Author Topic: New test for me; nuclear echo cardiogram?  (Read 9043 times)

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
New test for me; nuclear echo cardiogram?
« on: January 28, 2013, 02:21:39 PM »
New test for me; nuclear echo cardiogram. They say it may take up to 4 hours. It is some sort of stress test for the heart. Has anyone had one of these? What are they looking for?
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

LonghairWolfe

Re: New test for me; nuclear echo cardiogram?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 02:43:31 PM »
I had one about 6 years ago when I had my first Esophageal spasm because the doctor thought I was having a heart attack.  It checks for blockages, narrowing arteries, or anything that might lead to heart disease.  They inject you with nuclear material.  The technician wears a suite like an astronaut to protect himself but they put it in your veins...scarry, right? The stuff shows up on x-rays which they will take once it has time to get to your heart. Then they put you on a treadmill and check your vitals periodically for stress. At least, that's what I remember about it.  It wasn't a big deal though, just in retrospect I let them put something they had to wear a biohazard suit just to handle it in my veins

Joe S.

• Chakra Force
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 04:25:56 PM »
Thank you for your response. Because of my recent broken leg and hip the treadmill stress test was ruled out today. This new test is scheduled for Thursday.

Well if I glow in the dark I will be easier to see.

Welcome to the forum, LonghairWolfe.
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche

eyeamdry

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 06:34:10 PM »
Joe, I just finished the nuclear stress test also.  No one wore protective gear unless you want to count my hospital gown.  The person checking the read goes into another room occasionally.  I hope I have not confused things and this is what you are talking about.    Lucy

Joe S.

• Chakra Force
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 08:45:33 PM »
I hope you were not claustrophobic. My test took about 3.5 hours. I was told I had an abnormal heart. They sent me for an echo cardiogram. The doctor wants me to have an angiogram on Monday. He talked about putting stents in. If that happens I will be laid up for a few days.

I got a copy of the results today from the nuclear echo cardiogram. It looked like I need some work but the results of the echo cardiogram showed nothing. It feels like Sjogren's testing all over again.

LonghairWolfe

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 03:30:57 PM »
Joe, I just finished the nuclear stress test also.  No one wore protective gear unless you want to count my hospital gown.  The person checking the read goes into another room occasionally.  I hope I have not confused things and this is what you are talking about.    Lucy

Sounds like things have come a long way in 6 years!  I'm glad your experience was less interesting.

Sooki

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 06:37:07 PM »
When my brother had an echo cardiogram, they injected bubbles (by shaking up the syringe for the IV port in his upper arm).  We could see the bubbles on the screen as they went through the different chambers of the heart.  The nuclear one must use a tracer instead of the bubbles.  It was pretty cool to watch the heart do its thing.
67 yo, Sjogren's, Lupus, Hashimoto's, Sleep Apnea, fatigue, MGUS, peripheral neuropathy, ocular rosacea
Plaquenil, CellCept, Levoxyl, Xiidra, D3, biotin, B12, ALA, DHEA, Ubiquinol, CPAP, HydroEye, Paleo AIP, fish oil

LonghairWolfe

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 07:35:20 AM »
Wow.  Bubbles sound very interesting since we would normally think bubbles would cause a stroke or something in the bloodstream.  Medical science is amazing.  I hope they figure out Sjogren's someday, right?

eyeamdry

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 09:17:53 PM »
Joe, they never "find anything wrong" when they do these tests to me either.  I've had two heart caths and a bunch of echocardiograms, plus stress test and so on and so forth.  I'm not sure what kind of dr will treat my pulmonary hypertension.  The pulm doc passed on that and said he doesn't treat it.  I see GP on Wed and we'll see if he can treat or maybe go to a U Hosp (U of Mich) is very good.

Joe S.

• Chakra Force
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 02:11:49 AM »
As I may have said, I hope that they find what is wrong and fix it. This type of problem runs on my fathers side of the family. Dad died of congestive heart failure. His three bothers had bypass surgery. I have lost several cousins to heart issues that were not caught early.

Well I have to prep for the procedure. I may have to blow out the drive just to get there.

Momedic

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 01:31:18 PM »
Just be careful and good luck with your testing!  Hopefully, if there is anything, they can treat it early and at the minimum, slow its progress!  Again, good luck and God Bless!!

Joe S.

• Chakra Force
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 12:53:02 PM »
I went in for the test on Monday. My Right Cardiac Artery was 100% blocked. My Left Cardiac Artery was blocked 80%. I had three stents put in. If they had not used the nuclear test they would not of suspected that anything might be wrong and blame the pain on my AI disease. My EKG and Echo were both clear.

My description of the pain did not match their understanding. I am glad that I pushed this through to the angiogram.

LonghairWolfe

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 04:21:26 PM »
Wow...way to be a self advocate!  Best of heart health and a happy valentines day :)

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 08:49:00 AM »
Wow Joe!

I hope as a result of the stents you feel a whole lot better when thigs have settled down.

Keep us posted.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Joe S.

• Chakra Force
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 09:07:08 AM »
My hands and feet are warmer.