Author Topic: Association of Statin Use With Cataracts  (Read 2836 times)

Velcro

Association of Statin Use With Cataracts
« on: September 20, 2013, 07:11:50 AM »
If you are on these for high cholesterol, you might be interested in this or make sure you keep up with your eye visits.

http://archopht.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1739520

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
Re: Association of Statin Use With Cataracts
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 07:46:33 AM »
Just a word about cataracts.

Cataracts are formed fairly naturally, as we age.

The treatment, which is currently a fairly painless outpatient surgery to remove the natural clouded lens and replace it with a plastic lens, is usually covered by insurance.

I had the surgery at 60, and the second eye cataract surgery was done without any anesthetic, except topical.  It was quite interesting, but not painful.

I do not understand why older people are so 'upset' about having this surgery? 

Of course there is a risk in any surgery.

But I keep repeating, the BIGGEST risk we face every day is riding in or driving a car.  But no one agonizes over that.

In fact, I found out recently that calculations have shown that the result of 9/11 caused more people to drive to destinations, resulting in more deaths in autos than in air accidents.   People stopped flying to avoid air disasters and so were killed in their cars.

Our perception of risk is highly skewed to the bizarre and rare (strikes by lightening) and away from real risk from car accidents and falling in the bathroom.

OH well,

It's always something, and THEN, it's something else.

Hugs

Elaine (aka Carolina)

Female-Elaine,76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3