Author Topic: EMG/ Nerve Conduction Test  (Read 887 times)

McKorky

EMG/ Nerve Conduction Test
« on: August 14, 2013, 12:08:07 AM »
The back pain that I have been experiencing for quite sometime now is just worsening. I am also having tingling and numbness in my hands and feet. Rheum doc is sending me to a Neurologist and I will be having an EMG/ Nerve conduction test on September 6th. Kinda freaked about this test but know it has to be done!
-McKorky-
*diagnosed w/SJS in Aug 2012
*Primary Sjogren's
*PCOS
*metabolic disease
*high blood pressure
*NASH
*small fiber neuropathy
*diagnosed with RA Oct 21, 2013
*college student
* www.mysjogrensjourney.tumblr.com

BKreader

Re: EMG/ Nerve Conduction Test
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 12:52:12 AM »
I just had these tests done. They were not painful in my opinion. Part of the testing just felt like when you get zapped by static electricity except not quite as shrp and slightly more sustained. I am not sure which test was what but the part that used acupuncture needles was not as bad as I thought but it did hurt a bit more. I felt the information gathered was well worth the mild discomfort. I my case the tests only showed the slightly reduction of conductivity on one wrist. My doctor seemed very knowledgable about Sjogren's and CREST Syndrom (which my Rhuemy is trying to rule in/ or out) explained some of specific things he was looking at. He also explained what is likely causing some of my pain and numbness problems. I actually felt very reassured after.

I am sorry you are in pain. I hope your experience will be a positive one. I just didn't want you to worry about the procedures.
SjS, Hashimoto's, GERD, Perioral Dermatitis
Levothyroxine, Liothyronine Sodium, Evoxac, Plaquinil, Gabapentin, Prilosec
Salmon oil, Flax oil, NAC, Ubiquinol, B-1, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Vit C, Multi Vit, Tears Naturale

ktfabian

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 01:06:04 AM »
McKorky,

I've had this test done a number of times on both my arms and my legs. I, too, feel they really aren't as bad as their reputation makes them out to be. There is some discomfort and even some pain, but it happens so fast and then it's over.

I had no residual pain after the test. My first EMG/Nerve Conduction was done after I injured my back and was having trouble with tingling and weakness in my left leg. They did both legs to compare the responses. It was uncomfortable for short bursts, but one the test was over, that was it. It didn't cause my pain to flair or leave me with any lingering pain.

The hardest part, I think, is the time leading up to the test when you're wondering how much it's going to hurt. I hope your experience is as good as the many times I had it done.

Best of luck,
Tracy

SjoGirl

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 07:33:30 PM »
McCorky I am having testing done at the end of this month. If I remember I'll let you know how it went.
Raynauds, SjS, Anemia, neutropenia, leukopenia, thrombocytopenia, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, Reclast, Restasis, Vitamin D, Feosol (if my iron levels really dip).

lindaneall

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 08:11:42 PM »
I just had these tests done last Friday. After what I had read before, I had expected much worse. I told my husband that my body is so used to getting "stung, jabbed, jolted, burned" from the neuropathies, that some electric shocks from the Nerve Conduction Test weren't all that bad. Thankfully those test results were normal, so I don't have a large fiber neuropathy.

Good luck! Just relax. You will do fine:)

McKorky

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 10:44:09 PM »
thank you all for telling me its not as bad for what its made out to be.... makes me feel more at ease!  having the test done on the 6th so not too much longer
-McKorky-
*diagnosed w/SJS in Aug 2012
*Primary Sjogren's
*PCOS
*metabolic disease
*high blood pressure
*NASH
*small fiber neuropathy
*diagnosed with RA Oct 21, 2013
*college student
* www.mysjogrensjourney.tumblr.com

quietdynamics

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 11:59:01 AM »

Hello McKorky...I had the test..there were moments of discomfort. And then it is over.
I do steady, slow deep breathing and try to stay relaxed in all tests...and before them as well.
They need to be done..so best to help ourselves by trying to stay calm.
And think of something pleasant during the test...a paradise island, etc.

"... breathing decisively influences autonomic and pain processing... in concert with relaxation as the essential feature in the modulation of sympathetic arousal and pain perception."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21939499

* So shallow breathing, tension,etc...probably could heighten pain  ;)
Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea

SjoGirl

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 09:04:38 PM »
Most of the testing was OK though the multiple shocks at the end, on my ankle, were tough. Like others said the pain did not linger at all (like my lip biopsy).

Got xray results, just have arthritis in my lower back. Who knows what is causing the weakness, I suspect the SjS though the doc who did the testing said it could be muscle disease of a kind not revealed by EMG.

Thanks all.
Raynauds, SjS, Anemia, neutropenia, leukopenia, thrombocytopenia, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, Reclast, Restasis, Vitamin D, Feosol (if my iron levels really dip).

gphx

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 09:45:14 PM »
They like to vigorously scrub the areas they're placing the electrodes for good conduction. If you have sensitive skin don't let them get too carried away. After my EMG I developed round scabs everywhere they'd placed an electrode including the middle of my forehead. Tell them to go easy on the 'sandpapering'.
Dxed unspecific 'sicca syndrome' eyes and mouth. Neuro issues, muscle weakness. SS Seronegative but high inflammatory markers. Diabetes dx 2010. Glucose control improved neuromuscular issues. Enlarged thyroid under observation 2013. Yippee.

jazzlover

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 09:52:23 PM »
We're all different. I plan to NEVER have that done again. Period. And I am not a wuss!  :P
Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib, neuropathy, plantar fasciitis

warmwaters

• Never, never, never  quit - Winston Churchill
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 10:19:56 AM »
I hope you get a doctor like mine.  I found it somewhat uncomfortable (i.e 4-6 on the pain scale, but only in short bursts).

My doctor discovered that he had gone to med school in the same place I lived for most of my life. So we chatted about places we went to eat as students and other nostalgic thoughts as he did the work.   It was helpfully distracting, and helped me stay relaxed. Which is of course really the trick - stay as relaxed as you can, breath deeply, maybe hum a relaxing song quietly - what ever is helpful for you to stay in the "calm zone".

thank you all for telling me its not as bad for what its made out to be.... makes me feel more at ease!  having the test done on the 6th so not too much longer
Primary Sjogrens, dx June 2009, Immunoglobulin deficiency, axial spondylosis arthritis, IBS
Omeprazone DR 40 mg, mobic 15 mg, Plaquenil, LDN, B1, B6, B12, D, flomax, various inhalers
Bonus vitamins:  D,B1, B6, B12, Calcium

finallyadx

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 03:40:51 PM »
McCorky- I had the tests done back in January right before my diagnosis of sjogrens - they thought I may have MS (family history).  It hurt some and was what I would say uncomfortable, but it was not as bad as I thought.  I think I read that someone suggested some deep breaths, maybe a little meditation or focus on something else in the back of your mind, you will be fine. 

Someone else mentioned the sandpapering that they do on the areas before they put the electrodes - I agree with that person as well - ask them not to scrub you to "death" - that can be uncomfortable in and of itself and it can cause scabs afterwards.  I had one on my head from it! 

Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way.  Sure all will go well.
Primary ss dx 2013, plaquenil, vitamin d, iron supplements, vitamin b12, d-mannose for chronic UTI's, magnesium for heart palpatations and Zinc

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 07:00:58 PM »
Hi McCorky, late to your topic, but you haven't had the tests yet.

I've had them done on both my legs, feet, arms and hands.

Not a big deal....not in the scheme of things I've had done.

But I do have a fairly high pain tolerance level.

That said, there isn't any real pain, just sort of surprising little zings and buzzes.

Really, I'm asking for another set of tests on my legs as we speak.

I had an 'incident' where I stepped on the accelerator instead of the brake today in a parking garage and banged into the wall.

Thank GOD I wasn't stopping for pedestrians somewhere. I would have mowed them down.

My PN is profound and I've always wondered why I could tell where my feet were well enough to drive.

Well, apparently not this morning!

It is a shock.

Let us know what they find.  My tests were done in 2010 and 2011.

Hugs

Elaine
Female-72-CVID-pSJS-IC-Periph.Neuro.-CAD-Osteoarthritis-Auto.Neuro-SFN-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's Blepharitis,Meniere's/Deafness-Hiatal Hernia-IVIG-Gamunex-Medrol-Neurontin,Atenolol-Pilocarpine-Copper-Cymbalta-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-A Lipoic-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-Turmeric-Aleve-D3-Omega3

Cassi307

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 08:02:29 PM »
The back pain that I have been experiencing for quite sometime now is just worsening. I am also having tingling and numbness in my hands and feet. Rheum doc is sending me to a Neurologist and I will be having an EMG/ Nerve conduction test on September 6th. Kinda freaked about this test but know it has to be done!
McKorky
I will be thinking of you on 9/6. I also my first neuro appt that day. My symptoms are progressively worse than they were and I wasn't sure I could make it until then. Going to the ER again is not an option since they said my heart and lungs are fine and my rheum thinks my symptoms are neurological

Not looking forward to whatever testing they will do but will be grateful for any kind of an answer so I can become a functional human being again.

Good luck.
Sjogren's with myositis overlap,  ckd, asthma, chronic costochondritis, osteopenia, neuropathy, tremors, Plaquenil, cardizem, Salogen

CMNK12

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 08:26:03 PM »
  Just saw your post. I will be thinking of you this week as you go for your tests and hope that it will shed some light on the situation. Good luck and my prayers are with you. Are you in school this semester? If you are, I hope that it is going well too. CK