Author Topic: Lip Biopsy - infection at site 3 weeks later???  (Read 771 times)

litliwlowa

Lip Biopsy - infection at site 3 weeks later???
« on: April 12, 2013, 08:23:48 PM »
This is beyond weird. Supposedly my ENT used disolvable stitches - THREE WEEKS AGO!!

The biopsy site has remained swollen, stitch material was still working it's way out a few days ago, and I've been feeling really yucky the last couple of days. Really good with oral hygiene too and just went to new dentist a week ago and there was NO sign of infection at the biopsy site. So tonight, I'm thinking I best take a looksie and there are three pustules now at the biopsy site and what is even wierder?

I just yesterday had my annual with PCP, including CBC and such, my white count is not elevated, my RBC is slightly LOW, nothing in lab work shows any sign of infection, it's Friday night so I can't even get to the ENT until Monday...AND...

oh silly me, I am ASPLENIC which means I must have antibiotics following INVASIVE oral procedures and I FORGOT to ask her about that and does anyone have any ideas how I can manage this between now and Monday?

I don't know if I should go to urgent care tomorrow or not. My BP is back up elevating again, I feel like crud as I do anytime I get an infection and I unfortunately don't fight off bacterial infections.

Should I go to urgent care tomorrow?

I really messed up. It didn't occur to me that EVERY oral surgery I am always given antibiotics (and prophalixis antibiotics prior to cleanings) and I am certain it did not occur to that NEWBIE ENT that being asplenic makes me very vulnerable to bacterial infections.

All I can know to do now is back to warm salt water rinses and LOTS of vitamin C, but I don't think I can manage between now and Monday without it getting worse.

Gotta love AI's - that isn't helping matters either. Kind of creeped out too, as why the DROP in my WBC's and RBC's with a brewing infection?  Platelets dropped again too, tho still normal range, platelets have been dropping since Dec 2012 and my PCP says nothing to worry about.

Any ideas anyone?

LitliWlowa
SJS-Primary; Hashi's, Post surgical hypothyroidism, Hypoparathyroidism, Spondylolithesis, L&C Facet Arthropathy, Fibro, gluten intolerance, TBI, Radiculopathies, Neuralgias, Osteoporosis, GERD, Asthma, Allergies. Sphincter Dyssynergia. OSA, Fasciitis, Cervical Spondylosis

Nancy60

Re: Lip Biopsy - infection at site 3 weeks later???
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 09:04:17 PM »
If you are a splenic you need to go to urgent care. Preferably tonight so you can get started right away instead of waiting 12 hours til morning. You have definite signs and symptoms.

Could you call your doctors answering service and leave a message. He might call in a script to your pharmacy

Nancy

jazzlover

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 09:10:10 PM »
Yep, off to the Urgent Care you go!! Keep us posted!
Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib, neuropathy, plantar fasciitis

litliwlowa

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 09:14:22 PM »
Nancy,

Urgent care is closed for the night. I didn't discover the pustules until a half hour AFTER they closed. None of my docs have after hours answering services. It's idiotic that they don't, but basically if it's after their hours, it's urgent care and when urgent care is closed, then it's ER.

I did message my ENT via online "my chart", but she won't see that until Monday. Even if I could reach my PCP, given the labwork results yesterday that show no sign of infection, he wouldn't simply call in a script without seeing me

I've upped my vitamin C to 10 gms, sometimes that buys me a little time. I will definitely go to Urgent Care first thing in the morning.

The only thing I can figure is that stitch that worked it's way out the other day must have left an opening for infection to set in. But the site has remained swollen since the biopsy was done. My fiance says there is no way ENT used dissolvable stitches. He checked the site day after the biopsy and said to him it looked like 4-0 silk (he's a former combat medic and CNA).

Thank you Nancy for replying. You've confirmed for me that this cannot wait until Monday for sure on that.

LitliWlowa
SJS-Primary; Hashi's, Post surgical hypothyroidism, Hypoparathyroidism, Spondylolithesis, L&C Facet Arthropathy, Fibro, gluten intolerance, TBI, Radiculopathies, Neuralgias, Osteoporosis, GERD, Asthma, Allergies. Sphincter Dyssynergia. OSA, Fasciitis, Cervical Spondylosis

litliwlowa

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 09:16:26 PM »
Yep, off to the Urgent Care you go!! Keep us posted!

Thank you jazzlover. They open tomorrow at 8am, and yes I am going. Feeling worse as the night progresses, ugh.

LitliWlowa

irish

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 10:33:08 PM »
I had dissolvable stitiches whwen I had my lip biopsy. I am a RN so I know of what I speak with this. My stitches dissolved and started coming out 3 days after my biopsy. I Just put a warm wet wash cloth on my lip and it helped to reduce the swelling and helped it drain. I am not telling you to do this, however. It is up to you what you choose to do. It would be good if you could get into an urgent care in your area. Do you have any other doctors who might be available to write an order for an antibiotic until you can contact doc on Monday. Did you use up all the antibiotic that you might have had on hand for dental procedures???

The fact that you have no fever, chills or elevated white count at this point is good, but I have low t-cells and I seldom raise a fever or show any elevated white counts. I can feel pretty crappy and start antibiotics and in 2 days I will feel better. Does your ENT belong to a medical group that would have someone on call? Sometimes the doc on call will do something to get over the weekend. Hope you can get this resolved in short order. Good luck. Irish

litliwlowa

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 05:35:38 AM »
I had dissolvable stitiches whwen I had my lip biopsy. I am a RN so I know of what I speak with this. My stitches dissolved and started coming out 3 days after my biopsy. I Just put a warm wet wash cloth on my lip and it helped to reduce the swelling and helped it drain. I am not telling you to do this, however. It is up to you what you choose to do. It would be good if you could get into an urgent care in your area. Do you have any other doctors who might be available to write an order for an antibiotic until you can contact doc on Monday. Did you use up all the antibiotic that you might have had on hand for dental procedures???

The fact that you have no fever, chills or elevated white count at this point is good, but I have low t-cells and I seldom raise a fever or show any elevated white counts. I can feel pretty crappy and start antibiotics and in 2 days I will feel better. Does your ENT belong to a medical group that would have someone on call? Sometimes the doc on call will do something to get over the weekend. Hope you can get this resolved in short order. Good luck. Irish

Irish,

I am like you in that I don't get fever or chills but still feel like crap. I have no antibiotic left from last dental procedure. I also don't believe my ENT used dissolvable stitches, even tho her report says she used 4-0 Sycril (braided stitches that Wiki even says take can take 60 days to dissolve??? In MY MOUTH? Who does that in someone's mouth??)

My docs are part of a univ connected major medical conglomerat and as there is also urgent care on the weekend part of the same univ, that is my only option.

I will head over to urgent care this morning. Far better to err on the part of caution. Thank you, Irish
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 05:41:43 AM by litliwlowa »

sjenny

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 10:00:05 AM »
Irish:

Is it safe to swish hydrogen peroxide around in the mouth?  Hydrogen peroxide usually knocks out any infection I ever had from cutting my finger.  Just wondering if it would work for infection at the site of lip biopsy.

Sue

litliwlowa

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 02:55:26 PM »
Just got back from Urgent Care, and am now on clindamycin 150 mg 3xday for ten days. The doc who saw me was even surprised that ENT did NOT place me on antibiotics when she did the lip biopsy.

Anyway, thank you all for your validation that I should go to urgent care and not wait until Monday. Definitely infection had set in. Odd that it didn't reveal itself sooner, given that the biopsy was performed 3/18/2013.

LitliWlowa

jazzlover

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 03:20:03 PM »
Glad you got it taken care of!! Hope it resolves very soon!
Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib, neuropathy, plantar fasciitis