Author Topic: "Cog-Fog" aka brain fog: link  (Read 1531 times)

olmphoto2

"Cog-Fog" aka brain fog: link
« on: September 26, 2013, 04:34:19 AM »
Found this personal piece on an MS site---I identified with it.  Poor hubby, he really has been having to wait until it "comes around on the guitar" shall I say with my trying to find words, especially again during this nearly 2 month long deep flare that I'm in now.  (My reference about waiting is from the old Arlo Guthrie song "Alice's Restaurant" for those of you old enough to remember. :) )  Yup, telling or not telling others and timing to do that is always a concern for me, real dilemma---heck some of those supposed closest to me still basically don't have a clue what is entailed here for me/us.

[/size]http://multiplesclerosis.net/living-with-ms/cog-fog/
Mary Ann in Wisconsin

"A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that is unlocked and opens inwards as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push." 
          Ludwig Wittgenstein

warmwaters

• Just keep swimming - Dora
Re: "Cog-Fog" aka brain fog: link
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 09:22:14 AM »
Alice's Restaurant is still part of our Thanksgiving tradition, which tells you we're probably from the same generation.  I grew up near where the events that are the basis for the song happened, and my folks now live in the same town as Arlo and his family.

Found this personal piece on an MS site---I identified with it.  Poor hubby, he really has been having to wait until it "comes around on the guitar" shall I say with my trying to find words, especially again during this nearly 2 month long deep flare that I'm in now.  (My reference about waiting is from the old Arlo Guthrie song "Alice's Restaurant" for those of you old enough to remember. :) )  Yup, telling or not telling others and timing to do that is always a concern for me, real dilemma---heck some of those supposed closest to me still basically don't have a clue what is entailed here for me/us.

[/size]http://multiplesclerosis.net/living-with-ms/cog-fog/
Primary Sjogrens, dx June 2009, Immunoglobulin deficiency, axial spondylosis arthritis, IBS, autonomic neuropathy
Omeprazone DR 40 mg, mobic 15 mg, Plaquenil, LDN, B1, B6, B12, D, fludrocortisone, gralise, various inhalers

warmwaters

• Just keep swimming - Dora
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 09:25:21 AM »
And by the way - I've totally been there on the cog-fog, or as we call them here at my house "brain cramps". My family is great, no worries there.  If I find it happening with people I don't know very well, I tend to just let others carry the conversation, which is different from how I used to be in groups, but seems to work ok.
Primary Sjogrens, dx June 2009, Immunoglobulin deficiency, axial spondylosis arthritis, IBS, autonomic neuropathy
Omeprazone DR 40 mg, mobic 15 mg, Plaquenil, LDN, B1, B6, B12, D, fludrocortisone, gralise, various inhalers

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 11:52:08 AM »
Try mixing cog-fog with hearing loss.

Lots of nodding and smiling.

Like with a foreign language.

It does work.

The otolaryngologist told me that 80% of the time, when you smile, and nod, you are doing what you would have done had you understood.

The other 20% of the time you are now the proud owner of a Bridge in Brooklyn or a time share in the Bahamas.

Hugs

Elaine
Female-Elaine,78-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3-Naltrexone-Omeprazole-