Author Topic: swelling/painful glands after drinking alcohol  (Read 9421 times)

shellthebell

swelling/painful glands after drinking alcohol
« on: April 04, 2013, 11:05:59 PM »
Hello everyone, I am wondering if any of you experience pain or swelling of the glands in your neck after drinking? The ones under my ears and at the base of my skull in the back swell and get painful everytime. I don't drink too often, but I like to have a few glasses of wine every now and then. I drink lots of water if I am drinking alcohol, but it doesn't seem to help. I am just trying to figure out if this is Sjogren's related or just another weird thing?

Thanks,
Shell
Without ART the Earth would just be EH

litliwlowa

Re: swelling/painful glands after drinking alcohol
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 06:27:48 AM »
Hi Shell

First I don't drink any alcohol so on that aspect, I can only offer a generic opinion.

First, that you are experiencing the symptoms you describe when you drink is already the answer to your question.

Second, if you are on medications, alcohol is not a good mix to add to the med cocktail. Alcohol itself is a drug, and is further a DEPRESSANT drug.

So perhaps the better question is which is more important to you: the few drinks once in a while? Or managing your medical issues more effectively in the absence of drinking alcohol?

By the way, alcohol also has a DRYING effect. Sjogren's is DRY DRY DRY.

Sounds like your glands are trying to tell you something.

Litliwlowa
SJS-Primary; Hashi's, Post surgical hypothyroidism, Hypoparathyroidism, Spondylolithesis, L&C Facet Arthropathy, Fibro, gluten intolerance, TBI, Radiculopathies, Neuralgias, Osteoporosis, GERD, Asthma, Allergies. Sphincter Dyssynergia. OSA, Fasciitis, Cervical Spondylosis

Jellyb

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 07:51:21 AM »
Hi Shell,
I have wine occationally and have not had trouble with my glands, but my glands swell and ache terribly if I have any kind of artificial sweeteners. Like diet sodas are the worst. I can't even have stevia. But for some reseason xylitol in gum is fine for. So I think we all have different triggers.
Primary sjogrens, Raynauds.
Magnesium, vitamin C, tumeric, low dose estrogen.

Multiple chemical and food allergies
Gluten free

reesatay

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 10:57:40 AM »
I found info on google stating that alcohol affects the salivary glands by causing them to increase saliva in a thicker form. The increase in consistency causes the salivary ducts to become blocked. The glands then swell falsely appearing as the mumps.  This could be what is happening to you.

wendyoh

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 11:40:15 AM »
I have had an intolerance for many years before being diagnosed with sjogrens and before being on any medications....a lot of people with CFS have alcohol intolerance, perhaps it is something to do with these related disorders, something with immune or brain functioning.
sjogrens, cervical stenosis, cfs, fms, gerd, some other stuff :)

quietdynamics

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 12:19:17 PM »

"The ones under my ears and at the base of my skull in the back swell and get painful everytime."

I think that tells you something.

I suppose you could try another drink? or if you are drinking red wine, try white. Additives?

You might want to mention this to your Dr. some SJS develop liver issues ( even without alcohol)

I do not drink, not even soda...if I eat too much refined sugar ( goosh that special cake and those homemade  cookies were sooo good after Christmas..lol..I do not bake.)
I will wake with swollen eyes...and other penalties.  :-\

Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea

gurs

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 12:40:08 PM »
I get this anytime I drink juice, especially with lemons...

Could also be your body is reacting to an allergen, causing your inflammatory response..maybe the sulfites etc?
That would be my #1 guess?

Gursie
50 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

Wendom

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 06:20:40 PM »
Hi I've had intolerance to alcohol for about 6 years two and a half years ago I got the awful gland pain u describe mine was so severe I stopped eating my dentist and ent said sjogrens but bloods and lip biopsy where negative I still believe I have sjogrens because I pushed doctors for more tests and I have primary biliary cirrhosis my doctors tell me that it is very often associated with sjogrens I still suffer the gland problems on a daily basis they drive me mad eating is not something I look forward to my heart would race as well after alcohol my stomach hurts and recently upper right pain under rib if I drink any alcohol liver consultant says I can have seven units a week but don't enjoy it anymore I do sympathise with you the glands under my tongue in my neck under my ears and in my cheeks hurt and swell too please make ure your doctor keeps an eye on your liver I insisted on all unto immune tests otherwise I would still be none the wiser about my pbc take care x

wendyoh

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 08:42:20 PM »
wendom, how did you get your doc to run "all" autoimmune tests...what did u ask for? I specifically asked for sjogrens test and tested positive but otherwise they just tend to use excuse if they run regular blood panel and yr ana is normal they dont  look deeper or if sed rate normal...its a cop out
sjogrens, cervical stenosis, cfs, fms, gerd, some other stuff :)

SjoGirl

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 10:10:48 PM »
Not being able to tolerate alcohol was one of the things that happened as SjS came along. Doesn't matter what type of alcohol, wine, beer, etc

I believe it is one of the triggers for migranes which I never had before this started. Agree with others re: dryness and concern about liver.

Doesn't make it easier  :( one of many things that we often have to give up.
Raynauds, SjS, Anemia, neutropenia, leukopenia, thrombocytopenia, osteopenia, Plaquenil, Fosomax, multivitamin with iron, Vitamin D, and Feosol (if my iron levels really dip).

jjj3

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 10:32:32 AM »
This happens to me sometimes.  I love wine.  When I have it, I have one or two glasses.  Every once in awhile though, I'll have 3 glasses (I know - party animal, lol!), and the next day I have sore, tender glands.  It seems to mostly effect the glands in my neck (under my chin, sides of neck, and back of neck).  This has been the case for at least 10 years (I'm 45).  When it first started, I had a lot of bloodwork (which was all normal back then).  I'm not letting Sjogren's make me give up wine, I just try to make it a special treat, and drink a lot of water when I do have it. 

Skylar

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 10:47:59 AM »
I found info on google stating that alcohol affects the salivary glands by causing them to increase saliva in a thicker form. The increase in consistency causes the salivary ducts to become blocked. The glands then swell falsely appearing as the mumps.  This could be what is happening to you.
That's interesting.

I can't drink alcohol, it rips up all my mucosal membranes from my mouth to anus and of course horrible diarrhea.

Karen13

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 03:10:34 PM »
I have trouble with alcohol and seem to get badly hung over from anything more than one glass of wine. So... I don't drink often and not more than one (my tolerance is sooo low I feel quite giddy with one). I have experienced your same pain from a more tart white wine and other foods/drinks but not always.
Sjogren's, Graves, Fibro, Migraines, IBS, GERD, Sinus & Yeast infections.
Plaquenil, Levothyroxine, Amitriptyline, Restasis, Omega 3, Probiotics, Fiber Pills, Multi Vit.
Bion tears, Tear Gel, Nasal Rinses, humidity, heat on sinus & glands, wrap around glasses, meditation, exercise, rest, whole foods

Christine435

• Thoughts and Ramblings on Life, Love, and Health
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 04:18:03 PM »
I would get pain in my lymph nodes when I drank right before I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma and apparently that can be a symptoms so I would tell someone.
Author of the book: Tales From the Dry Side: The Personal Stories Behind the Autoimmune Illness Sjogren's Syndrome

Prim. Sjogren's, esophageal motility disorder, asthma, IC, VCD, hypothyroid, FV Leiden, history of Hodgkin's lymphoma, SVT, blood clots, Guillain-Barre.

Gluten/dairy-free diet.

Sooki

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 10:08:16 AM »
I can't drink alcohol either.  First it goes straight to my joints.  My knees and elbows hurt.  And I don't get that lovely warming feeling, so what's the point?  The next day, my brain is fuzzy - that's the real deal killer - I work on keeping my brain going.  So, I give it a miss.
65 yo, Sjogren's, Lupus, Hashimoto's, fatigue, MGUS, peripheral neuropathy,
Plaquenil, CellCept, Synthroid,
D3, Ca/Mg, fish oil, ALA, DHEA, biotin, B-12, always GF, DF, S(oy)F, currently Paleo Autoimmune diet