Author Topic: Health related but not SjS - arm update.  (Read 2879 times)

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
Health related but not SjS - arm update.
« on: July 28, 2013, 06:03:46 AM »
Hi  :)

Well its been close to 11 months when I fell and broke my arm. (Humerus) Was eventually operated on in March. I think it is finally healing but it is a slow process. If any of you have bones held together with plates and pins can you tell me if they ever end up feeling 'normal again? My arm feels leaden and as though it has a crepe bandage round it and I just wonder if this is its new 'normal'.

I have been signed off frpm physiotherapy at the hospital although not the fracture clinic yet. I am paying to see a physiotherapist at a local sports injury clinic. She is a lot more hands on than the hospital people and although I have only had one session with her so far - I feel she made a difference.

The three outer fingers of my right hand (at the end of the broken arm) have developed a sort of tremor/spasm and medical opinion is divided as to whether it is break related. I was sent to see a neurologist who dxd it as essential tremor - and I simply don't believe him. I have read up about essential tremors and it doesn't mention them being painful or being restricted to three fingers. He said of course it was essential tremor because the other hand shakes too. He said that is what happens when you get old. I told him that both my hand have been shaking since childhhood but that neither of them have had trouble manipulating objects before. He may as well have been wearing ear protectors.

Tomorrow I am going for a nerve conduction test. It is something I have had done in the past - but not since these fingers started acting up - and unlike some of you I don't find it a painful procedure. I just hope it sheds some light on things.

On Tuesday I see the physiotherapist again and get new glasses (obviously not from her!) and on Wednesday I go and fight it out with my GP about thyroid medication. She says I am overmedicated and I say I am feeling quite good just now apart from being annoye with my arm.

Breaking my arm has made me adjust my pain scale. It was definitely more painful than the day to day stuff that I, personally, have.

Thaks for listening.
Take care - Scottie
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
Re: Health related but not SjS - arm update.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 07:49:11 AM »
Scottie, even though you broke your humerus, I see no humor in it. My leg re-broke several times during the healing process as it shrunk an inch (2.54 centimeters). After the initial healing was done I have had "growing pains" trying to regrow the lost length. My SIL says it is muscle calcification (crepe paper bandage). I have heard that two years is not unusual some times three years are needed.

I feel extremely blessed because my leg is/has healed when it is typical for breaks as bad as mine not to heal. Hang in there (metaphorically) it will heal and it does take time. The broken leg did not adjust my pain scale as it was just a bit over the background level for the day. That is why I had to ask it if it was broken. When it did not want to move, I knew.

Take it easy and be positive that it will heal strong. Your strength will return in time. Yes you may feel the weather changes in the area of your break but your may not. My hope for you is that it heals strong and healthy.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 12:36:59 PM »
Thanks for the explanation of the 'crepe bandage' feeling Joe. Thanks also for the encouragement. I think my arm hurt so much because they actually left it with a bit of muscle stuck between two bones for seven months. That is why it would not heal but they never found the stuck stuff till they operated. Doesn't show up on scans or x-rays.

It WILL heal!!  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 10:30:57 PM »
Bless your heart. You have been through so much.

susanep
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

jpd54

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 11:03:32 AM »
 Here's hoping you have a good day today!!!  Thinking of you.

Jennifer
SJS, Fibro, Osteoarthritis, Osteoporosis, GERD, Rosacea, TMJ

Celebrex, Gabapentin, Lasix, Potassium,Hydroxychloroquine, Lexapro, Lisinopril / Hydrochlorothiazide, Linzess, Metoclopram, Nexium, Oracea, Savella, Simvastatin, Vitamin D, Voltaren

Sleepy In Seattle

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 01:59:14 PM »
Took me a couple years to stop feeling the plate in my leg...first 6-10 months I was aware of it pretty much constantly...over the next year or so I'd notice it several times a day, gradually fading away to every couple of days - now I probably go weeks without thinking of it at all. These things take a LONG time to heal and adjust to...but it usually DOES happen eventually. Nerves heal and adjust V-E-R-Y slowly to changes like that.

Glad to hear you're healing, though - what a relief to finally be on the right road!
Sjogren's, Lupus, Raynaud's, APS
Fatigue, Brain Fog, Autoimmune Hearing Loss, joint/muscle pain, dry mouth, clots in retina, etc
GF, "semi-Paleo" diet, Supplements, Plaquenil 400mg/day, Aspirin 325mg/day (for APS), Methotrexate 7mg/2x per week, Prednisone 3.5mg/day

slccom

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 04:38:23 PM »
I am so glad that things are progressing the way they should, finally! As I tell people, heal properly and quickly.

Hugs, Sharon

aussie mum

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 04:42:43 AM »
Dear Scottie (and Joe) you have been through so much in the past year.
I hope all your appointments go well and everything is ok.

Daughter - SJS, Lupus, Underactive Thyroid, Wolff Parkinson White Syndrome & Insulin Resistance.

Me - Ankylosing Spondylitis, Total Thyroidectomy, Endometriosis, Adenomyosis, High Blood Pressure, Hiatus Hernia, Dry Eyes & Mouth, Stomach Issues, Enbrel, Thyroxine, Atacand, Pariet, Krill Oil, Vit D

Iris

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 09:18:04 PM »
Scottie, your neurologist doesn't sound very bright.. Essential tremor has nothing to do with old age.. I've had it all of my life so I know it can't be blamed on age.. It has never caused me pain either except in my neck and shoulders but that is because I keep them clenched to control the shaking of my head..

It also doesn't have to be in both hands.. I have it in my left hand but not the right.. I do have trouble with small objects with my left hand... If I try to pick up something with my index finger and thumb they just keep tapping together.. It is aggravating but not painful..

I hope you find out what is causing it and they can fix the problem..
Sjogren's Syndrome, fibromyalgia, essential tremor, RLS, degenerative disc disease, gastritis, Ischemic colitis, heart disease.
Lisinopril, Pantoprazole, Ranitidine, Plavix, Diltiazem, Simvastatin, Magnesium, Aspirin, pain meds, serum tears, fish oil