Author Topic: Your identity can be found with just your email address...Are you safe?  (Read 2505 times)

Tinker

I joined a sports forum about a yr ago.  Of course, there are many males on this forum.  I just wondered if I was truly safe and I simply entered my email address in google.  Then this website called spokeu, I believe, came up and had me enter that email address, and there was my picture, my age, my address, city, listed 10 profiles (but not the names of the profiles,) 47 pictures.   

If anyone wanted to know more, they paid $3.95/mo for the rest of my information.

The picture was off facebook.  OMG, I was stunned.

Be careful about posting your email address anywhere.  At this point, the moderators are the only ones who have the address as I had to give that to join the forum. 

But, just giving you a heads up.  If you have a facebook page, it's a good idea to eliiminate your city and state, change your timeline, get rid of identifying information. 

You may have some other ideas.  I don't know what 10 forums I'm even on except this one, the sports one, and facebook and a cosmetic company.  I may pay the 3.95 / mo to monitor this. 

Anyone can find you based on the email address.  And if you use your real name, everything is in the white pages.  Time to go to initials.

What else can anyone tell me?

Ark mom

Re: Your identity can be found with just your email address...Are you safe?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 08:30:03 AM »
Thanks, Tinker, for the heads up.  One thing you can do is have another email account, one that is different from your Facebook account and personal email.  I had several throwaway email accounts that I use when I want to be more protective.  I never tie these accounts to my name or identifying information. 
41 yo with Sjogren's (sero-neg), FMS & sub-clinical Graves; Plaquenil, Evoxac, prednisone, Restasis, Cellcept, gabapentin, duloxetine

Tinker

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 09:02:13 AM »
Thanks, Ark mom,
I was thinking of getting a new gmail acct., but that cuts me off from all my high school friends, fb friends. ...It's the one I use.

Wonder if I can change my sports forum to another throw away acct.?  I'll have to check.

Thanks for the info.  Wish I'd been smart and knew better way back when.   Thanks and will do this.

Katybarstool

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 01:30:32 PM »
Tinker, that's shocking.

I just searched my email address and found a listings page, but thankfully, non of my personal details. However, I didn't pay, so there might be something on there. However, if you go right down to the bottom of the page where your profile is, you can opt out by clicking on their privacy policy and following their instructions.

Thank you for alerting me to this.

Kathyx 

Tinker

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 03:11:03 PM »
Kathyx, if I opt out of spokeu.com or here at Sjorgren's?

Farmgal

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 04:01:24 PM »
Interesting site, searched my addy and it brought up the correct last name with a totally different first name and none of the matching onfo was correct. 

Cheryl

• Sjogrens Staff
    • Enter here for chat room:
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 04:45:49 PM »
Wow, Tinker.   That is scary!  I just searched my email address, and there were no matches.   (I use FB too, but my email address isn't given there.)  Check to see that all of your pictures are seen by friends only, even your profile pics.  Make sure that no information is visible to the general public.  I wonder if a FB app (a game, for instance) has accessed your information and made it public?

(You may be assured that Sjogrensworld has not leaked information to anyone!)
Chat co-host on Thursdays at 8:00 Eastern time

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 08:02:37 PM »
I firmyly believe that anyone can find out anything they want about someone anytime they want to. Did you ever stop to think about all the places that our social security number has been all these years. Those medical records that are "private" are less private than one would imagine.

Stop and think about "on Star" and the satellite radio. I would not be surprised if they can tune in to us any time. We have one of those new fancy gizmos on our power pole that reads our electric meter. The looks of the darn thing make me think that it is doing more than reading our meter.

I do not obscess about this stuff, but never, ever think that you can hide anything about yourself cause in this day and age we are all an open book. Just my opinion. Irish

Katybarstool

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 08:03:14 AM »
Tinker

Just at Spokeo.

Kathyx

Seeker

• Proud to serve
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 09:16:05 AM »
Howdy Tinker, you bring up a good point.  You must be careful of what information you post online.  Once your information is out there, it's there.  Nothing can ever remove it.  That is why identity thieves have such an easy time of it. 

Excellent subject

Seeker
Every day is an adventure, waiting to happen.