Author Topic: A New Leaf Club 2012/2013  (Read 7841 times)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
A New Leaf Club 2012/2013
« on: November 04, 2012, 01:31:38 PM »
Hi everyone  :)

For those of you who have been around the boards for a while, you might remember three years ago, I posted about starting this "club", A New Leaf Club.  We had a good group of people participating and sharing their stories of things they accomplished or were working on.  (If you want to read about our last two adventures, here's the links:  http://sjogrensworld.org/forums/index.php?topic=10498.0  and http://sjogrensworld.org/forums/index.php?topic=17718.0 )

Well, it's time to form a new club for the rest of this year and for the New Year to come.

This club is for anyone who wants to "turn a new leaf" - meaning, "take a fresh start, change one's conduct or attitude for the better".

As I re-read all the posts from the previous times we did this, I was reminded of the things I still struggle with (paper clutter, newspaper clutter, keeping organized, exercising), but . . . I also was proud of the accomplishments I undertook and still keep up three years later (the re-organizing of my kitchen cupboards/pantry, organizing the medicine cabinet, etc.).   :)

Back in 2009, I had all kinds of plans to get my house in order - I did make some strides in the right direction, but it's slow going.  Back then, I was a SAHM (stay-at-home-mom).  Well, since then - I have had to return to work part-time.  So, I don't have the "extra" time at home now, like I did then.  However, it's more important than ever that I get my affairs in order so I don't waste my spoon allotment and time hunting and hunting for things.

So, what I'm looking for in this "club" is members who are serious about making changes in what's left of 2012 and carry over throughout 2013..

If you are not into getting your home and life in order - that's fine, this club is probably not for you then.  I don't want "downers" . . I want us to be "positive and uplifting".  I would like this "club" to be a group that helps motivate each other and encourage each other outside of our daily lives living with Sjogrens.

Last year, we posted from November to mid March.  I'm hoping this year, that we can continue to post throughout the whole year.  I know for myself, things change around my house and life daily - some times, life gets really, really busy and I "forget" to post.

To me, I find it encouraging to read about what each of us is working on, wanting to improve on, needing ideas on, or needing some moral support to finish a project already in progress.  That's what this club is all about . . . support, encouragement, sharing and celebrating!   :D

Since we've just started a new month, there's no time like the present to begin this New Leaf Club.  So, starting today, November 4, 2012 - if anybody wants to join me in this "club", I'll be glad to have your company.

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
Re: A New Leaf Club 2012/2013
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 01:42:16 PM »
Hi - in years past, I've struggled with newspaper clutter.  We only get the weekend paper and it seems we never get around to reading the paper and they pile up.

Well, a couple months ago, the newspaper called and asked us if we wanted to add Thursday and Friday newspapers, as it would cost less than just getting the Saturday and Sunday paper.   ???  Yeah, doesn't make sense to me either!

So, we did.

Ugh . . . MORE newspapers to add to the clutter!   :-\

Well . . . . this weekend, I've spent hours and hours and hours going through all those newspapers - some, I'm afraid to say, were from January 2012!!!!   :o  I told you it's a problem!

I am happy to report that FINALLY, I am caught up and only have this weekends papers in the house!   ;D  After having four huge piles of papers on the living room floor, I immediately took them to town and put them in the recycle dumpsters.  Yay!!  A "new leaf" I have been working on for years has finally been completed!!   ;D

I hereby, do promise, that I WILL consciously keep a handle on the newspaper clutter and not let it get out of hand again.  In the next few days, I will call the newspaper and cancel the Thursday and Friday paper and resume JUST the Saturday and Sunday delivery.

Free at last, free at last . . . .  :)

That, my friends, is what this club is all about!!

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

Sleepy In Seattle

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 01:56:20 PM »
We are embarking on a huge home renovation project to put a guest bedroom, bathroom, laundry room, and pantry/project room in the basement - and then tear out and remodel the upstairs bathroom in our 1924 house. (You would not believe how badly we need to get this done!!!!!)

We have been living here for over 12 years and the basement is full of crap that we no longer use but just haven't gotten rid of yet. I have already started on things, but this "club" sounds like just the right thing for me!!!! It is hard to stay motivated.

I want to (and HAVE to) clear things out for the renovations, and then I want to be better on an ongoing basis about getting rid of stuff.

Generally I am not much of a 'hoarder', but I have trouble getting rid of things that have any sentimental value or memories, and then there's the pile(s) of stuff i keep meaning to get to but never do. It's amazing how much STUFF there is, and how GOOD it feels to get rid of it all!!! I try to sell stuff or donate it where it can be of use.

It can be hard to come home from work and find the energy to tromp downstairs and work in a yucky basement, but IT MUST BE DONE!!! i only work part time, so there's really no excuse.

so....ACTION #1....I am going to purchase a cheap radio that I can put down there to listen to while I work, so it doesn't feel so lonely and sad!!!!
Sjogren's, Lupus, Raynaud's, APS
Fatigue, Brain Fog, Autoimmune Hearing Loss, joint/muscle pain, dry mouth, clots in retina, etc
GF, "semi-Paleo" diet, Supplements, Plaquenil 400mg/day, Aspirin 325mg/day (for APS), Methotrexate 7mg/2x per week, Prednisone 3.5mg/day

genko_b

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 02:23:59 PM »
I always have downsizing chores - not that we plan to move anytime soon, but if you don't act as if you are moving, stuff just builds up. This year I need to cull some books out of our huge collection.

The other thing I've been putting off is sorting through old letters we brought from my mother's house when she died. We have many letters from my grandmother during the depression, which are fascinating. We also have the complete set of letters my parents wrote during WW II, when my dad was in the army. They wrote to each other every single day for over three years. I want to read through them and compile the most interesting parts to pass on. Right now the letters are unmanageable and will deteriorate more over time. As it is they are getting brittle.

I'll let you know how I do on both these projects.

Genko

grammad97

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 02:35:25 PM »
I aim to finish before Christmas 3 scrapbooks. I have started or partially done. One is from a trip in 2004;another trip in 2006 and a babies first year one of my 16 month old grandson for his busy parents. (A surprise gift for them). The trips were both once in a lifetime trips so they have to be done. We took 600 pictures for the one. Dream trip for two weeks to Ireland. Second trip we took our other grandson to Disney World. We might get there again but it was his first time and we took him without his parents Lol. He is 15 now.
My problems not finishing them initially was overwhelmed by task; then trying to be too over the top scrapbook page designer; then it was no space cause we were living in our camper. Got the time and space now and just want them together so no more worries about the perfection part. Will keep you posted.
Primary sjogrens, UCTD; osteoarthritis;osteopenia; HBP ;fibromyalgia;RX-plaquenil, butrans 20mcg patch ;flexaril;hydrocodone5/325;restasis, omega3, vit D, super B complex;s ;gluten free;lisinopril;moderate hearing loss

Carebear

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 10:05:29 AM »
How consistent (or is it boring?) am I?  I'm in the middle of painting a room again ... just like I was last year at the same time.   :D  But it is a different room.   ;)

Actually I think it's because outdoor chores are packed up for the year and Christmas is around the corner.  So I started painting the walls in the living room and kitchen.  I do one wall at a time and work slower than molasses in January.   I have another six weeks to complete the job so wish me luck!

Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.

slccom

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 12:23:49 AM »
I got caught up on a month's worth of newspapers! Now I have to get my clothes sorted out, get rid of some and get the summer stuff put away and winter stuff put in my closet.
Sharon

Meld256

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 01:03:36 AM »
Bucky,
I always like your New Leaf Club; seems to get us motivated in other areas of our lives and gives us something else to discuss than all our aches and pains.  I, for one, always seem to need some extra motivation!

Good for you getting those newspapers under control. We've not subscribed to a "real" paper for years, but do rather miss the actual turning off a page.  Not quite the same reading it online.

Carebear,
Funny you mention your painting again, because that's what I'm doing again, too!  8) Different room, same scenario; it just takes me forever.  I have most of our living room done, but have waited 2 weeks for my hubby to help me move a couple of items I can't move to paint behind.  Not to be too hard on him; he's been working a lot and I may not have painted it anyway if he had moved them.

I seem to have several projects in the works I've decided that this weekend I must motivate and get a few of these finished, if at all possible.  With everyone's help and support, maybe I'll get the majority accomplished.  Wish me luck!

Sleepy In Seattle

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 11:46:07 AM »
WHORAY!  ;D

Got my hubby to do a dump run this morning with a bunch of old crap we had to get rid of...and I have cleaned all the windows on the ground floor of our house (inside and out), including disinfecting the wood frames so mildew doesn't grow, and washing all the curtains. And yesterday, I cleaned up the back garden a bit. YEAY, ME!!!

Now, of course, I am exhausted, LOL...but all I have planned for the rest of the day is going to see the new James Bond film, so that should be just dandy.

When I would run low on energy, I'd think how good it'd feel to post those tasks on this list, and I kept going! :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Raynaud's, APS
Fatigue, Brain Fog, Autoimmune Hearing Loss, joint/muscle pain, dry mouth, clots in retina, etc
GF, "semi-Paleo" diet, Supplements, Plaquenil 400mg/day, Aspirin 325mg/day (for APS), Methotrexate 7mg/2x per week, Prednisone 3.5mg/day

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 05:22:09 PM »
Yay Sleepy - good job today!!!   :D

It does feel really good when you can SEE the results of all your hard work - doesn't it? 

I hope you enjoy your movie tonight - you deserve a treat for all your hard work. 

By the way, did you get that cheap radio yet?   ;)

Bucky

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 06:51:23 PM »
Woohoo . . . . FINALLY, 10 weeks AFTER having my garage sale I have gotten all the stuff bagged and boxed up and the tables taken down so I can park in the garage again!!!   ;D

I had cleaned my husband's side of the garage right after the sale, but kept putting it off for finishing it all and getting my side all cleaned up.

As I was taking the clothes off the hangers (I had just laid them across a table when I took the hanging pole down in October) and bagging them up to take to donation, I get to this coat of hubbies and I pick it up.  Out falls all kinds of bird seed.   :o  I go in the house and ask hubby to come to the garage.  Hubby use to feed the birds all the time, and I thought "maybe" he had put some bird seed in the pockets of the coat.  He came out and I told him what I'd found and he said, "nope, haven't fed any birds in years".  So, the only thing we can figure out is that a mouse had gotten a hold of some bird seed and was storing it in the coat.  We didn't see any other signs of a mouse, but it's the only thing we can think of that happened.  (Hubby does have some bird seed in the garage, but we didn't notice a hole in the container or anything.)   ???

I am one happy camper this evening as my car is parked inside again.   :)

Yesterday, I started another project (thanks to Lucy), and cleaned out half the refrigerator.  I took three drawers out and washed them and washed a couple shelves - I didn't feel like doing the whole refrigerator, but . . . it's a start. 

It's always a good feeling when you can cross things off your "to do" list.  ;D

Bucky

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 09:02:27 AM »
Here it is - 2013 - a new year, clean slate and new daily 24-hrs. to have for our New Leaf Club.   :D

With each new day we have an opportunity to start anew to tackle the things in our lives that we want to change - whether it be a relationship, fitness, eating habits, weight, work, our lives, our homes, etc.

I came across this quote today and thought I would share it:

"The chief beauty about time is that you cannot waste it in advance. The next year, the next day, the next hour are lying ready for you, as perfect, as unspoiled, as if you had never wasted or misapplied a single moment in all your life. You can turn over a new leaf every hour if you choose." ― Arnold Bennett

How appropriate for our New Leaf Club.   ;D

The good thing about this club is if you "fall off the wagon" one day, you can start anew the next. 

I have two areas that I need suggestions and input on from you all.

1)  How do you file your benefit papers that relate to our doctor visits?  Do you file them by month, year, doctor?  Do you have different files for each family member or is it grouped all together by month, year, etc?  Same question with the lab tests, etc. that we keep.

2)  Shoes . . . what do YOU do with them?  Do you have a shelf, hanging organizer, shoe rack?  I have a small closet in the bedroom that has a hanging closet shoe organizer in there, but I have more shoes than slots in the organizer.  :-\ I can't do anything different in the closet area to accommodate any more.  The rest of the shoes are in a heap on the bedroom floor. 

If I move things around, I could "probably" fit a flat shoe organizer under my bed, if I could find one.  I'd really like to get the shoes up off the bedroom floor.  And, yes, I've already downsized my shoes - these are all the "keepers".   ;)

Any ideas?

Anybody working on any projects right now?

Are all your holiday decorations down yet?  I've taken my three trees down (two are little tabletop ones), but I'm leaving all my snowmen decorations up for a while yet . . . after all, it IS winter.   ;)

On a sad note, within the last few days, there was a house fire over in town.  Two older people died in the fire.   :(  The wife was a hoarder - and their house was filled with "stuff".  She collected things for years and years hoping to one day sell some and maybe become rich.  In the end, all her hoarding took her life and the life of her husband. 

According to an article I read, the neighbors could smell smoke in the area, but didn't know it was this neighbors house that was on fire until much later.  Evidently, the shear volume of stuff in the house smoldered for a while before the flames of a fire took off.  The fire fighters couldn't even get in the house to look to see if anyone was there, as there was no path to be found.  Sad, very sad.

Please don't let all your belongings consume and take over your life.  Your life is far more precious than any of the stuff you keep.

Bucky

reesatay

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 10:07:49 AM »
I moved a little over a year ago and in the rush put a lot of stuff in the garage to deal with later.  Well later has come and gone several times and there still is a pile of stuff to deal with.  I can't use the excuse I just moved any longer. :o  After struggling to find motivation I finally started sorting though the stuff and it feels so good.  It's a small garage but I'd like to say I can put my car in there if I wanted too. 

CMNK12

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 11:00:47 AM »
  This year hmmm....still renovating our 20 year old home. So.... finish the downstairs' windows, re-do the decking around the pool, take down the trees that are trying to destroy the fence, finish the last of the lanscape plans....phase 3 of that(lol) whew i'm tired already, not to mention broke. haha. My sweet husband hasn't even heard my kitchen ideas yet. LOL. That will be 2014 and beyond. Gotta have things to look forward to. CK

I am sure this will be harrowing enough....it usually is. Gotta just laugh though.

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 02:54:32 PM »
 I am looking at a lot of clutter, and stuff in my living room. The other rooms I don't even want to  mention.

The clutter in the living room is my books, bags of sewing things, husband's electronics, and just a bit of everything that seems hard to deal with.

I want to begin with a few things at a time, and either find a place for them to be in a closet, shelf or whatever out of sight, or to throw them away in the garbage.

We are suppose to put down much needed new flooring in the living room, so something is going to have to happen. lol...Lord help us when it comes to the flooring.  ::)

I started us a quilt top today to work on for our queen size bed in the very cluttered bedroom that we want to be back in once the clutter is gone.

I am piecing together one called Trip Around The
World. It's not hard (just blocks going around), but it's really  pretty according to the colors used.

I am using a lot of rounds of flower prints which I love, and my mother told me about this quilt a long time ago, so that helps too.

Working on this quilt top while watching tv is very relaxing to me.

This year I also want to focus more on other people when I am out shopping, etc. to see if they need a door open for them or just any act of kindness.

I also want to learn to keep my mouth shut more when talking to my sisters lol..... I am making an effort to talk about the facts of what's going on, and keep my opinions to myself. hehe....

I also want to start eating better. It wasn't ideal, but today I did eat a little better.

I know it's a lot of different areas, but they are pretty important to me, so we will see how it goes.

susanep :) :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi