Author Topic: Why does Sjogren's cause fatigue? is it the inflammation it causes?  (Read 1577 times)

pg600rr

I have seen it mentioned numerous times that fatigue seems to be a major component of Sjogrens, I was wondering why it causes ts symptom? is it because of the inflammation that Sjogrens causes?

Also what kind of fatigue is it? the kind that you are constantly tired, dont want to get out of bed, hard to function fatigue, OR just a slight general malaise, feel kind of tired but not sleepy (still able to go to the gym 5x/week but feel off)?

eija

• http://eija.writeouts.com/
Re: Why does Sjogren's cause fatigue? is it the inflammation it causes?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 03:07:44 PM »
My rheumy just said that the doctors haven't been able to find a reason for the fatigue and that the meds don't really bring any aid to it.

At least for me it's general tiredness, in a not-necessarily-sleepy-way. It just makes me very passive and starting to do anything seems like a huge effort. At times the sleepyness hits, too and then there's nothing else to do but sleep. That is, if you can. Eg. today I was really sleepy but just couldn't sleep.
Female, 47, in Finland
Sjögren's, fibromyalgia, hypothyroidism (Hashi?), depression/GAD, migraines, mild Raynaud's.
Oxiklorin (=Plaquenil), Cymbalta, Bisosprolol (beta-blocker), Tyroxin (thyroid hormone), ibuprophein, Oftagel (eyes)

connie50

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 03:24:05 PM »
Mt rheumy doesn't say either what causes the fatigue.  I have heard it said that inflammation was the cause.

I have only (knock on wood) had one episode of severe fatigue where standing up was too much effort.  I had an overwhelming feeling of needing to sit down and willing myself to get any work done was useless.  It wasn't a feeling of being tired more like someone let the air out of my tires, if you know what I mean...

Today I am feeling mildly fatigued , want to sit down, can't concentrate on work and feel like my eyes want to roll back in my head.

I like what eija said about feeling very passive and starting even the easiest of projects is a big deal. Tomorrow I might look at the same project and wonder what the problem was as it was so easy to figure out, not today though !
probable SJS, Raynaud's, Rosacea- Plaquenil, multi vitamin, vit D, magnesium, baby aspirin for antiphospholipid antibodies

LdyMntneer

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 03:49:23 PM »
Its a good question, when you look at symptoms of most AI fatigue is right up top.  I can't say I gave it any more thought than that.  I do take b12 shots and they tell me the plaquenil is suppose to help with fatigue as well.  Today I'm beat, I'm sure it was the 44 1/2 hour car ride though.  Sometimes mines more a mental exhaustion it seems.  Its like my brain can't comprehend tackling a task that used to be easy enough to do.  I have had the total wipe out during a bad flare, sun/heat possible tiredness (I'm not willing to accept this one yet) The thought of giving up the family beach trips is to depressing,(staying inside doesn't sound like my kind of answer either).  Maybe some of the ones that have been around longer can shed more light on this for us all.

oxoxo
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 02:26:52 PM by LdyMntneer »

lighthouse33

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 04:16:33 PM »
Here is an explanation.  See link below.  Scroll down to V. TREATMENT OF SPECIFIC SYMPTOMS.  Then go to G. Fatigue.

http://www.myalgia.com/sjogrens.htm
Female
Primary Sjogren's, polyneuropathy, endomitriosis, dietary fructose intolerance
Plaquenil, Lyrica, Tramadal, Omeprazole, Fortical, fish oil, flaxseed oil, benefiber, centrum chewable mulitviitamin, caltrate chewable 600 D+minerals, WSN Nerve Support Formula, Align, Biotene Products

iraisin

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 06:05:53 PM »
That was a good article, I've added it to my favorites - thank you.

There are many types of fatigue. I think I get them all at any given time. One that can hit me in the middle of the day is what I call a wave of fatigue that is just overwhelming and there's nothing I can do, but leave work, struggle to drive home, and then climb into bed.

That fatigue I believe is from the CNS - short article that describes it (copy and paste the link into the url bar: livestrong.com/article/148589-cns-fatigue-symptoms/

Here is a link from this website that states that if you are suffering from brain fog, then your CNS is affected: http://www.sjogrensworld.org/brain_fog.htm

Sorry, had to edit. My spelling is getting so bad and I'm having such a hard time right now. Really struggling these days. Can't wait until my next doc visit. Hope I can speak clearly enough when I do finally get there.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 06:49:25 PM by iraisin »
45 yr. old mom-2 boys, Primary Sjogren's (SS-B)
fatigue, brain fog, muscle & joint pain, gastric, arthritis
Flaxseed, Evening Primrose, Plaquenil, multi-vit., salagen, digest enzyme, Pantoprazole, D3, Cranberry, CoQ10, GenTeal ointment & gel drops, NasoGel, Oralbalance, Vinpocetine, Naproxen

MaryBee7

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 07:02:47 PM »
The article posted is great, I passed it along to my Sjogren's Facebook family.  The fatigue has disabled me for 5 years now.  It is the first symptom and is hanging on tight.  There are days that all I can do is walk around the house.  I used to have more UP periods, before diagnosis, actually, but now it's a steady fatigue always now...and I'm being treated finally.  People who don't have a fatigue related illness don't have a clue and should be so thankful...it is hard to give up all the things you love to do because of it.

prunella

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 07:46:24 PM »
The fatigue can be totally overwhelming.  I think you are wise to look at inflammation issues. I did not think about that until many years after my first symptoms appeared. I just didn't see the connection.
I still have a bit of denial about it when I want to eat a gluten free pizza with real cheese.  There is always a price to pay-- occasionally worth it!  :D

The physical and mental fatigue have improved significantly by eliminating wheat, sugar, processed foods and dairy.
When I mention this to my rheumy, he sort of shrugs and humors me.  He prescribes meds. Period. The narrow focus of allopathic medicine can be mind boggling.
Age 61; Blood type 0-; Sjogren's Dx 2005, sero-negative; plaquenil, 200-400mg/day; lunesta; vivelle dot; omega3, 4gm/day; CoQ10;  vit D3. Wheat free; dairy free. Homeopathy and acupuncture help enormously.

sjenny

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 09:10:20 PM »
I'm better now, but I remember that awful fatigue when the Sjs nightmare started.  It was overwhelming and debilitating.  And no amount of sleep relieved that blanket of fatigue or left me feeling refreshed.

When I took a shower, I had to lie down on the bed until I got enough energy to try to dress myself.

I remember wearily researching the internet to determine how long you can be so fatigued and not die from it.

jazzlover

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 10:19:07 PM »
Here is an explanation.  See link below.  Scroll down to V. TREATMENT OF SPECIFIC SYMPTOMS.  Then go to G. Fatigue.

http://www.myalgia.com/sjogrens.htm

-
Be careful about sharing this with family members who freak out easily!!

QUOTE:

"The risk for passing this disease on to family members is extremely low. There is a slightly increased incidence of autoimmune diseases in siblings and children. Pregnant women should notify their obstetricians and pediatricians, since maternal autoantibodies may cross the placenta and cause problems for the infant. "

They make it sound like it's contagious!
Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib, neuropathy, plantar fasciitis

jazzlover

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 10:20:37 PM »
The fatigue can be totally overwhelming.  I think you are wise to look at inflammation issues. I did not think about that until many years after my first symptoms appeared. I just didn't see the connection.
I still have a bit of denial about it when I want to eat a gluten free pizza with real cheese.  There is always a price to pay-- occasionally worth it!  :D

The physical and mental fatigue have improved significantly by eliminating wheat, sugar, processed foods and dairy.
When I mention this to my rheumy, he sort of shrugs and humors me.  He prescribes meds. Period. The narrow focus of allopathic medicine can be mind boggling.

Diet has helped me tremendously. It's the only way I can cope.
Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib, neuropathy, plantar fasciitis

prunella

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 08:32:18 PM »
Agreed about diet.  Occasionally, I "cheat." And I pay!  Either immediately or days later. Today I paid for the small amount of mozzarella cheese I ate last Saturday--or maybe it was the tiny amount of sheep feta I had on Sunday. (constipation)
For me, that was a lot of cheating.

I actually follow a personalized diet which combines Blood Type Diet and Genotype Diet and it allows some cheeses. I seem able to eat parmesan, pecorino or romano with impunity.  In place of butter, I eat ghee--very tasty! 

If I eat wheat or sugar, I react more immediately. Fatigue, achiness.  I call it a Food Hangover.
Am hoping for some self-discipline on Turkey Day. I don't even eat turkey.  But I love the side dishes.  And the desserts.   ;D
Age 61; Blood type 0-; Sjogren's Dx 2005, sero-negative; plaquenil, 200-400mg/day; lunesta; vivelle dot; omega3, 4gm/day; CoQ10;  vit D3. Wheat free; dairy free. Homeopathy and acupuncture help enormously.

irish

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 10:53:38 PM »
I have a different take on the fatigue of autoimmune disease---at least this is what I think applies to me.

I have had autoimmune symptoms since around age 20 and not diagnosed until 2003 with sjogrens and 2006 diagnosed with myasthenia gravis, hashimotos and severely low t-cells--for those of you not familiar with me.

Anyway, during my life I would have time when I would just not sleep much at night. I learned to live with it and at times I thought it would kill me. Being awake all night and going to work the next day is hard!!!

I never did sleep many hours over the years after the age of 20 or so. Since 2000 I have not slept well at all. I have these nasopharynx issues that cause me to choke and spit and hack and honk and this is one reason that I end up not getting to sleep when I plan.

The other thing that I think causes the fatigue is the autoimmune assault on the body. What is really happening is the autoimmune system is going full speed ahead trying to kill us off and it makes us feel uneasy and agitated and almost crazy at times. I have told doctors for years that if you fix what is wrong with me I will sleep better.

For years some of these symptoms have been blamed on the anxiety and depression, and I do have anxiety and depression that is being treated quite well, but I do think that there is a larger componet to this whole shooting match. It will take the researchers time to figure this whole brain chemical/autoimmune response thingy out, but they will find it some day.

When I am having more autoimmune isssues and feeling uneasy I end up out in the recliner to sleep. When I start to feel better I am back in bed and am just thrilled to be there.  When I was younger I would notice these episodes and it took me time to figure out that in a couple of days I was going to be feeling ill and often needed to go to the doctor.

Our bodies are fine tuned and if we pay attention to our symptoms we can almost predict what will happen. God bless our spouses and family for putting up with all the shenanigans that our bodies go through with these autoimmune issues. It is hard on them and it is hard on us. Irish