Author Topic: Practical advice needed  (Read 1281 times)

gem.j

Practical advice needed
« on: December 04, 2012, 11:32:11 PM »
Hi all, hope I find you all well this morning. Well my eyes are still sore and getting redder, I have tried so many things.6 weeks ago I had clear eyes and with what seems to be a very quick onset of dry eyes I am now here with swollen ten veiny eyes :(. I really could do with some practical advice, what is your routine, what do you use and when. Many thanks in advance, Gem x

SueAnn

Re: Practical advice needed
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 01:54:41 AM »
Hi gem.j,

Have you gone to an optomologist to make sure you do not have an eye infection or some other medical issue?   I think I would start there to make sure you don't need medication.  I am concerned that your eyes are swollen.

SueAnn
Sjs
LDN, Plaquenil, Evoxac, Prednisone, Restasis..
Vit B complex, calcium, Vit D
Female - 50ish

Ark mom

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 11:40:15 AM »
I agree with SueAnn.  If you haven't visited an opthamologist, please do!  Ouch.

When I had my big flare that led to my diagnosis this year my eyes hurt and burned.  My eye doc gave me some steroid eye drops to help calm the irritation.  Perhaps if you do not have an infection of some sort he could give you some to try.  Then after the steroid treatment I started Restasis, which has greatly improved my eyes. 

I am sorry that your eyes are so bothersome.  I truly hope your condition improves soon.  Peace and hugs!
41 yo with Sjogren's (sero-neg), FMS & sub-clinical Graves; Plaquenil, Evoxac, prednisone, Restasis, Cellcept, gabapentin, duloxetine

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 01:41:31 PM »
Hi, I hope you get the help you need for your eyes. I know I am having to use a lot more eye drops, but I have been without my restasis, so that makes a difference for me.

Take Care
susanep
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

MaryBee7

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 04:14:43 PM »
Gem, do you have blepharitis?  The whites of my eyes are totally red/"veiny"  when my I'm flaring with the bleph.   

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 04:36:23 PM »
Hi  :)

An opthamologist would be a good idea.

Meanwhile, mine told me to use warm compresses on my eyes twice a day, morning and night.

Soak two facecloths in as warm water as you can bear. Wring them out and press them over your eyes. Leave them till they go cold and repeat if necessary because you should have them on your eyes for about 5 minutes.

After than massage your upper and lower lid lines with a finger starting at the nose and working outwards.

Finish off by cleansing the lash lines with diluted baby shampoo. Pat dry and use your eye drops.

It actually helps.

Good luck. Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Styx

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 07:03:42 PM »
Tried punctal plugs yet? :)

Skylar

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 07:29:14 PM »
Hi Gem. I agree with the others. I hope you have had your eyes evaluated by an ophthalmologist. If your eyes have changed, call their office to notify them of the changes.

I use Restasis prescription drops twice a day which does help. If necessary lubricating single use eye drops help add moisture - I use the version without any preservatives. I find that the moisture doesn't last long.  >:( I also use warm compresses like Scottietottie, except I use comfortably warm water and I never massage.

Bumping up the humidity in your environment helps a little- especially in winter if you live where buildings are heated.

MaryBee7

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 04:34:22 PM »
I highly encourage use of humidifiers.  Have one in my bedroom which is
H-e-a-v-e-n-l-y Comfort.  Has a cool mist and warm vapor setting.  Also put a larger unit in my living room/tv area and I can tell a great difference in my house now that furnace is being used. 

I've heard several people say that baby shampoo isn't a good thing to cleanse our eyelids with, due to the chemicals in it, in particular the lauryl sulfates.  So I use hot compresses and warm water rinses only.  I have blepharitis regularly!   :-\