Author Topic: Thank you Dr Oz and Venus!  (Read 8140 times)

Chris

Thank you Dr Oz and Venus!
« on: October 10, 2013, 01:33:38 PM »
Finally Dr Oz discusses Sjogren's on his show today!!!
47 year old mom of two. Sjogrens, Hashimotos,small fiber neuropathy, neurogenic atrophy(myocitis)
Armour, methotrexate, plaquenil, folic acid,
Vit D3',Claritin, ,Ivig, Rituxin

jazzlover

Re: Thank you Dr Oz and Venus!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 01:37:45 PM »
Dang! I forgot to tune in. I have it on now. I saw yesterday that she would be on his show.

Hope you guys got to see Katie Couric yesterday. She had a discussion on Lyme disease.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

Chris

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 01:44:10 PM »
Oz usually repeats in the AM the next day on East Coast
47 year old mom of two. Sjogrens, Hashimotos,small fiber neuropathy, neurogenic atrophy(myocitis)

P.Trish

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 03:17:34 PM »
Thanks ! I'm recording it (I live on the West coast).
female dx'd Jan 2012, English/Drama Teacher: retired, plaquenil 400mg, aspirin 80 mg, Lisinipril 20mg,  fish oil, multi vitamins, methyl pred  pack (every 2 months) evoxac, d-mannose, biotin, gluten free
. Stroke survivor  'Have a heart that never hardens and a touch that never hurts" (Dickens)

powderpuff

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 03:36:48 PM »
I watched the show as well and the FB comments on the Sjogrens.org FB page. I saw many unhappy comments about how the disease was minimized and Dr. Oz only discussed dry eyes and dry mouth and organ involvement was not discussed.

I'm happy the discussion is still going on. May it never stop!

PP

Chris

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 05:57:54 PM »
I agree but it was mentioned on his show!!  Baby steps!!!

slccom

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 11:06:16 PM »
His advice was always really shallow and showed no understanding of good research. Since Dr. Oz started hawking his own vitamins, he has lost all credibility with me, anyhow.

Sharon

gurs

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 03:25:13 AM »
They all seem to minimize SS..why dont they show a video of one of us, bedridden, or getting some Rituxan, IVIG, or something like that? and also discuss more of the neuro issues.

One day? A girl can dream cant she? ha ha

Gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

Skylar

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 04:16:54 AM »
Dr. Oz never fails to disappoint - it's entertainment and when we expect truly useful information he doesn't deliver.

Sadly another missed opportunity - especially since you consider that Sjogren's is, I believe, the second most common autoimmune disease. I don't know about you, but when I was diagnosed with it all I knew was it was dry eyes and dry mouth - big whoop. I had no idea all the other crap it was doing and will continue to do on my body. I didn't even know the damage that could come about on your teeth and digestion from dry mouth and the potential for damage to the eye from dryness.

Christine435

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 05:05:07 AM »
I saw it. In my humble opinion, the show was a travesty. Making a mockery of an illness is worse than having the exposure for the illness. Enough said.

SjoAmy

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 05:50:19 AM »
We are asking doctors to think out of the box.  Most think of boxes inside of boxes without deviation from textbooks and research. 

Indeed, we can and do get systemically sick.  I hate to say this, but if you want a public figure to bring attention to the severity of Sjogren's Syndrome......that public figure is going to have to meet some of the severe intensity of our disease first, and get systemically sick.

The day that the public figures have to go through IVIG....then we'll hear more intense discussion.

I long for the day that they all realize that Sjogren's Syndrome is similar in character and overlapping of Lupus, RA, Fibromyalgia, Lyme Disease, and others.

Carebear

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 07:55:14 AM »
I have long stopped watching Dr. Oz.  His focus has been on quick weight loss gimics for some time now. 

I am not surprised he minimized Sjogren's. 
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.

Velcro

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 09:07:08 AM »
I saw it. In my humble opinion, the show was a travesty. Making a mockery of an illness is worse than having the exposure for the illness. Enough said.

This!

P.Trish

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2013, 09:12:15 AM »
Huge disappointment - Dr Oz's 'theatrical' depiction was almost embarrassing in its attempt to portray sjogrens in a comedic theme,which didn't even  touch on the seriousness of the disease.

Venus simply does not want to talk in depth about her treatment/maintenance program.

My husband was more upset than I  - growing weary of Dr. Oz's skits, in general. Am I - alas - losing my sense of humor?

Dr. Oz needs to read these postings!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 09:15:35 AM by P.Trish »
female dx'd Jan 2012, English/Drama Teacher: retired, plaquenil 400mg, aspirin 80 mg, Lisinipril 20mg,  fish oil, multi vitamins, methyl pred  pack (every 2 months) evoxac, d-mannose, biotin, gluten free
. Stroke survivor  'Have a heart that never hardens and a touch that never hurts" (Dickens)

babsinga

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2013, 10:33:49 AM »
Hi I didn't see it but what bothers me is that all the references to the show online talk about how Venus Williams is on an anti inflammatory raw vegan diet. What they do not mention is that she is also on Plaquenil. THey make it sound like her solution and cure to Sjogrens is her diet.