, 11:43:06 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't JFK suffer from Addison's Disease? I don't remember any particular pains taken to avoid disclosure, but I do remember hearing of secret world wide "stashes" of prednisone to be available at a moments notice if needed.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

warmwaters

• Just keep swimming - Dora
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2013, 01:37:13 PM »
There have been many people with health issues in the White House, Congress, and other public offices. It is only in the past few years (maybe 20-30) that health issues were discussed publicly - before then those things were kept very hush-hush. No public figure wanted to admit any weakness, and it was a much more private era. Even now my elderly parents tend to whisper the word "cancer" like they are saying a bad word. 

FDR was crippled from polio, but there are only a few pictures of him in his wheel chair. There was a gentlemen's agreement with the press that these sorts of things were private. JFK had a bad back and Addison's, and according to some accounts a raging drug habit, but again, all hush-hush.

Betty Ford was one of the first public figures to be open about health issues - she was diagnosed with breast cancer while in the White House, and it was a big deal that she was open about it. Later she admitted to addiction issues, and opened the now famous Betty Ford Rehab. Bob Dole had mobility issues, and had all sorts of ways of disguising them.

Pols are afraid a health problem can be used against them.  You can picture the ads - "Jane Smith has periods of lightheadness .... Do you want her to be in charge?"
Primary Sjogrens, dx June 2009, Immunoglobulin deficiency, axial spondylosis arthritis, IBS, autonomic neuropathy
Omeprazone DR 40 mg, mobic 15 mg, Plaquenil, LDN, B1, B6, B12, D, fludrocortisone, gralise, various inhalers

KS123

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2013, 01:58:02 PM »
im just pleased it was on tv!!! a huge step for us.. i am so tired of people saying what is that??? and i have to explain and say its related to lupus--(they always know what lupus is)

i was diagnosed age 19.. w/ fatigue..  bad symptoms didnt begin until age 32. i am 38 now and on disability.. but my attitude has changed and i do the best i can.. i am even on an online dating site.. why not!   lots of people have lots of things wrong w/ them but we have to keep trucking!

Dee

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2013, 08:41:11 PM »
How disappointing to hear this, but it friggin figures. Maybe we should all leave comments on his Facebook page that sjogrens is much more than sicca and that as actual sjogrens patients we feel misrepresented and done a great disservice as his show is watched by many, and flood his network with letters re the same. They can be short sweet and too the point.

slccom

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2013, 08:46:32 PM »
Don't overdo the sweetness part!

Soft-pedaling the illness really hurts us.

Sharon

Dee

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2013, 08:49:08 PM »
Duly noted they can be short and to the point

lolo1979

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2013, 09:27:53 PM »
My husband said "wow babe! You've got a bunch of angry women inside you attacking you. You are an angry woman filled with more angry women!!!" No wonder you feel so bad! (Disclaimer: I may have been a little hormonal and crabby that day!)

In general I am usually not satisfied with the coverage dr oz gives anything on that show. He never dedicates the full hour of time to the "main" topic, which doesn't allow for good coverage even if he wanted to.

He did a show about Toni Braxton and her lupus recently and it was even less helpful and informative than the one on Venus. Just my humble opinion.

gurs

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2013, 03:37:00 AM »
I stopped watching OZ because his show seems to focus on weight loss....

Yes, wonder what other medical therapies Venus is on? the all tend to keep it quiet..probably for legal issues?

Im sure someone in government has AI issues, but would rather keep it quiet.

Ughhhhhhhh..

Gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

adaubrey

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2013, 11:54:58 AM »
I gave up on Dr Oz a long time ago and seeing this segment reminded me why.
UGH that silly little immune skit. UGH. 

Nancy60

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2013, 01:58:04 PM »
I stopped watching him several years ago too,  his approach just seemed demeaning to the general public the way he discusses illnesses and the human bedy and how it functions. I also got the feeling he is more into it because he loves being in the spotlight.  He just hasn't impressed me much as being very sincere. Just my humble opinion though.

Nancy

SjoGirl

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2013, 12:50:13 PM »
I have found that many physicians and others are addressing health issues, but their solution in too many cases is taking supplements that they sell. While I am not poo pooing all supplements, I am increasingly realizing that the sale of supplements is an unregulated and very lucrative business.

I take some supplements, but have also learned from my PCP that too much of a supplement is not a good thing. Also, research increasingly suggests the best way to ingest and have your body use vitamins is through food.

I take only a multivitamin that has iron in it (because I am anemic) or iron. Otherwise I have dramatically changed my diet to ensure that I get my vitamins that way. My readings, D, B12, etc. have all been in the normal range since.

Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

KS123

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2013, 03:19:05 PM »
i know for awhile Dr. Oz was suggesting omega 7 i believe for sjogrens.. well my docs said no don't take.. and i do use coconut oil a lot-mostly cause it is supposed to be healthy and because it makes my veggies a little sweet.. 

the only supplement besides natures made multi vitamin i take is an $$ fish oil which seems to help my mgd..i still have it but it has gotten about 30% better on it... i just hate taking so many darn pills.

Velcro

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2013, 10:58:27 AM »
I'm very disappointed in Venus as well, as when she does speak about it, it is very light and doesn't get into details.  I want a spokesperson who will shout from the rooftops and doesn't care to share the entire story of their treatment and struggles instead of downplaying it.

I know, it was a celebrity face to put to the disease, but I'm tired of hearing, "Oh so you have what Venus Williams has?  Well that's really good because she's doing absolutely great and still playing hard!"

finallyadx

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2013, 01:24:19 PM »
I am with you Velcro - we need a spokesperson who will tell the whole ugly truth about sjogrens and not sugar coat it.  As far as Dr. Oz is concerned - sounds like he has never treated anyone with sjogrens before so he should not speak about it. 

Although I think it is great that sjogrens is receiving more publicity it needs to be the whole truth of what it could be and what it can do not just how well a celebrity seems to be doing after being diagnosed. 
Primary ss dx 2013, plaquenil, vitamin d, iron supplements, vitamin b12, d-mannose for chronic UTI's, magnesium for heart palpatations and Zinc