Author Topic: One week mini challenge - Oct. 15-28* * EXTENDED  (Read 11611 times)

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
Re: One week mini challenge - Oct. 15-28* * EXTENDED
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2012, 05:19:12 PM »
Monday, I went outside, and cleared away some dried weeds and leaves in my flower/rock garden for the winter. I love my little garden area, and I still found one little purple flower in bloom I had set out in the spring. Oh and still a few white blooms left on my butterfly bush I set out too.

The bigger dogs had fun following me around outside, and it felt good just looking at the leaves left on the trees, and looking at all the fallen leaves.

Didn't go anywhere to do anything, but checked on my dad.

Today, Tuesday went to my dads, and also seen the great nieces, who had their grade cards. Bragged on one of the twins who made the 1st honor roll, the other one made second, the next oldest sister made the second, and the oldest one, who is now a teenager said she made the 3rd, and there is no 3rd.

She is heavily into sports (basketball, track,etc.)and other clubs she belongs to so it has had an effect on her grades. Nothing was less than a C , but oh well. hehe. Also, since the teens set in, I hardly recognize her. hehe.

I don't think I got in what I wanted to, but hopefully this week I will get in something more. Hope so anyway.

Have been in bed alot too with aching joints. Cooler weather I guess. Although it was warmer today.

susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2012, 07:19:55 PM »
Day 9 of our two week mini challenge.    ;D

Everyone is doing a great job on being outside and acts of kindness.  Keep up the good job!

My outside time today was productive and I washed windows on the front porch.  I was waiting until they harvested our field and were done stirring up dust before I washed them.  Now, I'll have clean windows to look out of to watch the cats, birds, deer, and wild turkeys.

Speaking of birds . . . today, I heard all kinds of squawking on the porch.  Looked out the window and there was a blue jay with a piece of dry cat food in his mouth.  The birds have a habit of snitching the cat food.  Silly birds.  They better be careful or they will be the cats dinner!!! 

For an act of kindness - I hooked up two friends of mine, who don't know each other, to be a support system for each other.  Both these gals have lost a son to cancer - one, within the last four weeks.  As it is for us here on this forum - no one understands the ups and downs we experience with Sjogren's more than a person who also is dealing with Sjogren's.  Even though I have lost many family members to cancer, I haven't walked in their shoes losing a child.  I'm hoping these two ladies can help each other through the emotions and challenges of day-to-day life as they deal with the sorrow of losing their sons.  I only wish they lived near each other, so they could meet in person - but, they live in different states.  I love both these ladies and wish them a truly special friendship.

Continue to keep up the good work on your outside time and acts of kindness. 

Bucky

"Never deprive someone of hope; it might be all they have."         H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

stillinshockwithsjogrens

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2012, 12:34:29 AM »
Bucky,

Hooking up your two friends who each lost their sons to cancer was a very, very thoughtful thing to do.  I cannot imagine the pain of losing a son or daughter; no one can unless you have experienced it, which is why they may be able to communicate and console each other in a meaningful way. 

genko_b

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2012, 08:09:20 AM »
Monday went as planned.

Tuesday's outdoors time was spent waiting outside the door of the state prison, a bleak place on a windswept hill. After driving out there through the beautiful golden foothills, it's quite a contrast to see the ratty lawn and barbed wire surrounding the building. Inside the grounds, however, the men have planted donated marigolds along the path - a bright spot in all that misery.

I'm about to go out into my garden to gather flowers for arranging. Some blooms survived our recent hailstorm, but it is almost time to cut the plants back and let them rest for the winter.

Genko

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2012, 05:27:03 PM »
Day 10 of our two week mini challenge.   ;D

genko - your prison ministry must be a bright spot for the men at that facility.  I bet they won't let you bring any of your own flowers there, will they?  I'm sure the prison doesn't want to spend the money to spruce the yard up - but, it would do the men good to see the fruits of their labors in a positive way.  That's nice they can at least enjoy the marigolds.

It was a beautiful, sunny fall day here in Central IL.  The high today was 79 degrees.  We better enjoy it today as it will drop by 40 degrees by the weekend.   :-\

Today, I walked around our property enjoying the colors of all the leaves, the crunching of the fallen leaves and just taking in the landscape.  This time, I walked into the woods which was blanketed with a sea of brown and yellow leaves and twigs.  We have this deep ravine on one end of our property - which is where I was today.  I walked to the edge of the ravine, but don't dare go down into the ravine.  In my younger years, I would have loved it.  We spent a lot of time playing in the woods back home in Ohio.

We have red maple trees in the front yard.  One tree is completely bare of its leaves already, the second one almost completely bare, and the third one 3/4 bare.  By the weeks end, I'm sure all three will be bare.   :(  For right now, there is a carpet of red leaves covering our front yard . . . so pretty!

Today's kindness was an indirect kindness.  I had a gentlemen come to the front door and ask if we had a dog.  I said, "no".  He had found a dog walking alongside the road past our house.  So, I went to the car to see the dog, a cute little poodle type dog.  The dog had some tags jangling from it's collar, so I read that his name was Dusty, and on the back of the tag, was the owners name and phone number.  It was our neighbor across the field from us - if not them, then one of their boys dog.  So, I directed the man and his wife to the house they needed to go to.  I bet Dusty will be happy to be home again.

Continue to get outside each day and look for opportunities to share kindness.

Bucky

"Nothing is more expensive than a missed opportunity."      H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2012, 04:17:37 PM »
Day 11 of our mini two week challenge.   ;D

:o  What a difference a few hours makes . . . at 12:25 p.m. our temperature was 75 degrees, now at 6:00 p.m. it is 49 degrees (feels like 44).  It's suppose to get down to 37 tonight.   :o

The wind has been blowing and gusting today so it's taken a lot of the leaves off the trees.   :(  Our red maples in the front yard are almost completely bare.

I spent my outside time standing on the back step waiting for dinner to cook in the oven (homemade pizza . . yum!).  I couldn't hear anything outside except the wind blowing the trees - with gusts up to 27 mph.  The sky was just a misty gray mass of clouds.  As I was driving home from work there were really dark clouds and then in four different spots there were sunbeams peeking through the clouds.  It looked like spotlights shining down from the heavens.

It rained briefly on my way home from work and my husband said it was pouring really hard where he was at on his way home from work.  According to the weather map, there is more rain coming here shortly tonight.

Today, I ran an errand for a co-worker as my act of kindness. 

We only have 3 more days left of this challenge . . . I hope you all are getting an opportunity to get outside each day.  Keep up the good work.

Bucky

"In our world we have lots of ups and downs, pleasures and pains.  But that's life and we learn to accept the bad with the good - without the bad times, we wouldn't appreciate the good times.  Life is precious and I cherish every single moment."          Sailor Moon

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2012, 03:27:15 PM »
Day 12 of our mini two-week challenge.   ;D

Brrrrr . . . another chilly day here in IL.  Right now, it's 48 degrees (feels like 42) with winds at 13 mph.

For my outside time, I walked around our backyard.  I noticed this huge wasp nest way up at the top of one of our black walnut trees.  Here's this nest just swinging back and forth in the wind.  It just amazes me how animals/insects in nature just KNOW how to build nests.  They don't have to go to Nest Making 101 classes, they are just born with this instinct to do this.

As I notice the squirrel nests in the top of the trees in our woods, it just amazes me they don't fall out of their nests as the wind whips the tree branches back and forth.  It is ALWAYS windy here.

Also, while I was outside, I was talking long distance to my SIL in another state.  She is being tested for various things, including Sjogren's!!   :o  For her sake, I hope she DOESN'T have Sjogren's.

I didn't go anywhere today, so no opportunities for acts of kindness.  It seems during the week I go to work and come home.  I'm a homebody and much prefer staying home on my days off over running around all the time.

We only have 2 more days left of this challenge.  I hope you all are still getting outside each day and are having opportunities to share kindness with others.

"See" you tomorrow,
Bucky

"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies."       Mother Teresa

Cheryl

• Sjogrens Staff
    • Enter here for chat room:
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2012, 04:34:23 PM »
My acts of kindness have been mostly little things, so I haven't written about them.   Today I had an opportunity that I almost bypassed.   I got into a checkout line at WalMart with 4 items to buy.   The lady ahead of me had an overflowing cart, even though we were in the "20 items or less" line.  She turned to me with a tired, flustered expression and said that she had to go out to her car and get the coupons she had forgotten.  She started pulling her cart out of line and motioned for me to move into her place in line.  Instead, I offered to unload her items onto the checkout counter while she went to her car for the coupons.  She returned in a couple of minutes, and most of her groceries were already rung up by then.  She was out of breath, red-faced, and so grateful!  Helping her out made my day! 
Chat co-host on Thursdays at 8:00 Eastern time

genko_b

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2012, 09:23:18 AM »
Catching up:

Wednesday and Thursday, back at the prison and then the county jail, with long walks to and from both buildings.

Then Thursday afternoon my sister and I went to a large local garden for a docent-led tour. This garden was planted over a hundred years ago, and now the trees are immense, with stands of trees interspersed with open lawns for people to gather. This garden was designed by the same person who designed Central Park.

The understory (shrubs, perennials, and ground covers) have changed over the years as the trees have grown. The most spectacular blooms were carpets and carpets of small pink and white cyclamens, with their heart-shaped leaves, around the feet of towering Douglas firs. It was cold but sunny, a great day for a garden tour.

Friday was stormy, but I braved the rain to gather flowers for arranging.

It's stormy this morning as well; we'll see what outdoors time is this weekend. Thinking of everyone in the path of the huge storm that is apparently coming together. May you make it through with a minimum of difficulty and loss.

Genko

Cheryl: Those little kindnesses too small to report are the best kind!

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2012, 04:44:19 PM »
Day 13 of our mini two-week challenge.   ;D

Today my outside time was again in the backyard.  We let a friend hunt on our property, so I couldn't walk around too much as to get my scent out there when Steve is trying to hunt.

I knew before this challenge was over I would hear Mr. Owl . . . and today I heard his hoo . . hoo . .  hooooooo, and it sounded pretty close.   :D

While I was outside I could hear neighbors mowing, using a leaf blower, and the creeeeeeking of the trees in the woods as they danced in the wind.  When I talked with the mailman today, he said we'll get more snow here this winter as the squirrel nests were so high up in the trees.  My goodness, I certainly hope we don't get THAT much snow!!

I didn't go anywhere today, so no acts of kindness.

Cheryl - what a kind thing you did for that lady.  I'm sure she appreciated it more than you know!  This lady is fortunate to have had YOU behind her, as anyone else wouldn't have been so kind and probably would have let that lady know in no uncertain terms that she was holding up the line, etc.  .Just curious - why was she in an express lane if she had so much stuff? 

genko - your walk in the garden tour sounds so relaxing. 

Tomorrow is the last day for our challenge.  We've had 10 members who signed up to participate and I'm sure we've had "lurkers" here reading along.   ;)

I know for myself, I am more motivated to do something when I don't have to do it by myself.  Company makes the journey that much sweeter!   :)

I'll "see" you tomorrow.

Bucky

"It would be nice to feel that we are a better world, a world of more compassion and a world of more humanity, and to believe in the basic goodness of man."          Barbara Walters

grammad97

« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2012, 03:29:14 PM »
Been housebound adjusting to a month of prednisone startup but I took a coat I had posted for sale on a local website to a business to deliver to the lady who wanted it. Instead of waiting for her to show up at work to meet me I left it with a coworker as my random act of kindness. I have plenty off coats and it wasn't like I needed the money I was selling it for. The lady is furious and wants to pay me. I explained it would be a blessing if she would just pay it forward sometime when she could.  Of course our conversation was public on the site. Others thought it was great but she did norm. Anyone else have folks be upset by the random kindness?
Primary sjogrens, UCTD; osteoarthritis;osteopenia; HBP ;fibromyalgia;RX-plaquenil, butrans 20mcg patch ;flexaril;hydrocodone5/325;restasis, omega3, vit D, super B complex;s ;gluten free;lisinopril;moderate hearing loss

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2012, 05:02:39 PM »
grammad97 - that's a shame that the lady was so upset by your kind gesture.  Some people do not want to accept things as "charity" - even though, that's not what your intention was.

If she insists on paying you, perhaps, if you wanted, you could drop that money into the kettles they have at the holiday times, or donate it to a local school, etc.

Bucky

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2012, 05:04:27 PM »
Day 14, and final day of our mini two-week challenge.   ;D

Happy Sunday to you all.

Once again today, I spent time outside in the back yard.  Steve was here, so I couldn't go far as I didn't want to interfere with his hunting.  I could hear mowers, dogs barking, a jet going overhead, the sound of leaves in the woods rustling in the wind.

The air this afternoon was cool and crisp.  It had a "winter" feel to it. 

Earlier, we had the big, white, fluffy clouds against a beautiful blue sky.  Tonight, as the sun was setting, I could see the moon (not yet full) peeking behind the trees - not yet high enough in the sky to see clearly.  I'm torn between which I like better . . . puffy clouds and blue skies, or a bright moon and stars twinkling in the dark sky of evening.  I've always thought I should be a weather person - as I am always watching the sky.

Today's act of kindness was surprising a co-worker with an egg/sausage mcmuffin for breakfast - his eyes lit up and his breakfast was consumed quickly.   ;)

I hope you have all enjoyed our mini challenge being outside and sharing random acts of kindness.  It doesn't require a whole lot to just brighten up someone else's day.  It could be something that is life changing for the recipient.  You never know!

Thanks for participating . . . I'll see y'all next challenge.   ;)

Bucky

"Success has nothing to do with what you gain in life or accomplish for yourself.  It's what you do for others."            Danny Thomas

Meld256

« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2012, 12:24:17 AM »
Bucky,
Just wanted to tell you what a great challenge this was; although I didn't officially participate.  Shame, shame on me! 

You think of the best ideas to challenge us, get us out in the world and to help others at the same time.  ;) Nice going, lady!

genko_b

« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2012, 08:59:12 PM »
I was out and about Saturday and Sunday both, coming and going from several activities. We have had a lot of rain, so I didn't linger outside.

I don't know that I did anything differently then I usually do, but it helps to be more aware of what I'm doing, and fun to read what others are up to as well. Thanks for doing these challenges, Bucky!

Genko