Author Topic: Positive Attitude Challenge is Oct. 16th - Oct. 30th  (Read 18087 times)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
Re: Positive Attitude Challenge is Oct. 16th - Oct. 30th
« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2013, 10:24:43 PM »
Day #11 of our 14 day October Positive Attitude Challenge

One of the ways to define a Positive Attitude is to make someone's day.

In our hurry, hurry, rush, rush society people are too busy to just do something simple to make someone else's day a little brighter.

I know this is something as parents, we discourage our children to do - but, use your own common sense when or when not to do this:  talk to a stranger.  A couple days ago, I went to this antique market where merchants come from many near-by states to sell their merchandise.  There was an older gentleman in one of the booths.  I was asking him about something in his booth and he went on to tell me he was 94 yrs. old, and that he planned on going to these types of markets as long as he was able to. He didn't want to just sit home - he wanted to be out among other people. 

People had been coming in and out of his booth and not saying anything.  I enjoyed taking a few minutes to just visit with him.  We talked about how products had changed through the years as products now are made of cheap materials and not well made like the "olden" days.

Does this gentleman have health problems at 94 yrs. of age - yes, he does - "his knees don't work like they used to", but, he was still putting forth the effort to keep moving.  I shook his hand and wished him well and told him I hoped he lived to be 100 and beyond.  He smiled.   :)

Wednesday, on the way into work, I went through the drive-thru to grab a breakfast sandwich before heading into work.  As I got to the window to pay, I asked the person how much was the bill of the person behind me?  She told me and I told her to just take it out of the card I had just handed her.  The employee asked me, "do you know the person?" and I said, "nope" - the employee just smiled and said, "I love it when people do that".  I got my food and drove away.  I've always wanted to do that - I know it made MY day to be able to do it and I'm guessing it also made the recipients day start off a little better.

See what YOU can do to make someone's day.

Bucky

"You cannot do a kindness too soon because you never know how soon will be too late."      Ralph Waldo Emerson
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 04:06:22 PM by Bucky »
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2013, 12:43:58 AM »
Day #12 of our 14 day October Positive Attitude Challenge

Those of us who visit this site - Sjogren's World - come here for a reason.  We've either been positively given a Sjogren's diagnose, are being tested for Sjogren's, think they have Sjogren's based on their symptoms, or know someone who has Sjogren's.

From being on this forum for five plus years I have read a lot of different stories from our members.

For some members, they are in a tough situation with increasing symptoms and medical challenges - some symptoms are subtle and come on over time, others seem to come on overnight.

One thing to keep in mind is that the vast majority of our members have MORE than just Sjogren's going on - so, it's not fair to put all the blame of our health issues on just Sjogren's - it's a combination of things, many that overlap.  Although, Sjogren's does present with its own list of life altering symptoms - some of which you just can't ignore.

It's hard to plan for the future when you don't even know what today will hold for you.

Like the changing weather - so is Sjogren's .  There will be times when things look sunny and you have energy and can get out and do things.  There will be times when dark clouds and aches and pains feel like they will never go away.  There might be times when there are dark clouds, sunshine, rain, and a rainbow all at the same time. 

No one can predict or tell you what life will be like for you a couple weeks from now, a couple months from now, or a couple years down the road.  We just don't know.  All we can do is be in the present moment.

We can try and have a positive future vision, no matter how bad your current circumstances are.  We have to seek out doctors who will listen and treat us based on our symptoms (if our tests say otherwise).  We have to keep on, keepin' on - even if we feel like giving up. 

If you have an "I don't care attitude", how can you expect others you deal with to care - i.e. family, co-workers, doctors, neighbors, etc.?

Take one day at a time and remember to breathe.

Bucky

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up.  The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time."   Thomas Edison
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 04:04:08 PM by Bucky »
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

Katybarstool

« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2013, 09:10:24 AM »
You are one very wise lady Mrs Bucky!

We are planning to sell our house, and buy a smaller one to, hopefully, become mortgage free when my hubby retires early 2015.

Before putting our house up for sale, we have been decluttering and doing some painting to freshen things up. This weekend was our biggest job: repainting the bedroom in the loft. We did two x two hour spells yesterday, after which I had to go to bed for a couple of hours. Today we have done another four hours, and it is almost done - and so are we! I'm sat on a recliner with a hot water bottle on my back, having done stretches for my poor painful hip and leg. And I've taken all the painkillers I can.

I started to gripe about how I could do a twelve hour stint of decorating at one time, and still have some energy left. Then I came to my senses and thought ... BUT I can still decorate, even if it's only for a short time, so that's got to be a positive.

So, now I'm feeling proud - I have achieved something that is going to make a real difference :)

Kathyx

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2013, 10:24:14 PM »
I started to gripe about how I could do a twelve hour stint of decorating at one time, and still have some energy left. Then I came to my senses and thought ... BUT I can still decorate, even if it's only for a short time, so that's got to be a positive.

So, now I'm feeling proud - I have achieved something that is going to make a real difference :)

Good for you, Kathyx!!   :D

It does make us feel good when we can see the fruits of our labors and know that we didn't give up and we kept working at it, a little at a time.

You and your husband are very wise to start the process now while you have plenty of time to work on it.

I'm proud of you too!   ;D

Bucky

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2013, 10:36:19 PM »
Day #13 of our 14 Day October Positive Attitude Challenge

Our Positive Attitude Challenge is quickly coming to an end. 

We didn't have the group participation this time around like we did when I first started this Challenge in July - but, I do know many have come here to read and just haven't posted any thoughts.  That's okay.  I hope something along the way has inspired you to think about how your daily mood affects your attitude, and the attitude of those around you.

I'm going to re-post a thought from the July portion of this challenge:

Each day, many times a day, we are faced with choices.  The choices we make can affect our attitudes.  We can chose to be angry and upset and tell everyone around us - misery loves company you know - or, we can chose to be content with what we have, although, it might not be what we wanted or were expecting.

Practicing gratitude - counting your blessings - is a good positive thinking technique.  Some people keep a gratitude journal - jotting down daily things they are grateful for - family, friends, shelter, food, a job - the list is endless.

I'm grateful for each of our members on this forum who share their daily up and down challenges of living with Sjogren's. It's not an easy road, is it?  The journey is made easier by the sharing of our stories, our struggles, the highs and the lows, as well as our successes dealing with this disease.

I hope each day you are able to find something positive in your life. 

Bucky

"A negative mind will never give you a positive life."         Quote Central

slccom

« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2013, 08:45:55 AM »
I always talk to strangers! I don't go meet them in dark alleys, but I have such fun doing it. I always learn something new, help make their day better, offer totally unsolicited advice that I don't care if they take or not, and/or sometimes even make a new friend.

Sharon

genko_b

« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2013, 02:43:42 PM »
Hi Bucky:

Thank you for always doing these challenges. I just love them. Unfortunately my brain doesn't seem to register these things until too late. But I was certainly with you in spirit.

My husband and I just came back from a four-day meditation retreat out in the woods, along the water. the weather alternated between rainy, misty, and beautiful autumn sunshine. We saw deer walking past and heard the wind blowing the leaves around. Very refreshing.

It is a good reminder that to have a positive attitude we need to make time for the refreshing things in life when we possibly can. If not a trip away, at least a cup of tea in a treasured teacup, or a book read in a favorite cozy chair. I love that Velcro has gone to Disney - that was a secret pleasure for me when we took the kids there as youngsters.

Generosity of spirit is the other thing. Like Linda's Pass It On, when we give, whatever we give - however small or seemingly insignificant - it is returned to us in many ways, not the least of which is the sense of connection it provides.

Thanks again for offering these challenges.

Genko

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2013, 10:10:03 PM »
Sharon - I'm glad you don't meet strangers in an alley . . . that's a good thing!!

Genko - I'm glad you've enjoyed the various challenges through the years.   :)

Your retreat sounds peaceful and relaxing.

Bucky

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: October 28, 2013, 10:22:44 PM »
Day #14 of our 14 day October Positive Attitude Challenge

Your Attitude
+
Your Choices
=
Your Life

"There is always, always, always something to be thankful for."     Author unknown
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 10:24:42 PM by Bucky »

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2013, 10:07:15 PM »
October Positive Attitude Challenge

I hope during this 14 day Challenge that you've found something positive to take with you.  Perhaps it was something that made you stop and think, or re-think a situation.

Thanks for coming along on this challenge - hopefully next time, there will be more active participants.  ;)  Look for our next challenge in 2014.

I'm closing with some quotes that I liked that I didn't have time to post:

"No matter what the situation, remind yourself, I have a choice."       Deepak Chopra

"All you can change is yourself, but sometimes that changes everything!"       Gary W. Goldstein

"Two things define you . . . . your patience when you have nothing and your attitude when you have everything."    Anonymous

"Whoever you are, there is some younger person who thinks you are perfect.  There is some work that will never be done if you don't do it.  There is someone who would miss you if you were gone.  There is a place that you alone can fill."    Braude

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wish each of you joy, happiness and many blessings.

Bucky

Katybarstool

« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2013, 02:29:45 PM »
Thank you for setting this challenge, Mrs Bucky, and for sharing your words of wisdom with us. You are a very special lady.

Kathyx

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: October 31, 2013, 06:13:10 PM »
Thanks, Kathyx . . . you're a sweetie. 

Bucky