Author Topic: A Happy Life?  (Read 3273 times)

williak

Re: A Happy Life?
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2012, 05:27:29 AM »
Every day when I wake up I have a choice to make:  Will I be happy or not happy?  I ALWAYS choose happy.  My life is far from where it might be, but there is always someone worse off than me. I can't do everything I used to do or may want to do, so I make adjustments and I don't dwell on the negatives.

I'll be 55 in another month.  I'm excited that I will be able to get some age-related discounts.  At 54, I would rather be 55!  lol

I still travel.  I am not as confident as I used to be before I fell and crushed my wrist.  While I am not as confident, I am more careful and aware of my limitations.  It doesn't stop me though! 

Make that decision every morning.  Today is a day I choose to be happy!

Kim
Sjogrens, RA, Chronic Kidney Disease, several types of dermatitis, Granuloma annulare, plaquenil, pilocarpine, restatis, clonezapam, cymbalta, methotrexate, humira, dexilant lutein, flax seed oil

gold55

• GoldenLoves
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2012, 07:38:13 AM »
When I think of pain, hurt, life-changing....I think of not having family.  As much as I've seen progression and new aches and pains in my disease for the past year and a half.....it doesn't even equate to the feeling of emptiness, sadness and despair that I've felt without a family.  I am lucky to have a husband for 25 years (30 but the first 5 weren't on paper) and I thank God for him everyday but he has now lost his family so we are basically alone. 
Be thankful everyday if you have family....whether it be one, two or 10 members, feel fortunate and concentrate on the unconditional love coming from them.  My Dad always said you have nothing if you don't have family or your health.  I would settle for one of those things and count my blessings :)
Dx#1:  dx changed to Sicca Syndrome + UCTD (how wonderful)
Dx#2:  Osteoarthritis and high cholesterol
Meds:  my golden retrievers, my doodle, otc tylenol, ibuprofen, mobic, vitamins, omegas, oral pilocarpine, liguid chondroiten/glucosamine with

Tivia

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2012, 08:07:25 AM »
When I think of pain, hurt, life-changing....I think of not having family.  As much as I've seen progression and new aches and pains in my disease for the past year and a half.....it doesn't even equate to the feeling of emptiness, sadness and despair that I've felt without a family.  I am lucky to have a husband for 25 years (30 but the first 5 weren't on paper) and I thank God for him everyday but he has now lost his family so we are basically alone. 
Be thankful everyday if you have family....whether it be one, two or 10 members, feel fortunate and concentrate on the unconditional love coming from them.  My Dad always said you have nothing if you don't have family or your health.  I would settle for one of those things and count my blessings :)

This is how I believe sooo much, my Dad used to believe the same way. Good loving family can make all the bad in the world tolerable, and the love keeps you happy and healthy. I truly know that, because when my family was alive I was happy even with a terrible disease growing up. After losing the close members of my family I have become sicker, social bonds and the family are what keep humans in a good state. Your soul feels lighter your heart warmer knowing you love and are loved also. I miss that, being isolated and alone is the worst thing that can happen to a human being.

Many people like living alone and being alone...the difference is alone does not always equal loneliness. They still have bonds that they are connected with, family and social contacts they can and do interact with, they are not truly alone. Isolation and loneliness are very detrimental to the human spirit , and in turn very detrimental to our physical and mental well being.

gold55

• GoldenLoves
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2012, 09:36:26 AM »
so true Tivia :D
Dx#1:  dx changed to Sicca Syndrome + UCTD (how wonderful)
Dx#2:  Osteoarthritis and high cholesterol
Meds:  my golden retrievers, my doodle, otc tylenol, ibuprofen, mobic, vitamins, omegas, oral pilocarpine, liguid chondroiten/glucosamine with

katyjo

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2012, 02:38:13 PM »
I count my blessings often.  I got a lot to be happy about.  I try to set an example to my kids.  If I'm acting down, I know it would affect everybody I am around.  Kids will learn from how you handle life's difficulties.  I want them to be happy and have a positive outlook.  I think it helps to identify what makes you happy and do it more often. 

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2012, 06:51:17 AM »
Hi  :)

I have a friend who is not ill but I would not swap my life with hers. She has suffered a couple of apalling losses and now her husband has heart problems which is really stressful all round.

Life is a rollercoaster with blind corners and you never know what's round the next one.

I'm happy that I've been able to bring my kids up without worrying where their next meal is coming from. I'm happy I have access to medical care. I'm happy I have never lived in a war zone.

Happy New Year!

Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

slccom

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2013, 12:33:17 AM »

Nowhere is it written that "family" be blood family. The majority of my family is family of my heart. I have had 4 adopted grandmas, two adopted dads, about a dozen adopted siblings, and 19 adopted kids. They are all 4-legged and furry, though. And a lot of them are now on the Rainbow Bridge, unfortunately.

Surely there are lonely people in your orbit that would enjoy your company, some mentoring, and some love. Look for them, and you and they will enrich your lives and you  will enrich theirs.

Sharon