Author Topic: Positive Attitude Challenge is Oct. 16th - Oct. 30th  (Read 18066 times)

Carebear

Re: 2 wk. Summer 2013 Challenge starts July 10th
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 09:29:54 PM »
Count me in, Bucky.

Thank you dear Bucky for making a difference in our lives.  You are always so positive, supportive and thoughtful.   And this challenge is yet another way you extend yourself to all of us.  You are a real treasure. 
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 10:20:12 PM »
Day #2 of our 14 day challenge.

We're off to a good start - I'm happy to see we have 12 members so far who are going to participate in this challenge.   ;D  Anybody can join at any point along the way in this challenge - it's never too late.

A66eyroad - I love your daily routine - good for you!

Suze - as a new member of the forum - welcome, I'm glad you are joining us on this little group adventure.

quietdynamics  - putting a smiley face on the mirror isn't silly at all.  :)

Carebear - thank you for your kind comment. 

Yesterday, on the way into work, I stopped at a fast food restaurant to grab breakfast to go.  I get my order and continue on to work.  Once at work, I open my bag.  I could see by the wrapper that they included cheese on my breakfast sandwich, and I specifically said, "no cheese".  I also ordered sausage & egg and was given Canadian bacon and egg.  I had my taste buds all set for what I had ordered only to get something completely different that I did not order.  I could have ranted and complained to anyone who would listen - but, instead, I chose to go ahead and eat what before me and be thankful that I had food to eat and I've never had to wonder where my next meal was coming from.

Each day, many times a day, we are faced with choices.  The choices we make can affect not only our attitude, but the attitude of others around us.  We can chose to be angry and upset and tell everyone around us - misery loves company you know - or, we can chose to be content with what we have, although it might not be what we wanted or were expecting.

Practicing gratitude - counting your blessings - is a good positive thinking technique.  Some people keep a gratitude journal - jotting down daily things they are grateful for - family, friends, shelter, food, a job, air conditioning  ;) - - the list is endless.

I hope each day of this challenge you are able to find something positive in your life.  We don't always get in life what we want, but we usually do get what we need.

Bucky

"The greatest part of our happiness depends on our dispositions, not our circumstances."  - Martha Washington
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

A66eyroad

• Be kind to yourself today!
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2013, 05:04:44 AM »
Bucky, you've always been one of my favorite people --- and you've solidified my kindred spirit feeling about you by quoting a Rolling Stones lyric!  You can't always get what you want!  :)

I know everyone is tired of hearing about my husband the therapist.  But here goes anyhow.

We often discussed whether or not you can change your reaction to the bad things in your life. His contention was that you CAN chose your reaction, and mine was that you cannot, that when you're triggered by something, you're simply triggered and react the way you react.

But one day his mother was visiting us over a long weekend. I don't remember exactly what happened, but something happened that would normally cause me to have a complete meltdown.  But I kept it together and had a smile on my face because Mother was watching.

I didn't recognize it at the time, but of course Big Red saw it.  Later that day he mentioned my calm reaction, and I laughed and said I had to keep it together because Mother was there.  He smiled and said, "So you chose your reaction, eh?"

I was shocked! And now I (grudgingly) agree with him that yes, you do chose your own reaction. But it's not easy.
Female, 61
Sjogrens, UCTD, and subacute cutaneous lupus. Flu-like symptoms, mouth & nasal ulcers, itchy rash, high cholesterol, headache, earache, tinnitis, dizziness. Hangover-like nausea, especially in the a.m.
Plaquenil, Atabrine, DHEA, Aleve, Evoxac, Allegra/Benedryl, esomeprazole.

Suze

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2013, 05:56:52 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome, Bucky.
I recently had surgery, and it will be a long recovery. Difficult as it is, I am grateful that this happened now and not any time in the recent or not-so-recent past when my kids were younger and I was often working through difficult learning situations and even crises. Now they seem to be handling it well, and they are helping me, and my husband is helping me, so I feel very lucky.

velvetjademuse

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2013, 07:17:36 AM »
Am I too late? Just reading your message today, but I'd still like in.  :)

tamaran17

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2013, 09:34:53 AM »
Gratitude.......a great topic Bucky!

i'm finding today i have much to be grateful for in spite of sjs!

I'm grateful for my boyfriend who not only loves me for who i am and made me change my mind about love post-divorce, but can support my challenges (and naps!) with sjs, and is encouraging me to chase my dreams.

I'm also grateful for all my grandparents (they passed a year and a half ago, grandma had parkinson's and Pa had dementia) taught me about living life with grace

long time dry

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2013, 10:03:35 AM »
Day 1 went pretty well.  My dance class presented some challenges to my positive approach, namely the behavior of others, but I feel I did well and am satisfied with my progress.

Today I have decided to build on that and smile and laugh more.  I often smile but rarely laugh so this will be a challenge.

This is a great idea Bucky and I'm delighted to be encouraged to make a positive attitude change.

Velcro

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2013, 10:32:17 AM »
Day 1 - I had my follow-up for my MRI of my knee yesterday, and when I was given the news that I showed no tear, I was very relieved.  But what really made my day was that the Orthopedic took a long time to talk with me.  He explained that technically my MRI was "inconclusive" and that meant I could still have a tear, but due to the amount of inflammation, it was hard to tell.  He put me on an anti-inflammatory and we will keep check on the knee, but spent a long time discussing the inflammation that autoimmune diseases cause, and that he was hoping this would help me see relief. 

So I realized that when I left, here was an Orthopedic that seemed really distressed about the trials I was going through and wants to help.  He was compassionate, caring and was very sincere.  It reminded me that I have been so frustrated at many of my Doctors, but that there were still really good ones out there that truly cared about their patients.  For that, I am grateful.

Katybarstool

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2013, 01:04:47 PM »
Mrs Bucky, count me in.

I am having some family problems with one of my sons, and was feeling very miserable. But today was nice and sunny in northern England (73 degrees which is unusual for us). So, instead of moping at lunchtime, I went for a 10 minute walk in the sunshine., which always makes me feel better.

We have been in a similar position before with another son, and it broke our hearts. This time hubby and I have changed our attitudes. Our hearts can ache but they can't be broken again, so we are going to try not to let the situation make us ill. We will be positive and get on with our lives.

Thank you for starting this challenge. I won't be online much in the next couple of weeks, but I will be doing my best to have a positive attitude.

Kathyx   

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2013, 04:58:25 PM »
Day 2

I was presented with so many opportunities today!

While waiting in line at an office, I noticed the lady sitting across from me was wearing lovely, very distinctive earrings, so I told her how much I liked them and watched her blank "waiting for burocratic wheels to turn" look turn into a beautiful smile, and we chatted for a few minutes.

Later, my daughter and I had a few minutes to chat with a groundskeeper at a local park, telling him we appreciated his efforts to keep the park clean, and were again rewarded with a (slightly shy) grin.

After lunch at an old favourite "family style " restaurant, we made an effort to tell the waitress how much we admire the old fashioned service we always receive there; again, a beautiful smile.

Simple things that we probably all think, but don't often have the chance to mention...take the time! It gives both you and the person you speak to such a lift of spirit!
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2013, 07:32:16 PM »
Day 2.

It helps me to write my days. lol..... Thanks Bucky for this thread, it is so nice. I was walking with my dad around his yard today, and he was showing me some of his little Rose of Sharon bushes that he is going to dig up for me to plant in my yard. I know it made him feel good to know he was passing some of his flowery bushes onto me. I gave him a big hug.

While we were in his yard, a couple of the little great nieces come over to say hi, but one of them is always angry. As she was leaving, she told my dad goodbye and that she loved him, but she looked at me and said, I don't love you.  ??? Well, she knew she was safe to let some of her anger out on me, but I looked back at her and said, I love you.

There mother has always been very controlling with them girls, and when my mom was alive, she took more care  of them than their mother. Mom even bought there school clothes for them, and her and dad really couldn't afford it.

Last year when school started, me and my husband bought each girls school clothes, shoes, etc. We can't afford to this year, but I always try to help the girls when I can.

I hope to always be uplifting, and smiling when with them.

susanep :) :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

Carebear

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2013, 08:30:42 PM »
Day 2 - It was a rough day for me health-wise, but I gave it my best.

I took my granddaughters to a puppet show this afternoon, and watching their pure, unblemished joy, it filled my heart with joy.  I am a grandma who counts her blessings each day for having these two lovely girls in her life.  ;D
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2013, 10:19:59 PM »
Day #3 of our 14 day challenge

We're up to 14 members participating in this challenge.   ;D  Welcome all the new ones who have just joined us.

I love to read what each of you are doing to bring more positive thoughts and actions into your lives and the lives of those around you.  Keep up the good work!

As some of you have mentioned - a simple smile to another person can make a huge difference.  :)

Have you ever noticed that people are often a result of their environment?  If you were in a room with grumpy people, it would be easy to pick up on their grumpiness and then you too are complaining about things, finding fault with things, making comments, etc. A bad attitude can be infectious. Many times you hear about a person who had everything going for them, but they got mixed up with the wrong crowd of people and now find themselves getting into trouble with the law, family, employers, etc.  The people they chose to hang around with were a negative affect of them.

Perhaps you will have people in your life (usually, but not always, family members) who are toxic to you.  Perhaps you don't agree on your philosophies in life, way of raising your children, the job you have, where you live, the relationship you are in, etc.  When you are around these people there are usually hurtful words exchanged and a feeling of pins and needles being in the same room with them.  There are times where a person just has to decide for themselves that they no longer can continue the toxic relationship and have to either limit contact or distance themselves from this person(s).  The stress of this relationship will take it toll on your health and well being.

Another way to help with a positive attitude is to associate yourself with positive and upbeat people.  When you surround yourself with enthusiastic and supportive relationships, you will pick up on their attitudes and gain strength to pursue your own dreams.

When people are upset, they tend to have more aches and pains - headaches and upset stomachs, etc.  When a person is happy - they don't seem to notice the various physical problems, or tend to handle them better.

You have the ability to decide who you spend time with. 

Bucky

"Without inspiration the best powers of the mind remain dormant.  There is a fuel in us which needs to be ignited with sparks."     Johann Gottfried Von Herder
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Belsey1

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2013, 02:01:13 AM »
I am a day or so late, but I am in.  I, like someone posted earlier, will state my positive attitude of the day as accepting this challenge.  Good luck to everyone.

long time dry

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2013, 08:49:23 AM »
Day 3 already.  Wow.  It's dark and cold this morning and I feel like staying home and reading.  But I am already committed to taking a half hour walk to meet some friends to spend the morning with and I'm almost ready to go.  I'm going to go and think about something other than my fatigue on the way, knowing I will feel better for the walk and will enjoy the company of my friends when I get there.