Author Topic: New DSM-5 criteria for "somatization disorders" could label us Mentally Ill  (Read 8905 times)

slccom

That is, Somatic Symptoms Disorder.
Sharon

irish

• Global Moderator
I agree with you. The only thing is----they already considered most of us to be "mental cases" cause they would not take our complaints seriously. Actually, after being physically ill for many years and also having depression, my psychiatrist told me to apply for disability cause I was physically ill.

He figured that out long before a bunch of other docs did. Just goes to show you that we should not shun mental health evaluations cause when we are chronically, physically ill we do develop a certain amount of depressive issues and this is only normal.

If we have a psychiatrist on our side we are many steps ahead of the game. Sooo, our psychiatrist can be our livesaver at a time like this. It really is better having a psychiatrist managing our antidepressant meds if at all possible. That is not to say that a GP is no capable, but having another opinion helps us. Irish

Loribelle

That IS scary! Speaking as someone who worked in mental health for years, I can say that yes medical illness and mental health do sometimes overlap, however, medical illness should NEVER be mistaken for mental illness! Once those "labels" are officually placed on someone it can be very damaging!

Tivia

Oh dear god what is that, its like something out of an Orwellian story. I have never even heard of this DSM-5. Tell me that dont sound ominous? Like some secret operation out of new world order /tinfoil hat

No but seriously something isnt right about that, and when you do more research on DSM-5 it does look like some kind of conspiracy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSM-5  They call it a task force overseen by a small group...hmmmm

THE BRIT

The basis of the old one is a text book that is used to assess mental illness and level of functioing.  You go through the booklet which looks at things how stable your condition is, whether you can function in society like holding a job.  The are then 5 axis and part of the results are assigned to them the fifth is your overall level of function.  I got told by a couple of people that I was around 50 in that axis which means they do not think I function very well.  They said the medical side probably pushed it that way, but I was still upset.

susan

That was definitely worth the read! Thanks for posting:)
Sjogrens, Stills disease, Acromegaly, Interstitial cystitis

Plaquenil, Prednisone, Octreotide injectable, Crestor, Xanax

kellyk

this is very scary

When I was looking for a dx for my weakness.. I had a  Neurologist try and say I had Conversion Disorder..  even tried to send me to a Shrink...

Its hard enough to find answers to medical problems then you throw in this and some cocky bone head dr ... It becomes dangerous. and we have a host of people with potentially treatable issues taking the wrong kinds of meds.....

Lucky for me my other drs didn't buy it and they knew someone was really wrong.. and treatment is helping me ...

MaryBee7

Not surprised in the least to see this, been pigeon-holed many times in my life already.  I can understand fully now why people who've lived with multi-illnesses just stop going to doctors. 

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
Pack up your bags for your nearest Concentration camp (FEMA treatment). Enjoy the train ride while you can. You know it is for your own good that we have to separate you from the general population.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

MaryBee7

Re: New DSM-5 criteria for "somatization disorders" could label us Mentally Ill
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 03:42:30 PM »
I brought this article up with my mental health therapist today.  She attended a training last week about the DSM 5 and thinks the Huff Post article is more of a media spin issue than anything.  She also feels that the new criteria will help diagnose and treat in more comprehensive ways.  Just sharing her feedback.

slccom

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 07:05:24 PM »
Well, I guess that she has not suffered under the tender mercies of the PsychoNazis in England who have been abusing and even killing Brits with chronic fatigue syndrome. They have decided that it is all mental illness, and are forcibly exercising them.

Sharon

MaryBee7

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 02:32:24 AM »
Sharon, I've no idea what goes on in the UK, but know that my CFS diagnosis carried a lot of stigma and negatively affected my life.  I had one supervisor, during a time when I didn't know cognitively what was going on, who said to me "They don't even know if CFS really exists."   So it was a .... rollercoaster kind of nightmare where I work.  Now with SjS diagnosis, it is better because I don't talk to supervisor about it.  She wouldn't understand it any better than she did the CFS. 

My mental health counselor is a real No B.S. person and has great empathy for her patients.  She's been in the job 30 years.  So maybe she will remain a strong advocate for patients regardless of new guidelines.

LizPetillo

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 09:08:44 AM »
The DMS-IV is much better.  I don't know why they changed it.
Also .. they dropped 'passive aggressive' as a disorder ...
I bet no one who wrote the DSM has had a passive agreessive mother to deal with!

UGH. 

slccom

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 11:47:31 AM »
The DMS-IV is much better.  I don't know why they changed it.
Also .. they dropped 'passive aggressive' as a disorder ...
I bet no one who wrote the DSM has had a passive agressive mother to deal with!

UGH.

I know what you mean! Plus, my MIL is an overt aggressive alternating with passive.  The best thing we did was immediately move 2000 miles away from her  (MIL).
Sharon