Author Topic: Paleo Update at Month 7  (Read 7509 times)

prunella

Re: Paleo Update at Month 7
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 01:11:09 PM »
Paleo is one diet that most folks seem to do well on. 

My DH has eaten  a mostly Paleo diet for several months and is now struggling with a variety of issues that appear similar to thyroid, although TSH1, TSH3 and TSH4 all came out as normal.  He has diverticulitis. Many days he vacillates between chills and fevers.

I am curious about blood type of those on Paleo. DH is blood type A+ and not thriving.  According to Blood Type diet theory, Type A people should limit their meat intake.  Blood type O are recommended to eat lots of meat.

Those of you doing well on Paleo: what is your blood type?

Age 61; Blood type 0-; Sjogren's Dx 2005, sero-negative; plaquenil, 200-400mg/day; lunesta; vivelle dot; omega3, 4gm/day; CoQ10;  vit D3. Wheat free; dairy free. Homeopathy and acupuncture help enormously.

valene2009

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 01:20:32 PM »
wow you are both so lucky (sjenny too).. the mouth and eye dryness gone.. i went gf, dairy free, soy free and grain free for 3 months--and no change.. still mostly like that except for a treat of chocolate once in awhile...

is fruit allowed on paleo or is that why i am still so dry???

Sooki

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 11:11:48 PM »
I'm Blood Type A+ as well, Prunella.  I always thought that was bogus system, but I read more and found there are at least some correlations with blood type.  But anyway, I'm improving on autoimmune Paleo.  I don't like eating all that meat and often feel kind of greasy from it. Eating sauerkraut with the meat helps me digest it. I also eat coconut oil every day.  And somehow my joints feel better.  Everything does.
68 yo, Sjogren's, Lupus, Hashimoto's, fatigue, MGUS, peripheral neuropathy, ocular rosacea
Plaquenil, CellCept, Synthroid, Atorvastatin, Xiidra, doxycycline, D3, biotin, B12, ALA, DHEA, Ubiquinol, CPAP, D-mannose, Paleo AIP, fish oil, Cliradex wipes

chrisr

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 07:36:58 AM »
I have no idea what my blood type is.  What type of test do you need to figure that out?

-Chris

valene2009

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2013, 08:48:53 AM »
can you chew gum -sugar free-on the paleo diet???

Sooki

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 09:03:04 AM »
No, I don't think artificial sweeteners are allowed on paleo.  They're thought to be inflammatory.
68 yo, Sjogren's, Lupus, Hashimoto's, fatigue, MGUS, peripheral neuropathy, ocular rosacea
Plaquenil, CellCept, Synthroid, Atorvastatin, Xiidra, doxycycline, D3, biotin, B12, ALA, DHEA, Ubiquinol, CPAP, D-mannose, Paleo AIP, fish oil, Cliradex wipes

valene2009

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 09:08:38 AM »
oh no.. so if im addicted to gum-it helps my dry mouth what do i do?? i thought most of us on here chewed gum?  what do u do sooki? 
ive tried that one type of Spry gum-sugar free and no chemicals but it is made with xylitol I think and its $$$
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 09:13:13 AM by valene2009 »

chrisr

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2013, 11:11:51 AM »
I still use sweet-n-low in my coffee and iced tea.   I quit Aspartame and Splenda as they seem to be more problematic.   Also I eat a lot of fruit each day, so don't be afraid of fruit.  It is the grains that get you in my opinion.   When I cheat it is usually with cheese or dark chocolate.   I was chewing a lot of sugar free gum when my symptoms were bad, but nearly all sugar free gum contains aspartame, so I quit cold turkey.  Luckily my mouth moisture improved pretty quickly on Paleo.

-Chris

valene2009

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2013, 11:25:25 AM »
thanks Chris.. so gum is ok on the diet-as long as its GF?   i know it has aspartame -i am getting a book at the library i hope it talks about it!! i am seeing mixed things on the net!!

Flowerchild

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2013, 04:03:58 PM »
Chris,
I am so happy this is working for you and thank you so much for posting the piece about saturated fats not being bad!!  I have been saying this for so long.  I have been doing a pretty good job of sticking to the Weston Price way of eating and have been kicking around the idea of Paleo as the next step.  I also eat a lot of saturated animal fats and my cholesterol is only 119!

My only downfall is white wine...sigh....

Continued healing to you!

Peace....
Flower

cargillwitch

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2013, 04:56:02 AM »
I am A -

I was vegetarian for 29 years and I thought doing well with that style of eating.

Funny how illness makes one re-evaluate many things.

I have been adopting most Paleo diet modifications for close to 6 months now.  I have had no issues removing grains and I had been diagnosed with  fructose intolerance a few years back so had already drastically cut back on fruit intake.  I just CAN"T bring myself to eat red meat,  fish was not difficult to bring back and I enjoy and feel very well eating it , I have always consumed large amounts of vegetables as i market garden organic veggies.

Adding good quality fats usually isn't a hard sell for anyone! Bring on the avocados, butter and coconut

But the thought of red meat makes me queasy!! ( perhaps the bloodtype? who knows!)

It has definitely  assisted with fatigue and brain fog. Also my gastro issues are all but gone. I have not done the autoimmune protocol as my own farms free range eggs make up a large part of my diet. I have cut out all beans , legumes and peanuts however

So glad you are doing well!

I work with First Nations populations here in Canada( I co-ordinate perinatal nutrition programs) and this was how I first was exposed to Paleo/Primal or ancestral eating. The community has a horrific type two diabetes and metabolic syndrome epidemic and are having miraculous success treating it through a return to their pre-European eating styles.

The diet consisted of  meat - deer, moose, caribou, seal and fish- with seasonal berries  and absolutely no grains.It is amazing to see them return to health eating this way!It was only after I decided to do more extensive reading and research on Paleolithic/Primal/ Ancestral eating patterns that i began to see the anecdotal evidence of it's positive effects on autoimmune diseases- I was hooked!
47 female, Sjogrens ,Raynauds,degenerative disc disease.Rheumatoid Arthritis, gastroparesis.

valene2009

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2013, 08:43:01 AM »
Chrisr--what did aspartame do to you-or make you feel?? i only have it in my gum.. i wish they didnt add it... i never use splenda as it gave me stomach issues.. just curious how u feel when u take aspartame.thanks

jazzlover

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2013, 08:59:34 AM »
Good job! I eat a good diet and I do think I'm better symptom-wise than most here. I'll check the Paleo to see how it compares to how I eat.

I am gluten, dairy, soy and sugar free.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

chrisr

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2013, 12:48:52 PM »
Hi Valene,

I didn't notice any symptoms from aspartame, I just read so many negative things about it that I figured I should avoid it.   I even found one doctor who thought aspartame could actually cause Sjogren's syndrome.  I didn't find any other info to verify his theory but it was enough for me to avoid aspartame just in case.

-Chris

sjenny

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2013, 02:23:53 PM »
But the thought of red meat makes me queasy!! ( perhaps the bloodtype? who knows!)

I had Hashimoto's and I read that eating beef is really good for the thyroid.  My doc told me no pork and no shellfish.

So I eat a lot of beef and venison and am doing really well with that. 

I ate chicken for years and saw no improvement in my health or weight.  (I'm not crazy about fish because I haven't figured out how to cook it so it is tasty.)