Author Topic: Dry nose  (Read 817 times)

Cindy

Dry nose
« on: April 22, 2013, 04:43:13 PM »
My dry nose is really bothering me. This is new to me. Is been non stop for 2 weeks. Will this be all day from now on or it comes and goes? Am asking because this is my first time with dry nose. What tricks do you do to help dry nose

Cassi307

Re: Dry nose
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 05:20:34 PM »
I am lucky and the nasal dryness that I experience is not bad. I am lucky that I share office space with the choir director and he constantly uses a commercial size humidifier to keep from drying out his nose and throat. I need to buy one for home since I noticed the difference between both environments. I also suggest the use of saline nasal spray.
I am sure that others here can also pass some tips your way.
Sjogren's with myositis overlap,  ckd, asthma, chronic costochondritis, osteopenia, neuropathy, Plaquenil, cardizem, low dose aspirin, krill oil, Lyrica, Salogen

litliwlowa

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 05:34:28 PM »
Hi Cindy

For my dry nose, I use NasoGel and Ocean Spray. At night I use a aloe-based gel applied with a q-tip. I've noted that others are suggesting something like neosporin and that sort of thing (which I'll be trying the next time I get the crusties).

I also now use a cool mist humidifier at home. That addition of a humidifier I am finding is also helping my dry as a desert eyes. How that will work over summer? I have no idea yet.

LitliWlowa
SJS-Primary; Hashi's, Post surgical hypothyroidism, Hypoparathyroidism, Spondylolithesis, L&C Facet Arthropathy, Fibro, gluten intolerance, TBI, Radiculopathies, Neuralgias, Osteoporosis, GERD, Asthma, Allergies. Sphincter Dyssynergia. OSA, Fasciitis, Cervical Spondylosis

Skylar

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 06:36:50 PM »
My nose varies in dryness - sometimes it's so painful I can hardly breath and other times it's not a problem. Winters are worse with all the dry heat.

I sleep with a humidifier - I have this cute blue Crane Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier - Penguin style. In a recent Consumer's reports the Crane humidifiers ranked second. I like this particular model because I have this sitting on my bedside table and can direct the spray where I want it.

If I'm really dry - and sometimes when I'm traveling I will stick a damp washcloth over my eyes and wrap it under my nose area. I know that's weird and it took some time to learn to sleep like this - but it's very effective - especially if you are in a hotel room and have no access to a humidifier.

When I was a little kid I used to run steam in the sink and cover it with a towel to breath the steam in hoping it would rehydrate the tissue. It did help but wasn't perfect. But then I did something was very dangerous and none of us should do it - I dropped baby oil down my nose - it was very effective....but I'm lucky because I could have developed lipoid pneumonia which is incurable. I mention this to remind everyone never put any oily product in your nose. You can read about it in wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipid_pneumonia

Tivia

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 06:50:03 PM »
Well from my experience, mine went dry and like everything else it never went back yet, doctor says it wont.
Sjogrens, UCTD with Lupus and Scleroderma symptoms, Ulcerative Colitis, Graves Disease, Severe Gerd and failing pancreas/biliary system . Poss ANA 1:640 speckled , nerve damage in legs feet and hands, fibro, Restasis, evoxac, creon, prilosec, plaquenil, apriso, canassa, prednisione

Cassi307

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 07:40:57 PM »
My nose varies in dryness - sometimes it's so painful I can hardly breath and other times it's not a problem. Winters are worse with all the dry heat.

I sleep with a humidifier - I have this cute blue Crane Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier - Penguin style. In a recent Consumer's reports the Crane humidifiers ranked second. I like this particular model because I have this sitting on my bedside table and can direct the spray where I want it.

Skylar
We're you just sitting in my living room with me??
I was just sitting on the couch shopping for a humidifier that I can keep next to my bed and just picked the same Crane Penguin style humidifier. I had not heard of this brand before and wanted to check reviews before I went further. You just helped me choose.
((Thanks))
Sjogren's with myositis overlap,  ckd, asthma, chronic costochondritis, osteopenia, neuropathy, Plaquenil, cardizem, low dose aspirin, krill oil, Lyrica, Salogen

Skylar

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 07:43:16 PM »

Skylar
We're you just sitting in my living room with me??
I was just sitting on the couch shopping for a humidifier that I can keep next to my bed and just picked the same Crane Penguin style humidifier. I had not heard of this brand before and wanted to check reviews before I went further. You just helped me choose.
((Thanks))
LOL Cassis - I had remembered that Crane did well in past Consumer Reports - but to be honest I needed a new one ASAP and this one was so darn cute. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. I've been using mine several years now without any problems

litliwlowa

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 03:50:48 PM »
Skylar

Speaking of humidifiers, do you run yours in the warmer months?

I ask as with the warmer weather, I stopped running my humidifier out of concern of too much humidity might bring indoor mold back (which I am highly allergic to), but had to start up my humidifier again as saharah dry eerg nose and even dry eyes got worse again.

I just wondered how more seasoned sjoggies manage in the warmer months.

LitliWlowa
SJS-Primary; Hashi's, Post surgical hypothyroidism, Hypoparathyroidism, Spondylolithesis, L&C Facet Arthropathy, Fibro, gluten intolerance, TBI, Radiculopathies, Neuralgias, Osteoporosis, GERD, Asthma, Allergies. Sphincter Dyssynergia. OSA, Fasciitis, Cervical Spondylosis

quietdynamics

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 04:39:14 PM »

Mine has been dry for quite awhile.  Like the inside of a horses' nasal passage.. :o  Dry.

Right now, especially with all the pollen, I put a bit of Gen Teal or olive oil on a cotton swab to coat my passage a bit ...to catch some of the pollen before I breathe it in. I even have to lubricate my nasal passage...just so I can blow my nose...to get out dust from the air.

At nighttime I coat as well, to thwart open mouth breathing. Having cats I vacuum the bedroom alot, esp. the head of the bed area.

Now that I am in the backyard and the early bloomers, bushes, trees are falling (pretty) I am thinking of using a lite filter mask.

Has anyone figured out why our noses dry out?
Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea

4Kids

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 06:03:36 PM »
Mucous membrane, I suppose.

Nasogel works wonders.  Love it. Salagen has so far given me all over total moisture.
Plaquinel, Restasis, Salagen, Arthrotec, Cod Liver Oil, B Vitamins, Palafer-C, Plaquinel, Metformin, Spironlactone, Biotin

My blog: http://thenot-so-supermum.blogspot.ca

Skylar

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 07:33:13 PM »
Skylar

I ask as with the warmer weather, I stopped running my humidifier out of concern of too much humidity might bring indoor mold back (which I am highly allergic to), but had to start up my humidifier again as saharah dry eerg nose and even dry eyes got worse again.

LitliWlowa
Sometimes - depends on how dry I am - this is only a room humidifier so it's really just adding humidity around the bed and I only run it while I sleep.

I'm also allergic to molds. LOL I made a mistake many years ago of running a humifier on full tilt once and steamed up all the windows - windows were dripping water - oops, not good to avoid mold or maintaining your walls and windows. Plus even with such heavy humidity I was still dry - it only helped marginally.

I never set it high enough to make the house damp and I do run an air conditioner most of the summer. However my trick with the damp wash cloth is suitable to use year round and you wouldn't have to worry about mold.

litliwlowa

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 07:50:05 PM »
Skylar

LitliWlowa
Sometimes - depends on how dry I am - this is only a room humidifier so it's really just adding humidity around the bed and I only run it while I sleep.

I'm also allergic to molds. LOL I made a mistake many years ago of running a humifier on full tilt once and steamed up all the windows - windows were dripping water - oops, not good to avoid mold or maintaining your walls and windows. Plus even with such heavy humidity I was still dry - it only helped marginally.

I never set it high enough to make the house damp and I do run an air conditioner most of the summer. However my trick with the damp wash cloth is suitable to use year round and you wouldn't have to worry about mold.

I set it on the lowest setting. I run a/c in summer too, in addition to an air purifier. I will try your trick with the damp wash cloth. Oh that will be a picture tho LOL. hooked up to BiPap with damp washcloth over my face? LOLOLLOLOL

Thank you Skylar

Litli

Skylar

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 08:52:44 PM »
I set it on the lowest setting. I run a/c in summer too, in addition to an air purifier. I will try your trick with the damp wash cloth. Oh that will be a picture tho LOL. hooked up to BiPap with damp washcloth over my face? LOLOLLOLOL

Thank you Skylar

Litli
LOL I used to have a cPap - I no longer need it but I have to honest - I really miss the humidification. I don't miss the marks on my face or dragging it around airports. Doesn't your machine have humidification?

litliwlowa

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 10:50:00 PM »

Thank you Skylar

Litli
LOL I used to have a cPap - I no longer need it but I have to honest - I really miss the humidification. I don't miss the marks on my face or dragging it around airports. Doesn't your machine have humidification?

Yes, my BiPap does have heated humidifier. However, I wasn't getting more than 2 hours on it as the room air was so dry the humidifier ran out of water. Now I can go about 6 hours on BiPap with the room humidifier. I still wake up every morning with desert dry mouth tho, which is wierd as I am strickly a nose breather.