Author Topic: Sjogren's and low white blood count  (Read 691 times)

Madison Granny

• Keep on fighting and stay strong!!!
Sjogren's and low white blood count
« on: April 11, 2013, 05:59:29 PM »
Today I got a call from my Rheumy's PA about my blood test taken Tuesday.  My WBC is even lower than it was in February.  She wants be to have the tests repeat next month when I go for my B 12 shot.  What could be causing my WBC to drop?  It's always been a little low but always stays just a little low.
Primary SJS, dRTA, Osteroporis, OAB, stage 3 kidney disease, hypothyroid and high blood pressure.  Medicine I take are plaquenil, bicarb, prolia, synthroid, toprol and amolipine, citracal and vitamin D.  I use Arex and Azasite and Prolia.  I also have Reynaud's and osteoarthris of the toes

irish

Re: Sjogren's and low white blood count
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 10:57:17 PM »
It is not unusual for people with autoimmune diseases to have low white cells. It goes with the territory. However, it is possible that some of your other diagnoses could get involved in this also. The bone marrow can be involved and affect the number of red cells also causing anemia.

Also, she may want to do some blood work to determine if you are having some issues with your immune system that will affect your ability to fight off infections. This can go along with autoiimmuen diseaese also. We just always have something going on that causes us to go to the doctor or need more tests. Life is never boring for us nor is it cheap to have autoimmune disease. Good luck. Irish

mshistory

Re: Sjogren's and low white blood count
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 06:29:11 PM »
I have pretty bad leukopenia thanks to lupus, and when it flares, the numbers can go really low. The treatments we take for these diseases can also cause our WBCs to drop (Imuran, CellCept, etc.)

My rheumatologist said it's ok as long as my neutrophils don't drop below 500, so even though my overall WBC is very low, and my neutrophils are low too, as long as they aren't SEVERELY low, it's just something to keep an eye on.
SLE and SjS with PN. ANA >1:1280 speckled,
SS-A >8.0, RF positive. Botox for migraines, Clonazepam, Zoloft, Imitrex for migraines, CellCept 1000 mg, Plaquenil 200 mg, Restasis, Zofran for nausea, Gabapentin, Evoxac and Norco for pain.