Author Topic: Hi everyone, I'm Quiger  (Read 3701 times)

quiger

Hi everyone, I'm Quiger
« on: July 02, 2013, 04:11:14 PM »
Hi everyone I'm Quiger. Some of you might remember me from when I was on staff with Sjogren’s World until a couple of years ago. After being on staff for several years, it became necessary for me to leave so I could focus on taking care of my hubby after his surgery, as well as some new health issues I had developed. But now hubby is healed and my health issues are stable so I'm back.

I was born and raised in the Midwest but for the past eighteen years my hubby and I have lived in the Deep South. My professional background is in the accounting and personnel fields. For most of my adult life, I have been pretty healthy until 1999 when I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I had surgery and radiation treatments and I am now in remission. In 2000 while I was being treated for skin cancer, the Dermatologist noticed the rash on my face. When antibiotics and creams didn't help, he ran blood tests, which showed a positive ANA and SSA. He sent me to a Rheumy who diagnosed Sjogren's. Wow, what a rude awakening. I had tried to ignore my dry eyes and mouth and I thought all the joint pain and fatigue was from the radiation treatments and the natural aging process. I also have hypo thyroid problems so I thought some of the dryness was from that. I sure was in denial.

When first diagnosed, I was a workaholic so I just worked hard and tried to ignore all the changes and symptoms even though they kept getting worse. I had never heard of Sjogren's and thought it was probably nothing. I really thought my health and symptoms were under control. As my symptoms continued to worsen I had to face the fact that this was something after all. After trying to ignore the symptoms for over two years, I decided to go back to the Rheumy. In addition to Sjogren’s, I have since been diagnosed with Fibro, TMJ, GERD, IBS, Colitis, Mixed Connective Tissue Disease, and stage three kidney disease. I went through a long period of denial and at times it gets very hard to accept that I now have limitations and am no longer able to work.

When I found this website, it was such a blessing for me. Among other things, I learned what questions to ask my doctors and to make a list before I went to an appointment. Of course sometimes I still forget to take my list with me. I think some of the most difficult symptoms of Sjogren's is the brain fog and bad memory and of course the flares. I used to have the best memory and now sometimes I am lucky to be able to find my way home from the doctor's office. I am so grateful for this website and am so proud to be back as a staff member. I understand that some people have minor symptoms and never develop anything worse, but this site is great for everyone, no matter what degree of symptoms you have. So if you need information or you just need a place where people understand that just because you "look good" it doesn't mean you feel good, this is the right place for you. Even if you just need a smile and some understanding and compassion, you came to the right place. I am currently co-hosting a chat with Aliendog on Tuesday evenings, fill in where I'm needed, and pop into the forum boards when I can. I look forward to chatting with you.
Check out the info on the home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html