Author Topic: One week mini challenge - Oct. 15-28* * EXTENDED  (Read 11622 times)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
Re: One week mini challenge - Oct. 15-21
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 05:14:51 PM »
Day 4 of our one week mini challenge.

Brrrr, what happened to the nice 74 degree weather we had on Tuesday???  Okay - I admit, I whimped out on the full 10 minutes outside today.   :(  After I got home from work, I stepped outside and it was drizzling, 17 mph winds, and 46 degrees!  So, I was outside for 7 minutes but was too cold and came in. 

The trees were swaying back and forth and you could hear the leaves as the trees swayed.  Unfortunately, the wind has taken a lot of the leaves off the trees.   :(  The landscape in the fall can change so drastically in a matter of days . . . especially, when the rain and wind are beating on the trees and leaves.

The temperatures keep changing too . . . we've run the whole gamut from the 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's this week.   ::)

I hope each of you are still participating in this challenge.  Let us know how it's going for you.  Unfortunately, it doesn't look like we'll have 35 members joining us this time . . . that's okay, maybe next challenge they'll join in.   ;)  We use to have the challenges on the other board, I still think others "forget" to look over here.  We'll have to spread the word about this other board and maybe more members will automatically check BOTH boards on a frequent basis.

Bucky

"In any situation, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing you can do is the wrong thing, the worst thing you can do is nothing."          Theodore Roosevelt
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 04:25:57 PM »
Day 5 of our one week mini challenge. 

Wow, only 2 more days left of this challenge!  The time went by quickly.

Today I spent my outside time on the back step.  I haven't been feeling very well today - stayed in my nightgown all day - which is highly unusual for me.   :-\  Anyhow, it was nice to get outside and get some fresh air (which I wouldn't have done, had it not been for this challenge).

It's getting dusk time here and while I was outside I just listened to what was going on outside.  I heard:  a dog barking down the street, a train and jet in the far off distance, birds singing, squirrels chattering, crickets, vehicles going down the road, leaves rustling on the trees, dripping of the downspout, a rumbling noise . . . oh, that was my stomach!   ;)

I'm thankful for where I live.  The air is clean and not polluted with smog, traffic, etc.  There's just a different smell here in the country than there is in a city or heavily populated area.

I didn't go anywhere today, so no opportunity to do a random act of kindness - unless cooking dinner for my family (when I wasn't eating) counts.   ;)

Have a good weekend everyone - make sure and get outside for at least 10 minutes each day.  You can do it!

I'll be late with my post tomorrow as my outside time will be at a campfire / hot dog roast in the evening.  Should be fun.

Until tomorrow,
Bucky

"Have great hopes and dare to go all out for them.  Have great dreams and dare to live them.  Have tremendous expectations and believe in them."           Norman Vincent Peale
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

Cheryl

• Sjogrens Staff
    • Enter here for chat room:
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2012, 05:03:16 PM »
My outdoor time today was spent with 2 little granddaughters (ages 3 1/2 and 18 mos.)  I was going to cheat and count the babysitting as an act of kindness, but I enjoyed it too much.  We kicked balls around, had "races," and played in the leaves.  I should sleep well tonight  :)
Cheryl
Chat co-host on Thursdays at 8:00 Eastern time

genko_b

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2012, 05:55:49 PM »
Hi Bucky:

Perhaps this is cheating, but count me in anyway. I've been outside at least 10 minutes every day this week, enjoying the last blast of blooms in my garden, and a couple of days parking at a distance and walking to/from a destination.

Cooking for the family when you are sick definitely counts as an act of kindness!

Spent three hours yesterday at the local hospice care facility, hanging out with a friend who is struggling. And tomorrow I'll go check on my daughter's garden while she is out of town - she is worried about a few new plants since it has been so dry. It rained a bunch last night, but I promised I'd go and report back to her anyway. That last one will be a two-for-one deal, being outside in the bargain.

Take care,

Genko

gmomjuju

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2012, 07:18:25 PM »
Today I did an unbelievable thing.  I used to walk in my neighborhood daily (about 2 miles).  Then in the fall of 08 I become very ill.  Walking has not been a part of my life.  Today was a beautiful day, so I laced up the sneakers and dusted off the ipod and I went for a walk.  My lungs are a major issue and during the cold weather the Raynaud's kicks in.

Well, I made it and I am still alive! It surely wasn't my old 2 mile route but it was a major milestone for me.

My act of kindness it that I will be picking my husband from the airport tonight for a plane that lands 3 minutes before midnight!  He owes me big time!

I'm liking this Bucky!  Can we re-up for another week?

Judy

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2012, 10:57:42 AM »
I'm liking this Bucky!  Can we re-up for another week?

To all of you who are participating in this challenge - what's the consensus on this?  Do you want to extend this challenge for another week?  I'm glad there are 10 of us participating (welcome genko - glad you could join us!  :)) ).  I'm sure there are other members who are lurking, reading what we're doing, but not committing to joining us . . . it's never too late to join us!  hint, hint

Bucky

Cheryl

• Sjogrens Staff
    • Enter here for chat room:
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2012, 03:19:41 PM »
Sure, let's extend it!  The fall weather here is too nice to miss out on, and I'm sure those who are having spring now are loving the weather, too. 

Today I went to an outdoor festival at on old (but working) gristmill.  It was a beautiful afternoon, including full sunshine.  I don't tolerate sunshine very well, and I forgot to take a hat.  None of the vendors were selling hats or visors, so I decided to leave.  Then I saw a photographer's booth where people can dress up using props for a picture.   The man had a stack of phony cowboy-shaped hats made of foamart.  I begged him to sell one to me, and he ended up giving me one.   I was able to stay for a couple of hours (grateful to be wearing a pink foamart cowboy hat!)
Chat co-host on Thursdays at 8:00 Eastern time

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2012, 07:27:47 PM »
Day 6 of our one week mini challenge.   :D  (the length of this challenge will be changing tomorrow).

genko - I'm not surprised you spend your time outdoors tending to your gardens - your gardens definitely reflect your care for them.  I'm sure your friend appreciated the time you spent with them.  The gift of time is the most precious gift a person can give.

Judy - I bet it felt good for you to get some walking in again.  The hardest part, at least for me, is talking myself into doing it, once I'm out there, I'm enjoying it.

Yeah, your hubby owes you big time for making an airport run at midnight.

Cheryl - I'm sure you enjoyed your outdoor time with the granddaughters yesterday.  What, no picture of you in your pink foamart cowboy hat???  I'm glad that man extended an act of kindness to YOU, which in turn allowed you to stay and enjoy the festival.

Tonight, I attended a bonfire and hot dog roast for my outdoor time.  They had a great fire going and about 25 people there.  Thankfully, I wore long underwear under my jeans, heavy socks and hiking boots, gloves, and coat.  By the time I got home, it was 41 degrees outside.  Brrrrrr.

I love the smell of a bonfire - but, I don't like the lingering smell on your clothes, hair, coat, etc.  When I got home I put my coat in the washing machine.  I'll take a shower tonight before bed so I don't have to smell my hair all night with that bonfire smell.

I hope the rest of you are having a good weekend.  We're suppose to be in the low 70's tomorrow - yay, I'll take it!  I doubt we'll have too many more days like that.

Okay - I have decided to extend this challenge for another week.  So, if you are just now reading this thread - you are welcome to join us.  Just sign in and say you're in and then share what you've been doing with your outside time and random acts of kindness.

Sweet dreams . . . see you tomorrow.

Bucky

"To BE KIND is MORE important than to be right.  Many times, what people need is NOT a brilliant mind that speaks, but a SPECIAL HEART that LISTENS."   (seen on Facebook - I love being a mom's photo)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
Re: One week mini challenge - Oct. 15-28* *EXTENDED
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2012, 08:01:08 PM »
Day 7 of our one week mini challenge.   ;D  However, this challenge has been extended, so it is now going to be two weeks instead of one.

Sundays are always a busy, busy day for me, so I'm just now getting to this thread.  Today, we had a beautiful fall day, with temperatures in the low 70's.  I had things I had to get done today, so I wasn't able to get my outside time until after dark tonight.

It was a beautiful, starry night out tonight.  Way back in sixth grade, as part of our science study, we had these star charts that if you put under a light would glow in the dark.  I've got that same star chart packed away in a box "somewhere" in my bedroom.  I need to try and locate it as I would love to know where the different constellations are in the sky.  Tonight the moon was shining brightly too.  I read online that tonight after midnight there might be more meteor showers, but I can't stay up another late night with work tomorrow. 

As I was standing out in our front yard tonight just gazing into the sky I watched as four jets with their red and white flashing lights crisscrossed in the sky. There are at least a dozen deer bedded down in the field tonight.  One of them kept snorting at me as I was talking to Spooky, our cat.  During the day time, if one of the cats is out in the yard and the deer are out there too, they will stand there, stomp their feet and snort at the cats.  It's funny to watch.

My act of kindness today was holding a door for some people on the way out of the banquet tonight.

Don't forget to share what you're doing in this challenge.  I'm hoping we can pick up a few more people who wish to participate in this challenge this week.

Have a good week . . . "see" you some time tomorrow.

Bucky

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
Re: One week mini challenge - Oct. 15-28* * EXTENDED
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2012, 11:04:30 PM »
Bucky my brain fog is so bad that I can't remember to post. I hate that. Anyway, I will describe what I can.  ::)  I will start with today or Sunday, I am up late.

I took my little fur kid out back attempting a potty, but that was another story. I won't go there tonight. hehe. But, I looked up at the night sky, and seen the beautiful stars, and over a tree limb got a glimpse of the moon shining. It was nice. I did some extra acts of kindness for my husband who was busy trying to do some organizing of his computer space.

Saturday, we went to my son and daughter in law's for dinner, and the air was so nice. I noticed the trees along the way, and outside played with their two dogs, and gave the dogs a treat. I looked down at their mums on their front porch. So pretty.

Friday, I went down to my dad's. Was outside a bit with some of the great grand nieces. Took dad some meds for his cold, and told dad that we have ordered him a phone that he can more easily use to help him out.

Oh earlier in the day, I went over to the local store, and ask one of the ladies that works their how a certain situation worked out for her that she had told us about, and she thanked me for asking. We don't know her very well, but trying to be kind to her.

Honestly, before that I can't remember .

I want to take part in the extended days, but worry that I will forget to post some of the time. But, I will try.

susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

stillinshockwithsjogrens

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2012, 01:35:21 AM »
I am outside at least an hour or more a day walking the dogs and/or running errands, so that part of the challenge was a given!  One day I decided while on my doggie walk through the neighborhood (pretty heavily populated, a few parks, lots of grass and trees) that I would pick up all the poop left on the grounds, yuck!  It seemed like a good deed, although I'm not sure if it really helped any one in particular, or made their day  :P

My husband and I spent the weekend shopping and eating at a few malls and noticed that there were a lot of different people taking various group pictures, so  every time that scenario was there, I volunteered to take the pic of them, so that everyone could be included; there were several instances over the course of the weekend out.

No real biggies, I hope this next week i can think of something a little more meaningful.  Looking forward to it!!

genko_b

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2012, 01:15:30 PM »
We had a major storm yesterday (Sunday) so my outdoors time was spent on the deck, under cover, watching hailstones fall. In spite of the hail and wind, there are still lots of leaves on the trees.

Today my sister, daughter and I have our weekly girls' lunch, which always includes a short walk. My daughter works from home and uses her lunchtime to get out and get moving, often with 2 corgis in tow. I'll bring along all the things my sister asked for me to print out for her - don't know if that is a good deed or not!

Genko

Peony

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2012, 02:43:23 PM »
Bucky - this is wonderful - great work everyone  :)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2012, 04:12:49 PM »
Day 8 of our two week mini challenge.   ;D

Monday already??  The weekends go by waaaaay too fast!

After getting home from work, I put some boots on (it rained today and the grass was wet) and walked around the yard.  Spooky spied me and was my companion following me around.

The air has that fall rain smell to it.   :D  This week the temperatures will be like a roller coaster - in the 70's for the beginning of the week, and by Friday, into the 40's!!  :-\ It's no wonder so many people are sick right now.

While I was outside, I just walked around the yard listening to the birds.  There were several little birds that were chasing each other - reminded me of young children as they run and play.  I'm sure momma bird was thinking . . okay you kids, it's time for dinner, hurry up and quit fooling around.

I could hear a jet, but it was really cloudy, so I couldn't see it.  We're "kinda" on a jet path, but it's not high volume like it would be living in Chicago or other big city with an airport.  We have a small airport with mostly little "puddle jumpers", but we do have the occasional BIG jets too.  Plus, the Air National Guard hangar is here and several times a month you'll see the HUGE jets flying two-by-two as they practice their drills, etc.

No opportunities for any acts of kindness today on my part.

susanep - I bet the lady at the store appreciated that you remembered her and thought enough to ask how she was doing.  I'm sure it lifted her spirits. 

giftedpooch - all the people who had "group" pictures with everyone in them will be grateful you took the pictures for them.  (I usually volunteer to take any pictures, so I don't have to be in them!   ;))

genko - sure, copying stuff counts as a good deed.  I bet your sister appreciated you doing that for her.

I hope you each have a good evening and week ahead.

Bucky

(oops . . I forgot to post a quote last night, so I will post two here to make up for it.   ;) )

"You're happiest while you're making the greatest contribution."          Robert F. Kennedy

"There is only one way to happiness, and that is to cease worrying about things which are beyond the power of our will."           Epictetus

grammad97

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2012, 10:14:15 AM »

So sorry I don't get on to post daily. My RAK were gave extra veggies from my bountiful basket purchase to someone who could use them, bought lunch for one of hubby 's employees, gave neighbor I didn't know a ride to airport. I didn't get outside a full 10 minutes at one time some days because of high winds and rain. I am outside daily with dog though. Take care all.
Primary sjogrens, UCTD; osteoarthritis;osteopenia; HBP ;fibromyalgia;RX-plaquenil, butrans 20mcg patch ;flexaril;hydrocodone5/325;restasis, omega3, vit D, super B complex;s ;gluten free;lisinopril;moderate hearing loss