Author Topic: XyliMelts  (Read 661 times)

Ripvanann

• "A DESIRE FULFILLED IS A TREE OF LIFE"
XyliMelts
« on: July 24, 2013, 12:33:46 AM »
Hi again. In light of my recent post, I thought I should tell you about the free samples my dentist gave me today. I don't get on here much, so someone may have posted this already (particularly because you are all Sjoggies), so sorry if it's old news.

The hygienist I saw today gave me free samples of what she says "Are the brand new 'thing' for SjS patients!'" Meanwhile (oh bitter irony) my freaking teeth are gone now... but whatever. For all of you still have a chance, and certainly for the rest of us with dry mouth, these are XyliMelts that you stick to your gums and they slowly melt.

According to the brochure, they are supposed to work wonders for bringing that good bacteria into our mouths, stopping decay, and helping tons with dry mouth. Because they're designed to stick to your gums, you can sleep with them without choking! Good news for us Bi-Pap/C-Pap users, you can sleep with them whilst using the machine! Finally for us (soon to be me) denture wearers, you can also use it with your dentures!!

I have them in now and they REALLY stick! They probably cost a gazillion dollars and I don't think they can Rx them yet. You can get them at Rite-Aid for sure. We get a 20% discount there with our Wellness card. Love that!

Anyone else using these?

Peace and blessings, ~Andrea The Afterthought
Primary SjS, Steroid Induced Cushing's Syndrome, Thyroiditis, Hyperparathyroidism, Raynaud's, Autonomic & Small Fiber NLeuropathy, Fibro. Osteoporosis, & other fun stuff associated w/ the afore mentioned. ~Meds: prednisone, Plaqu. Trileptal, Citracal D & Pain Meds that are fun when not in pain.

Cassi307

Re: XyliMelts
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 12:52:40 AM »
I have heard about them and think someone may have posted about them. At the time I didn't think I needed it because the dryness in my mouth wasn't bad but times change and the dryness has increased. I want to prevent my teeth from damage.

Do they moisturizer and bring good bacteria? Think I'll use my Rite Aid card to get some. Are they in the toothpaste aisle?
Sjogren's with myositis overlap,  ckd, asthma, chronic costochondritis, osteopenia, neuropathy, tremors, Liver disease, malabsorption, Plaquenil, cardizem, Salogen, Vit D

Sleepy In Seattle

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 10:00:55 AM »
I have used them quite a bit - they are AMAZING. They're not super-cheap, but way less expensive than dental work! And worth it to get a good night's sleep without waking up every 10 minutes to sip water. You can get them on Amazon about as cheap as anywhere else.

Now I am on medication I don't have as many symptoms and seldom need them - I really only use them when I have a cold and am mouth-breathing overnight - but for a while I used them every night.

Good product!!!
Sjogren's, Lupus, Raynaud's, APS
Fatigue, Brain Fog, Autoimmune Hearing Loss, joint/muscle pain, dry mouth, clots in retina, etc :p
Supplements, Plaquenil 400mg/day, Aspirin 325mg/day (for APS), Methotrexate 10mg/2x per week, Prednisone 5mg/day

lighthouse33

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 11:07:36 AM »
This was listed under the instructions for XyliMelts:

Some bacteria to be suppressed may evolve a resistance to xylitol. It may be best to suspend use of xylitol for about 2 weeks every two months to minimize such evolution.

I may try these.  Mom and I use the OraMoist patches.  We've fallen with them.  I wonder if the same written above applies to them.  It probably does.  I will have to bookmark this so I can remember to take a break. 
Female
Primary Sjogren's, polyneuropathy, endomitriosis, dietary fructose intolerance
Plaquenil, Lyrica, Tramadal, Omeprazole, Fortical, fish oil, flaxseed oil, benefiber, centrum chewable mulitviitamin, caltrate chewable 600 D+minerals, WSN Nerve Support Formula, Align, Biotene Products

SjoAmy

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 10:47:16 PM »
Just found them at my local Rite Aid.  They were $9.99 reg price, with my wellness card I get 20% off, so they were $7.99.  Not too bad a price for Xylimelts.   They taste pretty good & keep my mouth moist.  Am trying them out again tonight at bed.....this may be my life saver during the winter.
Epilepsy; Sjogren's Syndrome; RA; Hashimoto's; Meralgia Paresthetica, Peripheral Neuropathy; Chronic Bronchitis w/COPD;

mizzy

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 11:33:31 PM »
Thanks for the info...I can't wait to try them.  I wasn't aware there was anything that would help.  It looks like it's too late for me to prevent problems, but I'm sure they would make wearing dentures more comfortable.
62, Female, SJS, Fibromyalgia, Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Depression, Degenerative Disc Disease, Sleep Disorders,
RLS, PLMS, Cervical Spondylosis. Osteopenia, ADHD.

Mizzy :)

stillinshockwithsjogrens

• I'm not going down without a fight
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 02:39:30 AM »
I've been using Xylimelts for a year and don't go a night without using them.  Usually one does the trick, but on some very "dry" nights, I'll use two.   They stick....I put one on my tongue, the other on the side of my mouth and definitely helps.  They last 5-6 hours for me, sleeping.

They come mint-free with no real taste, just slightly sweet; and mild mint (which I prefer, waking up with decent breath). 

I keep them in my purse; in fact I went to a community play tonight and felt dry; I put one in my mouth and it lasted the duration of the play.

I tried OraMoist and did not care for it; just my personal preference.

I purchase them either from Amazon or Drugstore dot com.  I'm a fan.
55, F, Primary Sjogrens, Osteo Arthritis, Osteoporosis, Anosmia, Insomnia, E Tube Dysfunction, Tinnitus. Dry Everything. Allergic to Plaquinel, & Restasis. Use Evoxac, Punctal Plugs, Act Now for dry mouth, Biotene, Nasonex, Refresh Optive vials, Systane Gel at night, Clonazepam, Ambien, Neurontin.

Skylar

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 10:36:54 AM »
I posted a review last year about Xylimelts and a similar product Oramoist :

http://sjogrensworld.org/forums/index.php?topic=19833.msg211280#msg211280

I don't use either product. I've also significantly cut back my use of gum and have decided to stick to frequent sips of water with gum as a back up in situations where I can't drink water.