Author Topic: A New Leaf Club 2012/2013  (Read 8723 times)

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
Re: A New Leaf Club 2012/2013
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 01:43:03 PM »
We went to pay for our flooring today. We brought half of it home. That is all we could load at this time. We have most of it in the house. I am tired.  :)

Cleaned out my little puppy (Bonnie/Bon Bon) crate.

I plan to put up some of my books tonight before going to bed. We will see.

That is all I can report so far.  ;)

susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

slccom

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 12:30:17 AM »
I'm working on finances. I'm scared to death that we won't have enough money for medical care... So I've been putting off getting our finances in order. Brain fog doesn't help, either!
Sharon

susanep

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 10:31:35 PM »
 I understand that one Sharon.

Update- I started back on my diet since Monday. Makes 5 days now.

I have been working on a thing at a time for my sewing materials.

We have all of our flooring, and my dear husband has been cleaning up a lot of clutter by his computer area.

I still haven't got anything new done in my cluttered house yet, but still planning.

I have called and emailed sisters to let them know I love them.

I want to make them both something for their birthdays.

I have been having physical therapy for my leg, and enjoying it.

That's about all I have to report at this time.

Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

Meld256

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2013, 06:29:39 AM »
I'm late getting in on this for 2013-but everyone has some good things going!

I really like the quote you gave us, Bucky. Thank you!  ;) I really needed to read that, since lately I've felt a bit "less accomplished" and a bit annoyed at myself since I haven't felt much like getting to the things I want to do.  I'll stop worrying about what I haven't done, and just start somewhere.

As to your questions: I think everyone has a filing system that works for them. Personally, I keep separate folders for me and my hubby's medical stuff-and his is much smaller.  I no longer keep any of those EOB (explanation of benefits) from the insurance company, as long as we have no issues to look into with them.

Most all the visits, labs, etc. are listed in the insurance website, so I don't keep paper copies on that, either.
Basically, I keep a total of what we pay in medications costs and a few other things I feel are important.  You might want to try a couple of different ways for a while to see what works for you.  :)

In regard to the shoe storage, I found a few underbed storage containers on Amazon.  (they have everything, don't they?)  There are some for about $15 that hold 12 pairs, clear vinyl on top and canvas, handles on each side and about 30 x 20 inches, I think.  Maybe you could use two and clear out the closet bag to make more room in there if you want?
 Guess it depends on how you choose to use the space. We keep shoes for the opposite season in shoeboxes in the top of a tall closet.  Ones we wear fit in the bottom of the closet.

Hope this helps a bit. 

I'm also so sorry to hear of the couple who passed in their house fire.  I suppose there are many more people who live the way they did than we can imagine.  So sad when their possessions make their home dangerous. 

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2013, 04:15:35 PM »
reesatay, CMNK12, susanep & slccom - keep up the good work ladies!!   :D  S-l-o-w and steady is the best way.

In regard to the shoe storage, I found a few underbed storage containers on Amazon.  (they have everything, don't they?)  There are some for about $15 that hold 12 pairs, clear vinyl on top and canvas, handles on each side and about 30 x 20 inches, I think.  Maybe you could use two and clear out the closet bag to make more room in there if you want?

Melinda - hmmmm, I like the idea of getting rid of the hanging shoe bag in the closet - I measured, and that would give me about 5-1/2" more inches in the closet.  Not a whole lot of additional room, but every little bit helps.   ;)

Now's the tricky part . . . finding something that I'd like to use for under the bed.  I have read so many reviews on Amazon and Ebay about the shoe storage units that it makes my head spin.   :o  Like anything, if you have 50 people and you ask what they think of something, you'll get 50 different answers!!   ::)  Some love the storage units, others hate them.  I'm hesitant to buy things online like this - I like to actually see and feel it.

I also saw a wire rolling underbed cart on Amazon . . . I'm considering that.  I'm real sensitive to smells and I worry that the shoe storage units I've seen have a plastic zippered top that I would smell the plastic.  On one of the reviews I read, the person said it had a strong plastic smell.   :-\

I'll keep looking.   ;)

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 05:47:54 PM »
Today, I finally took two bags of items leftover from my fall garage sale to the donation center.  We've been moving those bags every time we need to get something out of the chest freezer.  Yay, one thing crossed off my "to do" list.   :)

I found a plastic tote that I thought would work for my shoes under my bed.  Well . . . it does work, but . . .  it doesn't hold very many pairs of shoes.   :(  So, I think I will take this one back and we're ordering one of those shoe organizers with divided sections in them tonight off of Amazon (of course, going through the link on our page so SJS World gets some of the sale).   ;D

I'll be glad when I can cross the shoe situation off my "to do" list.

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

slccom

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2013, 09:27:27 PM »
GOT THE FREEZER DEFROSTED and INVENTORIED!  I'd be doing a major happy dance, but I'm too tired. It is an awful job. First I had to clean the laundry room. Washer, dryer, floor, under the appliances... Do the laundry. Get all the junk towels in there.  Get boxes and comforters in there. Get extension cords and hair dryers. Bucket of soapy water. Dish cloth. Gloves. Hardest of all, husband.

Set up boxes, remove inventory (full-size, front-opening upright commercial freezer.) Try to sort as we go. But comforters around boxes. Clean the melted banana off the front door and floor while husband starts melting the frost. Dump soapy bucket, bring back to remove ice with. Spend a couple hours melting frost and removing it. Get turkey baster to pick up melted water from bottom. Dump bucket a couple of times.

Eat and take break. Barely manage to get back to it, and only because otherwise a freezer FULL of food will spoil. Pack and inventory, being careful to mention where different foods are placed so we can find them later. E-mail the inventory so it can't be lost if the computer hard drive crashes as happened with the last inventory. Clean up the mess. Put towels into washing machine.  Dry towels.

And this time, we'll print out the inventory and put it on the door. With a pen. I'll get the towels folded and put away tomorrow.

I'd hate that freezer, but it has never given us a minute's trouble, except for having to defrost it. We got it in 1989. We did have to replace the gasket once. And fix it again yesterday.

I don't need to grocery shop for a year, I have enough meat!
Sharon

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2013, 10:18:16 PM »
Sharon - WOW, good job!!   ;D

Even though it was a big task - just think of how much you accomplished - that should make you feel really good! 

Since you have recent experience . . . .  my chest freezer needs cleaning out too, are you available??   :)

Enjoy the fruits of your labor . . . or meat, in your case.    ;)

Bucky

Carebear

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2013, 03:44:02 PM »
I finally finished painting the living room last month.  Yeah!

Now I am tackling the storage room.  It has started to turn into the "throw room" of late.  You know how it goes.  I will just "throw" this in here until I get a chance to do something with it.

Well, now is the time.  I am about half done.  But I am resting in bed right now.  I shall finish with it by the end of tomorrow.  I even bought some containers with handles to organize my cleaning supplies.

We are having yet another blizzard outside so working in the basement keeps me from looking at the recent ten inches of white stuff Mother Nature is giving us.  Another four inches is expected.    >:(
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.

susanep

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2013, 12:41:12 AM »
My brain fog has been so bad that I haven't posted in awhile. Sorry.

I cut my husband's hair today, and went to check on my dad. I measured and sewed on a small project I have been working on, but that is all I have done today.

I got way off my diet for awhile, but have been back on it.

slccom

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2013, 02:38:21 PM »
Let's see. I am getting busy again. As is hubby. We got the kitchen drains unclogged, as it turns out, with grease. He snaked and I put in baking soda and vinegar. Then we found some leaking under the sink, which turned out to be from the dishwasher. He put Teflon tape on the fitting and, voila! I can use both my bathroom AND kitchen sinks freely. Now to deal with the slow-draining bathtub and regrouting the tile around the bathtub so it doesn't rain downstairs when he showers.

After reassembling the cabinet under the sink, I put everything that lives there away, then the next day, I cooked! two roast beefs and about 7 pounds of potatoes, 2 pounds of carrots and even was able to peel and cut 5 onions. I made gravy the next day. We'll have a few meals off of it, and then grind it all up, add in Worcester Sauce and make pie crusts and make pasties. We don't bother trying to freeze those; we just gobble them up. (When I cook, I cook! We eat off of it for days! Leftovers are the best!)

We picked up a couple of sets of drawers like for a water bed that we need to touch up the scuffing and scratches. Then we'll fix up the bedroom, which is an unmitigated disaster. I had foot surgery several years ago and haven't tried to clean or organize it at all. We need to get rid of some clothes, which I did earlier. We need to get rid of more, though. And we will rearrange to make it more functional. That job makes defrosting the freezer look like a day at the park, but we'll get to it. Not this weekend, though. Concert Sunday night.

Please nag me!
Sharon

slccom

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2013, 02:43:54 PM »
I forgot to say that I got my favorite summer blouse mended, too! And some other mending.
Sharon

Carebear

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2013, 02:46:37 PM »
I finally gave in and asked my daughter to help me with the heavy house cleaning a few hours each month.  She started today.  What a great girl!   

Asking for help...another new leaf.
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2013, 04:56:06 PM »
Good job Carebear, Susanep and Sharon!!   :D

I have such good intentions and then get nothing done.  I've wasted day after day not accomplishing much at all.   :(

I work part-time, and on my days off I'm usually doing grocery shopping, paying bills, doing laundry, cooking, cleaning, running errands, etc. that I'm too tired to do anything besides the "day-to-day" stuff. 

As I have mentioned before, just going grocery shopping wears me out when you have to walk a football field size store, load everything into the car, unload it when you get home, and then put it all way.   :-\ 

I did get that shoe organizer I had ordered online and have since filled every slot ( :D) and have it hid underneath the bed which frees up the bedroom floor of all the shoes.  Plus, I took Melinda's suggestion and did away with the hanging shoe organizer in the closet which freed up a tiny bit of room in the closet too.  Yay!

It always feels good when you can SEE the fruits of your labor when you put a lot of work into a project.  The part that irritates me is I work my buns off cleaning and organizing and then the boys come home and pile things over chairs, on the counter, etc. and then it feels like I never get ahead!  Grrrrrrrr

Keep up the good work everyone.   :D

Carebear - is your daughter for hire?   ;)

Bucky

Carebear

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2013, 05:06:05 PM »
Bucky,  that's funny.  I'll ask her.   ;). She works for cheap but the air fare might make it a bit pricey.   :)