Author Topic: Bad eye infection  (Read 1260 times)

Diane54

Bad eye infection
« on: September 20, 2013, 07:38:59 AM »
Wedding went off without a hitch...woke up Tuesday with what looks like I got hit in the face by a boxer. Went to eye doctor....a stye....he tried to rupture it but it wouldn't break...put me on antibiotic drops and said if it didn't look better today to call for an oral antibiotic. Woke up today and the eye is twice as big as it was yesterday.......oral antibiotics have been called in.  Anyone ever experience this with SS? This is my first stye ever and hope it's my last! Grrrrrrrrrrr!
Sjogren's diagnosed Dec 20, 2010, Hypothyroid, Diabetes 2, Autoimmune Hepatitis, Mitral Valve  Prolapse, Gerds, Antiphospholipid Syndrome,  Synthroid, Paxil, Prilosec, Evoxac, Plaquenil, Tramadol, Simvistatin, Restasis, Baby Asprin, vitamin D, Januvia, Amlodipine, Gabapentine

Velcro

Re: Bad eye infection
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 07:45:14 AM »
Ooooh....me me!  I used to get them all the time!  They stinko!

I started using an eye-makeup remover at night.  Prior to that, I just used my face wash.  My Optometrist told me that "normally" a stye comes from a clogged eyelash and that my mascara or eyeliner was probably contributing to it and suggested the eye-makeup remover to make sure I got it all off.  Since I've been using it for about a year now, I haven't had one (knock on wood).

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 07:57:40 AM »
On Styes:

Here is what the Mayo has to say:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sty/DS00257

A sty (hordeolum) is a red, painful lump near the edge of your eyelid that may look like a boil or a pimple. Sties are often filled with pus. A sty usually forms on the outside of your eyelid, but sometimes a sty can form on the inner part of your eyelid.

In most cases, a sty will begin to disappear on its own in a few days. In the meantime, you may be able to relieve the pain or discomfort of a sty by applying a warm washcloth to your eyelid.

They always distress me.  But generally they are self limiting, tho' I usually get an antibiotic eye drop anyway.

They aren't fun, but unless you have some related reason to be concerned, they aren't a threat to your eye or your health.

Hugs

Elaine
Female-Elaine,78-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3-Naltrexone-Omeprazole-

Diane54

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 09:56:16 AM »
Ugh....mine is underneath the lid......soooo sore!
Sjogren's diagnosed Dec 20, 2010, Hypothyroid, Diabetes 2, Autoimmune Hepatitis, Mitral Valve  Prolapse, Gerds, Antiphospholipid Syndrome,  Synthroid, Paxil, Prilosec, Evoxac, Plaquenil, Tramadol, Simvistatin, Restasis, Baby Asprin, vitamin D, Januvia, Amlodipine, Gabapentine

slccom

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 10:13:22 AM »
Ugh....mine is underneath the lid......soooo sore!

Ouch! I hope the antibiotics clear it up quickly!

Hugs, Sharon

gphx

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 12:47:29 PM »
Some of us have troubles with the Meibomian glands along the edge of the eyelids. For some this can cause chronic inflammation known as blepharitis. Blepharitis sometimes leads to styes. Since the Meibomian glands are oil glands and get blocked somewhat analogous to chronic blackheads and occasional acne.

In an office procedure the glands are punctured and the trapped oil expressed. Not only does this help with blepharitis it also often improves function for a while. Basically the same thing teenagers do to blackheads with a needle only on the eyelids done by a professional.

Less drastic is an often recommended home treatment, washing the margins of the eyelids with diluted no tears baby shampoo then applying wet compresses. This can soften the oil blocking the glands and restore a bit of flow. It also keeps them clean minimizing blepharitis or more severe infection such as styes. If styes become a habit you might give the cleanse a try.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 12:51:10 PM by gphx »
Dxed unspecific 'sicca syndrome' eyes and mouth. Neuro issues, muscle weakness. SS Seronegative but high inflammatory markers. Diabetes dx 2010. Glucose control improved neuromuscular issues. Enlarged thyroid under observation 2013. Yippee.