Author Topic: Bruxation and teeth clenching after tooth loss?  (Read 1457 times)

Verythankful

Bruxation and teeth clenching after tooth loss?
« on: March 28, 2013, 05:25:38 AM »
Hi all,

A few weeks ago I lost the last two molars on the upper left side of my mouth due to Sjogren's.  Dealing with bone chips and chunks has really thrown a wrench in trying to heal.  In the last week I've found I'm clinching my teeth like CRAZY--day and night.  I've been doing crazy things like sticking my tongue between my teeth as I half sleep, waking when it just hurts too much.  Today I went out and got one of those customizable bite-plates for people who clinch and grind their teeth (I have yet to try sleeping in it.)

I was just wondering if anyone else has or is experiencing this and how you're coping.  It would mean so much to find others here going through similar stuff.

Thanks so much!

verypeaceful

finallyadx

Re: Bruxation and teeth clenching after tooth loss?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 09:48:20 AM »
Hi Verythankful...I too suffer from dental issues that I had not in the past.  I have recently been fit by my dentist with a device that is supposed to stop the teeth from grinding and clenching together while you sleep.  We are fortunate to have good dental insurance, but for those who do not, I have heard the ones you buy at pharmacies will do.  The one I have goes in the front of my teeth - it is not all encompassing,which I am not sure if that is better or not.  It does prevent my teeth from clenching and grinding though.

Best of luck to you. 
Primary ss dx 2013, plaquenil, vitamin d, iron supplements, vitamin b12, d-mannose for chronic UTI's, magnesium for heart palpatations and Zinc

Tantalus

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 10:19:11 AM »
About a year ago I started to have pain and stiffness in my right jaw when I woke up.  An xray while I was being evaluated for braces (to make the line of my teeth straighter and less likely to rub holes in my cheeks and lips) showed evidence that there was some arthritis starting in the jaw.  The orthodontist also saw evidence I was grinding.

I was fitted with invisaligners to fix the teeth and was told that would help with the grinding.  It took a few weeks but the pain in my jaw resolved.  I'll likely be using a similar retainer from now on, so I suspect this is effectively "cured."

cargillwitch

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 02:27:23 PM »
right about the time I was diagnosed I began to note several teeth were showing signs of grinding and I became aware that  I clenched my jaw so much during the day I would often "catch" my front teeth as I talked. at 42 this was a very new development

My dentist chalked it up to" stress". He was right - but more physiological stress than emotional.I had a custom mouth guard made I wear at night which has helped immensely.

I still notice that when my sjogrens is very active- read parotid glands are very inflamed- the clenching is worse.I think it is just my bodies way of signalling all the tension in that area due to inflammation
47 female, Sjogrens ,Raynauds,degenerative disc disease.Rheumatoid Arthritis, gastroparesis.

slccom

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 03:29:57 PM »
I have dogs with very expensive tastes -- and mouth guards are great. I now use the Walmart cheapos, and just cut the tops off to make them comfortable. I used to put them in boiling water and make them fit better, but I don't bother any more. I just noticed this morning that my latest one has disappeared. I cough in my sleep, so I can lose them easily. They do the job.

Sharon