Author Topic: worthless doc visit(s): any recourse  (Read 2953 times)

jazzlover

Re: worthless doc visit(s): any recourse
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2012, 11:09:37 AM »

The only thing I can add is to keep on keeping on. Also, it does help to act "dumb" cause doctors can't stand working with educated people. It scares them to death and really does influence the quality of care that we get from them.
-
IF you have an educated doctor without a huge ego, they LOVE working with educated patients. I have one and I am one. I've actually had two doctors like this over the past 12 yrs. I fire all others. (I recently found a third.)

PS.. Research Interstitial Cystitis and the pelvic floor connection.

www.ic-network.org
www.ichelp.org
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 11:11:37 AM by jazzlover »
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

SjoDry

• "When you are battling with a gorilla, you don't g
    • Sjodry and Parched
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 12:16:34 PM »
A couple of thoughts..not sure either will get your money back (or the information you wanted) from that particular provider. But I would contact the insurance company about the experience & possible refund if possible. The other thing that I have done (for multiple unsatisfactory visits) was to google every kind of online doctor rating site I could find. I went through & gave very descriptive details of my unsatisfactory visit(s) with said physician(s) on EACH SITE. While it may not be a huge amount of satisfaction...if enough dissatisfied patients do the same thing...the reputation will get out there about those poor practices/physicians. I know that many people research their docs online first, like I do.
Sjodry
http://sjodry.wordpress.com/

Female 55 y/o; SJS Primary; CVID; Autonomic Neuropathy: Chronic Digestive/G.I. issues; Leukopenia;Tachycardia; Bronchiectasis; High Blood Pres; R.A.;Chronic Pain; Sub~Q IVIG infusions~Hizentra; Plaquenil; Restasis; Gapapentin; Breathing/nebulizer meds; Pain meds;

Saundra

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2012, 07:09:59 AM »
I definately agree with the googling and commenting.  I always google any new dr I'm about to see.  I try to find patients as well.  I am as picky as I can be.  People do put information out there and I appreciate reading it, wheter its good or bad.  Enough bad would certainly keep me away.  Often when one person starts others feel bettr about putting theor bad experiences out there too. 

XOXO
Ldy

meow

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 12:05:46 PM »
One other thing you might try is to make an appointment with the doctor for a 15- min meeting. Not  in the exam room where you wear a paper dress and they get a coat and a clipboard. In the office, as a client/patient with an issue. Then you can discuss the experience with the PA on more equitable terms.

A lot of times the doctor doesn't know everything that is going on, and might not even have heard a single thing about your issue, other than you were difficult.
I refuse to tiptoe quietly through life, only to arrive safely at death's door.

Sjogrens, Hashimotos, CFS.  Also, fast approaching CRS Syndrome ;)

warmwaters

• Just keep swimming - Dora
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2012, 11:18:10 PM »
I doubt you'll get your money back. Imagine if you took your car to the shop - they still charge the hourly rate, even if they didn't fix the problem. 

BUT!  You should send a letter to the doctor and if s/he is part of a larger practice, to the facility where s/he practices, stating your concerns.   In addition, ask for a response, repeating the questions that you had, and asking for any resources that they can provide to you to help you understand your situation. Also send a copy to your insurer.    Check with the facility to see if there is a patient ombudsman, or other group that answers patient concerns. Try to address the letter to an individual

In addition, be sure to say something about how important it is to you to be involved in your care, and to be well informed so that you can make meaningful decisions related to your care, and how surprised that they don't support patient education. (These are buzzwords these days for how doctors are supposed to behave.)

I also like the idea of posting on review sites.
Primary Sjogrens, dx June 2009, Immunoglobulin deficiency, axial spondylosis arthritis, IBS, autonomic neuropathy
Omeprazone DR 40 mg, mobic 15 mg, Plaquenil, LDN, B1, B6, B12, D, fludrocortisone, gralise, various inhalers

meow

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2012, 12:23:55 PM »
ARRRRG! >:(
I went to the local urgent care clinic yesterday--sinus infection lasting over a month, and complete laryngitis-- and it took 3 hours. I was the 9th patient, yet I waited over an hour in the front, then got my intake (5min) then sent to another mini-waiting room for 30, then 90 minutes--NINETY MINUTES!!!--in the exam room before I saw the doctor. NEVER AGAIN. I went to this one because the one I usually go to is farther away, and this one also was open earlier. If I had driven the extra 15 minutes, I would have been out of there in an hour.

Bright side: I have enough antibiotics and steroids now to start my own chicken farm  ;)
I refuse to tiptoe quietly through life, only to arrive safely at death's door.

Sjogrens, Hashimotos, CFS.  Also, fast approaching CRS Syndrome ;)