Author Topic: Sjogren's & COUGH  (Read 1688 times)

mshistory

Re: Sjogren's & COUGH
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2013, 09:39:13 PM »
I've had this problem for over two years. Now, I also have exertional cough (even laughing will cause a coughing fit), and shortness of breath. Inhalers don't help. Last rheumy visit, he heard rales at base of lungs. x-ray was clear, but I'm having a CT scan this week to double check. I have no clue what's causing such bad symptoms for me and we've never found a cause! It's frustrating - I just want to find something FIXABLE!
SLE and SjS. ANA >1:1280 speckled,
SS-A >8.0, RF positive. Benlysta, Botox for migraines, Clonazepam, Zoloft, Imitrex for migraines, CellCept 1500 mg, Plaquenil 200 mg, Restasis, Zofran for nausea, Gabapentin, Evoxac and Norco for pain.

slccom

• Sharon,
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2013, 12:08:24 AM »
I haven't been able to laugh hard without coughing hard for decades. I miss that.

Sharon
Sharon, 57-YO female, Sjogren's, depression, sicca, ataxia, hard of hearing, neuropathy,  high BP, arthritis, more. Restasis, pilocarpine, Wellbutrin, Lexapro, oxygen, arthrotec, HRT, plaquinel.

Deb

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2013, 01:51:14 AM »
I have chronic bronchitis and puffers only work once in awhile. I don't take anything for it I just cough like I have a cold all the time.  I got that about three years ago.  They blamed it on smoking but I don't do that anymore.  It may have triggered it but I cough more NOW than when I smoked.  Keep looking into it until you are satisfied!!! 

My doctor and I go to the ends of the testing to eliminate the bad things and work our way to the more doable things.  My tests always come back clear.  CT's MRI's xrays, blood work....it is frustrating so don't quit till YOU feel okay with the answer!!

slccom

• Sharon,
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2013, 09:54:49 AM »
Reflux, sinus drainage and "asthma" caused my horrendous cough. Keep looking, and have them look for a combination of things.

Sharon
Sharon, 57-YO female, Sjogren's, depression, sicca, ataxia, hard of hearing, neuropathy,  high BP, arthritis, more. Restasis, pilocarpine, Wellbutrin, Lexapro, oxygen, arthrotec, HRT, plaquinel.

Katybarstool

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2013, 04:35:51 PM »
Hi

I had sudden onset of dry cough some years ago. I also started with a different cough at the same time. I was started on Salbutamol and prednisolone ... and kept on coughing, so bad that I lost my voice for around 3 months. After a CT and immunoloy consult, I was finally diagnosed with asthma and bronchiectasis - this at age 48.

Steroid inhalers didn't agree with me, so I'm now on a combination of Serevent, Salbutamol and Tiotropium Bromide, and doing very well.

Kathx   

slukic1972

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2013, 08:22:43 AM »
Here is the UPDATE!
Went to see Dr Jamie Kaufman in New York who is the guru for LPR/GERD. She confirmed both! She repeated the pepsin test which came positive this time. She indicated that is her patent and actually nobody else should use it. She did the barium test which show only mild GERD/LPR but when she perform endoscopy the irregular z line showed that I had this for a very long time and is quite severe. Sjogren's prob made it worse. Interesting enough I never had clasic symptoms (hearburn, etc) only cough, trouble swallowing, etc. She is putting me on a very strict diet, specific meds, etc. She indicated this is completely treatable and that 100% of Sjogren's have the LPR.  Of course, I already feel better then I did. What amaze me is that we often think that cough & trouble eating is lungs, dryness etc but very often is GERD/LPR that our regular doctor dismiss or don't give us treatment that is strict enough.

amc2861

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2013, 08:46:05 AM »
I had a dry cough for several months and was on lisinopril.  My Dr changed my bp medicine and I have not noticed the cough lately.
SS 2014, meloxicam, pilocarpine, tramadol, levothyroxine, chlorthalidine, b12,  D.

slccom

• Sharon,
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2013, 09:05:51 AM »
Good point, AMC. I was put on an ACE inhibitor. So was my Dad. He referred to the "cough" as "coughing my toenails up."  That is about right. I often ended up throwing up from the coughing.

Sharon

SjoAmy

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2013, 10:26:30 PM »
Tessalon Pearls.  Helps me with that "toenail" cough all the time.  Need a docs Rx for it.  My pulmno doesn't mind.
Epilepsy; Sjogren's Syndrome; RA; Hashimoto's; Meralgia Paresthetica, Peripheral Neuropathy; Chronic Bronchitis w/COPD;

slccom

• Sharon,
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2013, 02:48:00 AM »
Tessalon never did a darned thing for me.
Sharon

justwondering

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2013, 09:36:21 AM »
I don't have the cough but my reflux is pretty severe. Initially I thought I had ulcers or a gallbladder problem. I could barely eat for months without causing stomach upset/ stomach pain. I lost a lot of weight. And yes I'd frequently wake up choking on acid refluxing into my mouth. Nexium makes a big difference, but even on it, I can still wake up choking on reflux in the middle of the night - only the fluid doesn't burn because the Nexium has neutralized the acid. I have also had referred GERD pain that made me think I was having a heart attack.

On occasion I'll get hoarseness and sometimes a cough, but it's not chronic and usually goes away, particularly if I up my dose of Nexium.

Diet has never made any difference, though alcohol (more than 1-2 glasses of wine) definitely does not help, and having a heavy meal right before bedtime doesn't help either.

Sometimes I can successfully taper down my dose and even go off of Nexium for awhile, but it always comes back eventually. Sometimes (lately) I've noticed it's getting worse even while on what should be a perfectly adequate dose. You have to taper Nexium or else you experience rebound ? which can be pretty severe. I am a champ at the long slow taper now. But even then, it seems to always eventually come back, for no reason I can pinpoint - not diet, not alcohol, not eating too close to bedtime, etc.

There's all this stuff on the web about how some with GERD have low acid, not high. And there are sites that recommend a way you can test this, with HCL challenge. I tried that once and even with just a single pill or two, had severe stomach burning. So I am confident my problem is not low acid. With silent reflux, that may be case I suppose - did your doctor mention that?

justwondering

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2013, 09:38:35 AM »
Another thing that doesn't help: sleeping pills!!!!

The sounder I sleep, the more deeply, the more likely I am to wake up choking on reflux. I think it's because in deep sleep all your muscles including your throat/esophagus/stomach etc relax too much??? That's my theory?

slukic1972

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2013, 09:00:33 AM »
I recemmend that you see Dr Jamie Koufman if you can. She is Out of Network so more expensive than regular ENT and her office is in New York but she is quite good. Most of her patient gratuate from the program within 1 year.