Author Topic: PSS and Thyroid (Fatigue, cognitve, etc)...Article for consideration  (Read 1320 times)

quietdynamics

I have read that often PSS (Primary Sjogrens) patients develop Thyroid disease/dysfunction.  I had tested with fluctuating numbers pre-Dx, and now post Dx show thyroid antibodies. 

Reading the symptoms perhaps not conviently under the umbrella of Sjogrens?

Today received a new article about Hypothyroid and sharing it with you here for your consideration.

Background ...you can search other studies.
Thyroid disease in primary Sjögren syndrome. Study in a series of 160 patients.
 In conclusion, thyroid disease occurred in more than one-third of patients with primary SS;
.. Our results indicate that middle-aged women (with or without SS) should be screened periodically for thyroid function.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10771708

Article:  I subscribe to Psychiatric Times.
Hypothyroidism: An Important Diagnostic Consideration for the Psychiatrist
By Kristi R. Estabrook, MD and Thomas W. Heinrich, MD

Highlights-
-The prevalence of hypothyroidism in the US general population is estimated to be 1 in 300 persons; however, rates of hypothyroidism are higher in certain populations.2 Hypothyroidism is 10 times more common in women than in men, but with increasing age, it becomes more common in persons of both sexes.

-Subclinical hypothyroid-ism is even more common and occurs in 4.3% to 8.5% of the general US population

-Populations with a higher risk of hypothyroidism include postpartum women and persons with a family history, previous head or neck surgeries, endocrine conditions such as diabetes, and nonendocrine autoimmune disorders such as multiple sclerosis.

-Although the signs and symptoms of hypothyroidism are nonspecific, certain symptoms, such as cold intolerance, dry skin, constipation, muscle cramps, and fatigue, may have increased specificity for the disease.

- Clinical symptoms such as poor concentration, weight changes, memory issues, and poor energy are common overlapping symptoms of depression and hypothyroidism

-Cognitive dysfunction. Cognitive impairment is common in hypothyroidism and can range from mild to severe. Deficits vary from impaired concentration and slowed processing speed to general declines in intelligence, psychomotor speed, visual-spatial skills, and memory.

-Summary

Hypothyroidism is a common clinical disorder that psychiatrists frequently encounter. However, symptoms of thyroid dysfunction are often vague and nonspecific, which can lead to delayed or missed diagnosis. Thyroid dysfunction can cause an array of physical and neuropsychiatric disturbances and, thus, early diagnosis and treatment are important for reducing morbidity. Psychiatric symptoms can be the initial presentation of thyroid dysfunction. Psychiatrists must have a high degree of suspicion for potential underlying, exacerbating, or treatment-related thyroid disorders.
http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/bipolar-disorder/hypothyroidism-important-diagnostic-consideration-psychiatrist/page/0/3?GUID=C0D388E2-028B-476E-929D-5A9C67BDE43B&rememberme=1&ts=19092013
Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea, Livedo reticularis,

"You can't have a positive life with a  negative mind"

Velcro

Re: PSS and Thyroid (Fatigue, cognitve, etc)...Article for consideration
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 08:10:55 AM »
Great articles.  One thing I have noticed in my research, since I started having thyroid nodules, is the lack of knowledge among Doctors on how they treat it.  It is so "old school" to only treat based on TSH.  Every new study and patients themselves will tell you they feel best when they are treated based off of FT4 and FT3, not off of TSH, and that being in range, is not what helps them. 

From what the consensus say, a TSH lower than the standard, around .5 to 1, and a FT4 and FT3 of at least 75% of the range makes them feel the best.  When will Doctors catch up and start listening to their patients....sigh

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 08:13:43 AM »
Good idea to remind everyone.

I always get tested for thyroid, and so far, no problem.

I keep thinking it would be nice to get something to 'pep me up'.

Well, maybe my new IgG infusions will do that, eventually, by slowing down my autoimmune 'flares'.

That would be nice.

Keep all the information coming!

Hugs

Elaine
Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3

quietdynamics

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 08:17:44 AM »

Thyroid Test: Yes, I have needed to tell a Dr. that a TSH was not adequate.
See the comments under the article...someone mentions 'saliva test"?  HPA and adrenal, etc.
I have the name of an endo.
Next... :)
Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea, Livedo reticularis,

"You can't have a positive life with a  negative mind"

Velcro

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 10:03:24 AM »
If I remember right, I think the saliva test was for cortisol?