Author Topic: Job Change  (Read 463 times)

SjoGirl

Job Change
« on: June 06, 2013, 07:57:53 PM »
So it's clear my work hours will be cut back sooner or later. It's understandable, but I wish to and am able to keep working full time. That said, I'm not sure where my limits are with this new normal. Anyone out there been through this? How did you determine what you could/could not do?
Raynauds, SjS, Anemia, neutropenia, leukopenia, thrombocytopenia, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease and viral infection. Reclast, Restasis, Vitamin D, Feosol (if my iron levels really dip), Acyclovir.

Cassi307

Re: Job Change
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 08:32:20 PM »
We're your hours cut by your choice due to health issues? Or were they cut by your employer for their reasons?

It's hard to figure out what your new normal is but at some point you may realize that you just can't handle it anymore. Personally I am at this point now. My inability to concentrate and my medication related fatigue have made it hard for me to concentrate and I have missed some important deadlines. I can no longer do anything physical. I no longer have joint pain but lately I have muscle fatigue.

But, the point is when does one decide it is time for disability. I don't know about anyone else but I think that once you have hit a wall and can't get up it is time to stop working.

I would love to hear how others decide. Good topic

Sjogren's with myositis overlap,  ckd, asthma, chronic costochondritis, osteopenia, neuropathy, tremors, Liver disease, cardizem, Salogen, Vit D, milk thistle, iron and multivitamins. Allergic to Plaquenil.

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 09:16:11 PM »
My health gradually reduced my hours until I could not work any more.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Kendo

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 06:47:41 AM »
Three years ago I was laid off a very busy, stressful, chemical-filled lab job. I went to a local employment centre and did some workshops (Experience Counts, update your resume etc). I even had to do some visioning exercises of where I saw myself.

I drew a picture of me sitting at a desk (instead of lots of walking, carrying, lifting in old job), typing and answering phone and helping people. So I started applying for administrative jobs. One came up at my university that was a perfect match for my volunteer skills.

I went for the interview and saw healthy plants, no perfume and air conditioning that actually worked in August. People were great and I thought it would work out. I accepted the job and am still managing with my increasing muscle weakness.

My lunch hour is spent in a small lounge with my feet up, reading. People know I love books but it is really a chance to rest for the afternoon. I am having troubles doing much walking in the building but can send documents through interoffice mail if necessary.

I am seeing a doctor next week for an accommodation for chemical sensitivity for floor stripping/polishing chemicals but that is the only accommodation so far.

So, sorry for the long post but I think each work place is so different that you need to check out each option. I couldn't manage the student service desk downstairs because of all the perfume the students wear. I can control my own air/heat/windows so that is important for Sjoggies.

Good luck in your future. I read a book about women/work/autoimmune disease from the library. It said "Don't tell anyone unless you need to" so I've done that at this new job. I've mentioned needing time off for doc appts in nearby city and was told "just log it as sick time; you have lots left". We now have a union to protect us on stuff like this too.
Kendo
Seronegative for Sjogren's, Celiac, MG; ANA pos, eat GF, calcium disorder, asthma, probable myasthenia gravis, low potassium, low stomach acid, fat malabsorption.
Mestinon, calcium, Vit D, 600 mg NAC, multi Vit, B50 complex, potassium, evening primrose oil, fish oil

daisymae

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 02:14:42 PM »
I was forced to wind down quickly as I got a cytomegalovirus reoccurrence and it knocked me flat. Literally. I am self employed so it was a bit hard at first as I had to wind things up myself. The worst part was the brain fog and overwhelming fatigue.

It was hard financially as I did not qualify for disability insurance when I went out on my own. I lived on savings. Since my savings were limited I had to go back to work and build up my business and hours very gradually.

I'm happy to say that I'm loving being part time and am not finding the reduced income stressful. Partly because I've moved in with my fiancé (who is on long term disability for his AI disease) but mostly because of a huge shift in attitude.

I've often said that the silver lining to the cloud of illness is giving me a chance to slow my life down and really appreciate it. I worked crazy long hours in a very high stress profession. Now, I work at my own pace, keep control over my workload, have learned to say no, and choose my type if work. I have learned that the money and clients can't dictate my life. And my health forced me to realize this.

I'm happier now than I've ever been, despite less income, chronic fatigue and pain, flares, very sore and dry eyes and so on. I really hope that more of us are able to live with so called less but feel more enjoyment and contentment.
46 yr old; primary Sjogren's; recurrent cytomegalovirus infection; Hashimoto's thyroiditis; Raynaud's; pituitary micro prolactinoma; GERD; RLS; migraines; chronic insomnia. plaquenil, cymbalta, trazodone, synthroid, bromocriptine, pantaloc, restasis,  ketorolac

SjoGirl

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 06:38:08 PM »
Choice was not mine. It is a result of changes in admin, but I also feel I made a mistake in telling them about my SjS. I was so ill, lost a great deal of weight, changed my diet substantially (barring me from enjoying office party food), was going to many docs appts, etc that is was clear something was very wrong.

However, I regret it as I do wonder if the knowledge that I have a chronic illness factored into this decision (though ironically I work for a health related organization that would not consider for a moment treating a client who is ill with anything but compassion and respect).

I am doing much better than I was and am finding I can do more than I before I started Plaquenil. However, I'm not sure what my real limits are and am not sure I'll be able to figure it out until I try another job. My concern is that many jobs in my field involve travel and that can be draining. I also don't handle heat (temperatures) well and one can't always control that in offices or when on the road.

I am seeing my hematologist and my PCP this week for follow ups and plan to discuss with my PCP. I am also working on starting a business in case the work world doesn't work out.

Thanks.
Raynauds, SjS, Anemia, neutropenia, leukopenia, thrombocytopenia, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease and viral infection. Reclast, Restasis, Vitamin D, Feosol (if my iron levels really dip), Acyclovir.

THE BRIT

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 06:52:18 PM »
  I sit there waiting to be fired as I know I am simply not keeping up.  The girl who works opposite me knows what is going on, but I feel awful that she has so much more than me to do because I just can't keep up.  I apologize to her, but she says she is fine with it and I try to help her whenever I can.  I also have problems with staqying awake and go to the bathroom for quick naps during the day or prop my head up in such a way it looks like I am reading something when I am asleep!  I lost my last job as I was struggling to keep up and also because I have psych problems and both my parents died while I worked there I had periods of times out for outpt treatment, but I really couldn't function then.  I have tried to minimize my appointments so it doesn't look too obviouus that something is up.  My supervisor is a fat little witch and bully and sometimes if I don't get something straight away I get 'the blank stare again"  I am desperate for a new job, but office jobs in nursing are hard to come by.  I know I will end up on disability at some point though.

bdnews2

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 08:16:09 PM »
I too have a desk job that I am finding increasingly difficult to keep up with.  I do medical records for a pharmacy that services nursing home.  I know all aspects of the pharmacy and have on occasion been asked to fill in in other dept. I have found I have to turn down that overtime. My husband is self employed and his money depends on the public.  Some weeks are good and others stink.  I will be 61 in Nov and I need to keep my job for at least another year. i have been there for 23yrs.  there is no pension package per say just my 401 which in this day doenst amount to a hill of beans. 1st appt with my rheumy is next week. and at this point I am afraid of the answers.  I have long and short term disabilty to carry me til soc sec is approved but it still wont be enough.  we are waiting for an ans from our mortgage co for a modification to reduce my payment.  My job is physically demanding about 10 days out of the month where i have to move/lift cases of paper for monthly forms and reports.  I am so tired on those days I forget to eat when I get home.  My husband is a Godsend and helps me as much as possible and keeps after me.  My daughter works with me and she tries to help but even though she is in the same office with me she is another dept and cant always stop what she has to do to help me. Sorry Im so long winded but it seems like a viscious circle.  damned if you do and damned if you dont. I can sympathize with the work issue.  I hope you can get it resolved soon.  I am on the fence as to whether I should ask and support the idea of disabilty or keep on plugging and risk losing the job due to falling behind in my work or asleep at my computer.
sjorgren syndrome,  fibromyalgia, coronary artery disease, ischemic colitis, arthritis, hyperthyroidism,lapband, hiatal hernia (repaired), lupus, positional vertigo

Cassi307

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 09:04:13 PM »
The Brit
Have you considered working for home health agency where you can be a health care coordinator and work from home. I did that for awhile. I was on call and had to handle any scheduling issues like someone not showing up or some once who needed immediate home health care. I loved having the flexibility.
Sjogren's with myositis overlap,  ckd, asthma, chronic costochondritis, osteopenia, neuropathy, tremors, Liver disease, cardizem, Salogen, Vit D, milk thistle, iron and multivitamins. Allergic to Plaquenil.

sjogrenskitty

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 10:19:59 PM »
I'm only 21 and in college and I already feel like I won't be able to keep it up much longer. My summer work plans fell through and now I just spend my days laying in bed. I have two acceptances into Master's programs but I almost feel like, what is the point? More debt I won't be able to pay back since I won't be able to work! I wish there was a solution. It is both heartbreaking and comforting to know that I'm not the only one who just physically can't work. People don't understand and they think I'm just lazy! It's awful.

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 10:57:52 PM »
I feel so bad to hear what each of you are going through,  because I went through it too, and retired early from my teaching job after teaching only 15 years.

But, then feel so fortunate when I think of those so worried about what to do or what they will do, and they are only 21.

Bless your hearts.

I will pray for all of you.
Hugs,
susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, diabetes, asthma, Polycystic ovaries, and Gerd. Meds - Pilocarpine, Synthroid, Effexor, Cpap, aspirin, Prilosec, Neurontin, Xanax, eye Drops, vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Proventil- Retired Teacher/Disabled