Author Topic: Sjogrens and Shingles!  (Read 1018 times)

Joy

Sjogrens and Shingles!
« on: December 07, 2012, 12:28:21 PM »
Does anyone know if Shingles has an adverse affect on those of us who have Sjogrens?
My manager told me today that she has it and showed me her rash which was on her side, very angry looking and painful, we have worked in close proximity together for the past few days.

Thanks for any help you can give. x
Dx Mild Primary Sjogrens by Rheumy. High RF factor, High RO Antibodies. Dry ears, dry/sore eyes, use eye gel/drops. Joint pain, get very tired. Take Inhalers for asthma, Allergic to Plaquenil. Stopped Amitriptyline it made me pile on weight! :-(

MiJoy

Re: Sjogrens and Shingles!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 01:14:30 PM »
I had Shingles a few years ago, before my Sjogren's diagnosis. Had it on my face, a horrible experience I wouldn't wish on anyone!

Shingles is not contagious if you've had the chickenpox.

If you haven't had chickenpox, you can get chickenpox from someone who has shingles. You can't get shingles though.

You can only get shingles if you've had chickenpox in the past. The virus lies dormant in your body, then can develop into shingles later in life.

Your coworker shouldn't be working with open sores, as she can give chickenpox to anyone who hasn't had them. As soon as the open sores are healing and fever is gone is fine.

52 yr Female SJS, Fibromyalgia, Sleep Apnea, Nutcracker Esophagus, Chronic Migraines, Burning Mouth Syndrome. Plaquenil, Evoxac, Cymbalta, Restasis, Genteal Eyedrops, Refresh night gel, fish oil, Vitamin D, DHEA, Turmeric

slccom

• Sharon,
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 01:16:24 PM »
Joy, I would call my doctor immediately, discuss the situation and see if s/he wants you on antivirals now or to get a shingles vaccine. Unless you KNOW you never had chicken pox, in which case you need to check and see if you had the vaccines, kept up to date. According to my doctor, you can get shingles if you have the virus in your system and are exposed to someone with shingles.

Shingles is a terrible kind of pain, and if it isn't treated immediately it can case agony for the rest of your life.

Keep us posted!
Sharon II
Sharon, 57-YO female, Sjogren's, depression, sicca, ataxia, hard of hearing, neuropathy,  high BP, arthritis, more. Restasis, pilocarpine, Wellbutrin, Lexapro, oxygen, arthrotec, HRT, plaquinel.

olmphoto2

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 01:27:13 PM »
Yes, this is my understanding also:
I had Shingles a few years ago, before my Sjogren's diagnosis. Had it on my face, a horrible experience I wouldn't wish on anyone!

Shingles is not contagious if you've had the chickenpox.

If you haven't had chickenpox, you can get chickenpox from someone who has shingles. You can't get shingles though.

You can only get shingles if you've had chickenpox in the past. The virus lies dormant in your body, then can develop into shingles later in life.

Your coworker shouldn't be working with open sores, as she can give chickenpox to anyone who hasn't had them. As soon as the open sores are healing and fever is gone is fine.
Mary Ann in Wisconsin

"A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that is unlocked and opens inwards as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push." 
          Ludwig Wittgenstein

Joy

Sjogrens and Shingles!
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 04:24:04 PM »
Hi everyone, thank you for your responses. Yes, I have had chickenpox as a child, so I was aware that the second time you catch this virus it would manifest itself as shingles, but having Sjogrens, I was worried how it might affect us with AI problems.
Dx Mild Primary Sjogrens by Rheumy. High RF factor, High RO Antibodies. Dry ears, dry/sore eyes, use eye gel/drops. Joint pain, get very tired. Take Inhalers for asthma, Allergic to Plaquenil. Stopped Amitriptyline it made me pile on weight! :-(

LdyMntneer

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 05:00:48 PM »
I have a friend who was eventually dx with lupus along with sjs, raynaurds and some others.  She suffers from shingles on a regular basis.  Says its a living heck.  I was asking on a differant thread if people thought the vaccine was worth it, still trying to decide leaning towards getting it.

XOXO
Ldy

olmphoto2

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 05:26:00 PM »
Joy, a person does not 'catch' the virus again once a person has had chicken pox.  The virus is in our spines, lying dormant until an outbreak when the virus then runs along a dermatome (a set of nerves along one side of a patient's body).  The paths are very specific for each individual dermatome.  Here is a Wikipedia link on them with graphs should you be interested in taking a look:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dermatome_%28anatomy%29

All I can tell you regarding how it might effect a Sjogrens patient is just that---personally---any additional problem like this would, in my opinion, set me up for a bad flare with my SS.
Mary Ann in Wisconsin

"A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that is unlocked and opens inwards as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push." 
          Ludwig Wittgenstein

Joy

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 06:43:07 PM »
Olmphoto2
Thanks for the info, never been told this before! I have friends who have suffered with shingles and it was so bad for them. My mgr who now has shingles said she saw on the internet that shingles can have a bad affect on those with a compromised immune system so that is why I was concerned.

Just thought, is the shingles vaccine available in the UK and if so can this be given by my GP? Perhaps I should get it organised. Anyone know of any good websites which explain the pros and cons if it all?  Thanks
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 06:47:49 PM by Joy »

jessiblah

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 10:17:57 AM »
All of my AI problems/symptoms started after having Shingles. I am only 22 and I had Shingles when I was 17, then 19, then 20. I had all sorts of other kinds of rashes as well. Then the nerve pain started soon after. I wish I had gotten the shingles vaccine when it was offered after my rash went away when I was 17, maybe I wouldn't have nerve pain now.
Sjogrens dx 2012
Lyrica 50mg 3xday, Restasis 2xday, Plaquenil 200mg  1 tabs 2xday, Vitd3 1000u a day, Folic acid 1 tab a day, pred 5 mg 2xday, methotrexate 2.5mg 3tabs/week

Joy

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 04:14:37 PM »
Jessiblah, I am so sorry to hear of your health problems. I am in my early 50's and my heart goes out to you. There seem to be so many on this forum of a younger age who suffer greatly.

((hugs))

slccom

• Sharon,
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 05:47:16 PM »
Jessi, you clearly never did have a normal immune system to begin with. A thorough workup might be highly illuminating for issues other than autoimmune. I would encourage you strongly to spend some quality time with a good immunologist.

I, too, am sorry for the misery you have endured. From what you say, I question whether a vaccine would have done you any good, so please don't feel guilty. 

Hang in there-- you have found a caring community.
Hugs, Sharon

Sharon, 57-YO female, Sjogren's, depression, sicca, ataxia, hard of hearing, neuropathy,  high BP, arthritis, more. Restasis, pilocarpine, Wellbutrin, Lexapro, oxygen, arthrotec, HRT, plaquinel.

jazzlover

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 07:11:59 PM »
All of my AI problems/symptoms started after having Shingles. I am only 22 and I had Shingles when I was 17, then 19, then 20. I had all sorts of other kinds of rashes as well. Then the nerve pain started soon after. I wish I had gotten the shingles vaccine when it was offered after my rash went away when I was 17, maybe I wouldn't have nerve pain now.

-
So, did you have chicken pox as a child?

I heard that the reason more are getting shingles now as opposed to many years ago is that kids are now vaccinated and therefore we don't get a "natural booster" when we get exposed to a child who has chicken pox. I guess another theory would be that it's due to so many baby boomers coming of age!
Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib, neuropathy, plantar fasciitis

jessiblah

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2012, 09:44:08 PM »
Yes i had chicken pox as a child. I had it really bad and for a long time when i was a kid as i was told by my mother. I really can't remember anything before the age of 10 and I have no idea why. I had a great childhood but maybe my memory loss problems started there haha.
I have never heard of an immunologist, is that similar to a rheumatologist? What do they do?

I do wonder though if i got the vaccine if my nerve pain wouldn't be so bad or if i would have gotten it at all. I have had every nerve test and every thing comes up normal. I try really hard to not think about the shingles crap as it bugs me when i do. I too think i have more going on but I can't seem to find out what it is and would love to figure this out so i can get treatment but it is wearing me out to see all of these drs and not getting an answer. I am trying to live every day as if it was my last because i never know when this disease is going to take over my ability to do what i want.
I however do not drink at all as it makes my pain 10 times worse(dryness too) so I am trying to be a responsible 22 year old.
Sjogrens dx 2012
Lyrica 50mg 3xday, Restasis 2xday, Plaquenil 200mg  1 tabs 2xday, Vitd3 1000u a day, Folic acid 1 tab a day, pred 5 mg 2xday, methotrexate 2.5mg 3tabs/week

jazzlover

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 01:14:23 PM »
an immunologist is an expert on our immune systems and how they work
Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib, neuropathy, plantar fasciitis

Patty

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 08:54:33 PM »
Ug! Ii have shingles now and it is a hateful thing. If your dr says you can get the vaccine - do it! But if you have a compromised immune system (like me) they will say you can't have it. There is so much mis-information on shingles. I have a couple friends treating me like I am unclean, even though they have had chicken pox and you cannot catch shingles and my rash had healed. I was very careful to stay away from everyone when I was contagious.

Unfortunately I have been off anti-virals for 4-5 days now and seem to be getting new bumps and the nerve pain is worsening again. Has anyone had this happen?
Sjogren's, Vasculitis,  IC, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Raynauds, Peripheral Neuropathy