Author Topic: Terrible trouble swallowing food!!  (Read 3362 times)

irish

• Global Moderator
Re: Terrible trouble swallowing food!!
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 01:40:54 PM »
I guess I am of the opinion that having a NG tube in for 6 days is not unusual. I was not saying that they would reposition the tube manually, but that just by your own turning and the air inserted to test for tube placement there would be some slight movement.

I can only tell you that I am sorry that you are so miserable. I can also agree that this surgery is invasive and very stressful on the body. It may well be that you have developed some bad neuropathy that may need some intense treatment. Have you seen a neurologist or an immunologist who might be able to give you another opinion. It might be that some IVIG therapy would help. They use this often for treatment of urgent neuropathy. There are neuros who also do high dose steroids for neuropathy that needs to be calmed down ASAP. I would actively search out someone at a teaching institution/university where the doctors are generally more apt to use the latest in techniques. Good luck and keep us updated.Irish

Momedic

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 03:27:17 PM »
OH!  I see, I am so sorry! I misunderstood what you were saying.  However, the tube that was placed, in my humble opinion, was a large one. Nonetheless, I do have some sort of issue that needs some attention, indeed.  I did see my cardio doc today and he ordered a barium swallow study to see if it would show anything unusual since I have such issues with air trapping and food sticking.  He also diagnosed me as having "too much epinephrine in my system". As it turns out, I looked this up and what I found, it is a fairly rare condition. He has placed me on some medication hoping to calm it down. Fingers crossed that this works!

Momedic

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2013, 05:02:25 AM »
Hi Litliwlowa, I did see that on the web about the tumor and the 24 hour urine collection. I may have to ask my primary for a referral to an endo to check that out.  I am hoping the swallow study I am having this morning will show something as far as to why I am still having so much difficulty with that after my surgery, esp this far out.  The surgeon's PA didn't seem to think the surgery had anything to do with my issue... go figure. But, I didn't really expect any other response from them.  I am just keeping my fingers crossed that I get some sort of an answer from this test. If not, I am stumped. Guess it will be on to an endo from here??  Not really sure where else to turn from here....

Momedic

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2013, 08:27:06 AM »
Well, as I figured...nearly everything is fine... only marginal narrowing at the bottom of the stomach which the doc says may be causing some of my issues. So, now I guess I wait...again.   :( :-\

Momedic

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2013, 08:29:24 AM »
I am about at my wits end and am about to give in... don't really know what else to do... I am very sad.... sorry... don't mean to whine... just sad...

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2013, 03:10:14 PM »
It is true that the swallowing issues may not be directly related to the surgery. The fact is that any stressor can cause an increase in symptoms and I am still wondering about the possiblity of neuropathy caused by sjogrens or some other autoimmune disease.

I have forgotten just what all your AI issues are, but swallowing is something that can be affected by so many other issues, ie., scleroderma(which can cause esophageal problems) multiple sclerosis, etc., Don't mean to scare you, but it may just be that the surgery was a success but in this time the stress of the surgery kicked in some other issues. Neuropathy demands significant neuro testing and if you have a doc who isn't co-operative you may need to find one who is.

I would suggest that you have someone who can help you advocate for help and take them with you to the doctors if possible. I know, it is so hard to face all the doctors, but sometimes we just have to keep on at this nightmare until we find someone who can look in the right direction and help us. Good luck. Keep us posted.We are rooting for you.  Irish