Author Topic: SSA & SSB results in #'s instead of Positive/Negative???  (Read 492 times)

keithmarty

SSA & SSB results in #'s instead of Positive/Negative???
« on: April 01, 2013, 11:49:52 AM »
I finally had blood tests done for Sjogren's. But have a question...

ANA was POSITIVE (1:40, "borderline low" though as my dr put it) with a SPECKLED pattern.

SSA & SSB results were given in NUMBERS instead of POSITIVE / NEGATIVE. The "limit" or "range" was indicated as >30 AU/mL and both of my numbers were less than 30. (SSA, 1 and SSB, 8)

I had read that with ANA, if it is detectable in your blood, it is POSITIVE. So I would assume that the same would be true with SSA/SSB since they are antibodies.  I couldn't seem to find an answer, so I called the 800# on the lab report. Of course, they couldn't discuss my individual results (only my dr. can), but the representative confirmed my assumption. Basically, she said that the "trend" (she used a different word) has gone to using numbers instead of pos/neg, but "yes", if the SSA/SSB antibodies are detected in the blood, it is positive.

Does anyone disagree with this or know it is not accurate?

quietdynamics

Re: SSA & SSB results in #'s instead of Positive/Negative???
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 01:15:30 PM »

Here is a link to SSA/SSB lab interpretation using the "AU/ML"  in the search:

For both SSA(Ro) and SSB (La)
Negative: 29 AU/mL or less

Equivocal: 30-40 AU/mL

Positive: 41 AU/mL or

http://labguide.fairview.org/showtest.asp?testid=3097

Hope this helps..I would talk to the Dr. who ordered the tests.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 09:47:22 PM by quietdynamics »
Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea

Styx

Re: SSA & SSB results in #'s instead of Positive/Negative???
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 09:49:29 PM »
Those results are full-on negative.

Styx
Male in 20s with Sjogren's (sicca pretty much everywhere).
Severe upper and lower respiratory symptoms unresponsive to corticosteroids & MTX. AZA fixed that thankfully, but the sicca continues to progress :| though RTX has helped considerably.
Mild Crohn's disease that I don't even notice anymore.