Author Topic: A frozen ice cube  (Read 2331 times)

LisaMarie

• Records show Sjogren's
A frozen ice cube
« on: November 01, 2012, 12:59:38 PM »
My right hand feels like a frozen ice cube!  I've had cold hands before.  But the ache and pain I am feeling in this hand is awful.  I feel like if I bend my wrist, it will break.  It does crack some.  It feels like it has been out playing in the snow without gloves for an hour.  Adding the neurontin has helped with the tingling.  But this really cold pain is new and different.  Anyone else know what I'm talking about?
Plaquenil (generic), vitamin D, Amitriptyline, Citalopram

slccom

Re: A frozen ice cube
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 01:11:26 PM »
I would go see someone about that. Start with your GP IF you can get in ASAP. Otherwise, to to an Urgent Care or even the ER. It is possible you have some sort of blood flow blockage, or just really, really severe and highly-localized Renaud's. I wouldn't mess around with that.
Hugs, Sharon

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 04:44:57 PM »
While waiting to get in to urgent care, try wearing some thinsulate gloves. I will some times wear my gloves in the house. If your had is changing color I may even go to ER. A young gal in my graduating class had a cold blue arm and went straight to the ER. She ended up loosing her arm in less than a day.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

slccom

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 06:26:35 PM »
For Heavens' sake, LisaMarie, don't leave us in suspenders! Did you go see a doctor? How is your hand? I've been worrying about you!

Sharon

jazzlover

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 06:57:26 PM »
I have Raynaud's and my right hand is the worst. I hope you went to the Dr!!

I bought a HEATED mouse for my computer last winter. Works great!!!  Also.. look at FootSmart for some gloves that have open fingers. Item # 073882  .. I plan to buy these too!!
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

LisaMarie

• Records show Sjogren's
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 05:23:14 AM »
No, I didn't not go to the doctors.  My hands are just soooo very cold.  I started neurontin about a month ago and am on my second full week of taking the second dosage so I had hoped that it would have helped.  But I think that I will need to send my Rheumy, Dr. Wonderful, a note on the online system and see what he says.  My co-worker complains about a lot too.  I can't say that she doesn't have the stuff happening but she is very aggressive at seeing doctors for everything.  She's getting fmla paperwork completed just so she can get a space heater.  I just think that a space heater will just make my skin even more dry and I will sit here and rub my legs raw because of the heater.  I just keep blowing on my hands, always drink hot water so I have a hot cup in my hand, and sit on them occasionally to warm up.  They just hurt so bad at times.  They are not discolored though.  Just very very cold.  Ok, I convinced myself that I need to send Dr. Wonderful a note.

Tivia

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 09:36:41 AM »
You know I think I asked before but, raynauds is red white blue correct? I mean I get terrible frozen fingers that hurt bad but never go red white or blue. Just like frozen and numb tingly then I run warm water over them and man it hurts. If that was raynauds there would be a color change from what I understand?

LisaMarie

• Records show Sjogren's
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 10:16:50 AM »
Good question.  As I said, mine don't seem to turn color.  But I have really fair complexion so who could tell if it was pale? 

Recently I've noted that I could no longer mix my meatloaf without pain in the hands.  It was really painful and I had to keep rinsing under warm water to get through that task.  Time to buy meatloaf already mixed.  (Sorry Mom.  I'll never be the cook you were.)

lolo1979

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 06:58:24 PM »
LisaMarie,
ME TOO on the icicle hands, and with having pain from tasks like that -- mixing meatloaf, unwrapping or opening things from the freezer, etc. And I don't have the raynauds color changes either. I assume it is a poor circulation thing, but I guess it could also be nerve inflammation causing the pain.

Not sure, but I definitely suffer the same!!!

jazzlover

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 10:57:32 AM »
You know I think I asked before but, raynauds is red white blue correct? I mean I get terrible frozen fingers that hurt bad but never go red white or blue. Just like frozen and numb tingly then I run warm water over them and man it hurts. If that was raynauds there would be a color change from what I understand?

-
Could be that your Raynaud's is not severe enough yet. My fingers (and FEET) get really really cold. When I have an acute attack,  my fingers turn completely WHITE, then red and blue as the circulation comes back. The only thing that makes the circulation come back is when I run them under warm water for several minutes. Then they hurt because of the blood coming back in. Similar to how it feels when your hands or arms fall asleep, only worse.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

LisaMarie

• Records show Sjogren's
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 11:42:47 AM »
I've asked for a new mouse at work.  I've been using this old mac one that has a broken track ball.  I'm thinking that maybe (or it may be wishful thinking) that it is just like carpal tunnel type of thing or just because of having to utilize the mouse poorly.  Well see.  I have another work topic that I'm going to post.

xANTHONYx

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 03:48:48 PM »
If you really think that the computer mouse is the culprit, what you really need it some support for the wrist such that it stays in a natural relaxed position when using the mouse. The best thing is to get one of those mouse pads at Office Depot or Best Buy that have the little pillow on one edge of the pad for you to rest your wrist on without it getting bent. You could also ask for a wireless mouse. They are not very expensive anymore and they will give you the ability to to use the mouse basically anywhere so you can change positions several times a day.

Although, if you are on a Mac, you are probably going to want to go to the Apple website and get their wireless Magic Mouse or the Magic Trackpad which is a giant version of the Macbook Pro's mouse. They aren't my cup of tea, but then again I'm not a Mac person and they probably know what works best with their systems.

Jozee

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 04:55:10 PM »
I have that same issue from the waist down. I was finally told I have small fiber sensory neuropathy. I take large doses of gabapentin but it doesn't really help much. Ny neurologist kept suggesting medical marijuana for years and I fought it. I didn't want to be a "druggy" but finally after 30years of suffering I now have a medical marijuana card. Just 2 puffs helps soooo much. I'd say about 85% of the frozen pain goes away. It may not be for everyone and some jobs will make it so you cant try it but if all else fails its worth a chot.

I am NOT a druggy. I am helping my pain. Not using it to get "high".

slccom

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 09:41:48 PM »
We get it, Joee! I'm glad it works for you. Sharon

LisaMarie

• Records show Sjogren's
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 03:11:18 AM »
So many good posts.  I keep looking for the facebook like button.  Thanks for the feedback.  I'm taking 600 mg of gabetin a day already.  Just bumped up to that about two weeks ago.  One change I've noticed is that I'm feeling rested for a change.  But the numbing freezing hands continue.  I also have facial numbness - especially around my right eye.