Author Topic: Women and Pain  (Read 703 times)

deniselb

Women and Pain
« on: March 17, 2013, 12:07:36 AM »
Just read an article on women's pain and its treatment that I think many people will relate to:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/17/opinion/sunday/women-and-the-treatment-of-pain.html?src=recg

The oft-cited study ?The Girl Who Cried Pain: A Bias Against Women in the Treatment of Pain? found that women were less likely to receive aggressive treatment when diagnosed, and were more likely to have their pain characterized as ?emotional,? ?psychogenic? and therefore ?not real.?

Instead of appropriate care for physical pain, this can lead to treatment for mental health issues that might not even exist. 

Lesley_x

Re: Women and Pain
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 11:48:36 AM »
This really aggravates me. I was stereotyped in this manner when I was in hospital because I am a 'young, female, professional'.

Makes me so angry, honestly.

quietdynamics

Re: Women and Pain
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 01:40:12 PM »

This is sad.

After my son was born, first child. I could barely comb my hair after a shower.

Went to a Dr. requesting maybe a Vit B shot.
My intro to Prozac...Dr. said post partum. But, I was so happy!!!..Just wanted the energy to get out and about with my beautiful baby.

A first major flare, ....ya' think?

Same Dr. who 'talked to me over the phone' while my infant son spiked a fever. Frontal lobe seizure, with long term executive decision problems.  Discover much later. Who knew?
Just a new Mom on the phone.....sad.

So ladies go into the Dr. appt informed, determined and with purpose.
Take in an outline of what needs to be presented. Be stoic.

Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea, Livedo reticularis,

"You can't have a positive life with a  negative mind"