Author Topic: One week mini challenge - Oct. 15-28* * EXTENDED  (Read 11621 times)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
One week mini challenge - Oct. 15-28* * EXTENDED
« on: October 11, 2012, 02:44:33 PM »
Hi everyone!   :D

For those of you who are new to Sjogren's World, I'm Bucky, one of the staff members here at Sjogren's World.  Through the years  I have held various "group challenges" for our members to participate in if they wish to.  Just something fun for us to do.

If you'd like to read about some of our previous challenges, here are a few:  http://sjogrensworld.org/forums/index.php?topic=10189.0  http://sjogrensworld.org/forums/index.php?topic=13278.0  http://sjogrensworld.org/forums/index.php?topic=14461.0

I can't tell you what the specifics of the challenge is just yet - you'll have to stay tuned to find out.  Check back on Sunday evening.  ;)

I'm hoping we can get at least 35 members to participate.  I've tried having members put numbers next to their names as they joined the challenge, but some members don't know how to count and our numbers got mixed up.   ;)  Just sayin'.  So, I'll just keep tabs on how many are participating.   ;D

Looking forward to our challenge together - I hope you'll join us. 

Bucky
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 08:02:01 PM by Bucky »
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

slccom

Re: One week mini challenge coming Monday, Oct. 15th
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 04:24:23 PM »
Hey, Bucky, if I had known tthat the ability to count was a prerequisite for joining, I never would have!  ;D Sharon

Bucky

• Global Moderator
Re: One week mini challenge - Oct. 15-21
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 08:20:46 PM »
Hi everyone - here we go with our 2012 Fall Mini Challenge.   ;D  This 7-day challenge runs from Monday, Oct. 15 thru Sunday, Oct. 21st.

I tried to think of something different for this challenge.  After much thought, I decided on a dual challenge.  With the changing of the seasons, and such a hot, hot summer for most of us - I know for myself, I didn't get outside much at all this summer.  With the winter months (here in the US) fast approaching, I feel if we don't get outside NOW to enjoy the crisp fall days and the beautiful changing pallet of colors, it will slip away from us.

So, I would like to repeat a part of this challenge from years past and encourage you to get outside for at least 10 minutes each day.  While you are outside - take a walk, bike, do outside chores, rake leaves, garden, stand, sit or whatever you choose to do . . . just be outside.

As you've read in my posts before, I love nature.  Being outside on these 10-minute challenges allows me the opportunity to watch and hear all of nature prepare for the upcoming winter.  There is so much activity outside - from the birds, squirrels, wild turkeys, deer, and farmers harvesting their crops, etc. 

The second part of the challenge is to do at least two random acts of kindness these next seven days.  Kindness as an attitude is infectious.  When you're willing to share your kindness, others will be inspired by your example and think about doing something as kind themselves.

There are so many different ways to perform random acts of kindness - from letting a person go in front of you in line at the checkout, carrying groceries for someone, sending a thank you note to someone you appreciate, visit the local fire department and thank the men/women who protect your community, give some coins or a $1 to a child you meet in a store and watch their face light up, walk your neighborhood and pick up trash, pay for a meal for the person in back of you in the drive-thru or next to you in a restaurant, take a meal to a shut-in, share a smile and an encouraging word with someone who is grumpy and frowning.  The list is endless.

The best part of random acts of kindness is when you do them and expect nothing in return.  The thing about kindness is that it has it owns rewards.

So there you have it . . . a dual one-week challenge:  10 minutes outside each day, and to perform at least two random acts of kindness.

Then, report back here and let us know how things are going. 

I hope to have at least 35 members participate in this challenge.  Will you join me?

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

A66eyroad

• Be kind to yourself today!
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 06:30:06 AM »
I will commit to doing this for the week!  Great idea!

A66eyroad, #2
Female, 61
Sjogrens, UCTD, and subacute cutaneous lupus. Flu-like symptoms, mouth & nasal ulcers, itchy rash, high cholesterol, headache, earache, tinnitis, dizziness. Hangover-like nausea, especially in the a.m.
Plaquenil, Atabrine, DHEA, Aleve, Evoxac, Allegra/Benedryl, esomeprazole.

grammad97

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 07:36:04 AM »
Count me in please!
Primary sjogrens, UCTD; osteoarthritis;osteopenia; HBP ;fibromyalgia;RX-plaquenil, butrans 20mcg patch ;flexaril;hydrocodone5/325;restasis, omega3, vit D, super B complex;s ;gluten free;lisinopril;moderate hearing loss

Nancy60

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 11:45:14 AM »
Count me in too!  I still have time today to start : )

Nancy

iraisin

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 03:14:07 PM »
Thank you for this challenge. I've been wound so tight I squeak when I walk. I'm driving to the lakes edge right now and watch the water birds and the boaters.

I just need a nudge sometimes...thank you.

Cheryl

• Sjogrens Staff
    • Enter here for chat room:
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 05:18:23 PM »
I'll be #7!
Chat co-host on Thursdays at 8:00 Eastern time

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 06:24:51 PM »
Day 1 of our one week mini challenge.   ;D

I'm so glad there are 7 of us so far who are going to participate in this challenge.  Anyone is welcome to join us anywhere along this week - don't think you're too late if you didn't join the first day.

Today, I spent my 10 minutes outside walking around our property.  I love the crunching sound of dried leaves.  I also love the "smell" of fall . . . it smells so . . so . . fallish!  LOL 

On my trip in the yard, I started collecting different colored leaves to bring inside and use as decorations.  I still have my leaves from a challenge two years ago pressed in a book.  When I open the pages of that book, it has that "fallish" smell to it.   ;D

I just love the colors of fall . . . the reds, yellows and oranges and when the sunset illuminates the woods next to our house it casts this beautiful, bright hue of color.  I wish the colors lastest longer than they do.  Soon, there will be bare branches.   :(

Our woods sounded like a symphony of birds.  It reminds me of a bird sanctuary with all of them singing/talking in their own octave.  Woody also was contributing his part as he tapped, tapped, tapped on the tree.  We have several owls in the area.  I didn't hear them today, but I bet before the weeks challenge is over, I will have heard them.

How was your day?

As is my tradition with challenges, I will close with a quote each day.

Bucky

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."     Robert Brault
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 07:01:01 PM by Bucky »

Nancy60

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 07:39:58 PM »
I spent about 40 minutes sitting outside on my back patio reading, with my foot propped up (I had an injection in it today) and drinking a glass of wine.  It was really nice hearing the birds and the wind in the trees.  It was nice today, in the 80's and cools down now at night so early evening is really nice.

I'm not sure if this counts as a good deed, but this challenge did make me think and change my actions....I was on the phone trying to get information on how to get some records and the man on the phone couldn't tell me how to do it online even though he said it could be done, and he couldnt take my information to have the records sent to me, I would have to call back tomorrow during the same time but someone who could help me would be there.....I was losing my patience but took a deep breath and thanked him for trying to help me and told him I would call tomorrow.  He really didn't know what he was doing.  Poor guy.  So I didn't get upset or anything, tried to make him feel better.  Hopefully I did.

I also offered to help a friend out on scoring a test she wasn't familiar with and will be getting together with her later this week to help her. 

Thanks for thinking of the challenge!  It is great!

Nancy

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 07:57:29 PM »
Day 2 of our one week mini challenge.   ;D

What a beautiful fall day here in Central Illinois today.  We were in the mid 70's, but rather windy.  I spent my time outside today walking around our property.  In the fall I usually collect acorns to keep for the squirrels in the winter months.  I didn't see any acorns today, but I did see these other bigger nuts - which I don't know what they are.  I'll have to go back this week with a bag or something to collect them in as I didn't have anything with me today.

Today the sky was such a pretty blue with white swirled clouds that looked like someone had taken a paint brush and brushed through them.  I stood there and watched a bird gliding through the air taking advantage of the wind blowing him/her along the way. 

As I was walking along the property I would purposely find the fallen twigs and step on them to hear the crack and then the crunch of the leaves.  Growing up in Ohio, as kids we use to play in the woods a lot.  Fall time with leaves, bonfires, snapping twigs, etc. reminds me of fond memories of my childhood.   :)

The wind today was making so much noise the only birds I heard were a few crows.  We have some wild turkeys in our field and it's so funny to see them running with their heads bobbing back and forth, back and forth.  There were three of them out there today.

Didn't have any opportunity to do any random acts of kindness today . . . maybe, tomorrow.

Nancy - you did show kindness to that gentlemen on the phone, when you could have done otherwise.  Good job.  At least you stopped for a moment, and then changed your actions - when others may not have been so patient with him.

Helping your friend will be much appreciated, I'm sure!

Our time is the most precious gift we can give anyone . . . and one money can't buy!

I hope to hear from the rest who are participating in this challenge and let us know how you are spending your time and what kindness you are sharing with others.

Bucky

"He lives long that lives well; and time misspent is not lived but lost."        Thomas Fuller

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 11:15:54 PM »
Bucky I am sorry I meant to sign up, and it slipped my mind. Not sure what number I am, and I missed Monday, but Tuesday I went to my son's house, and fed his dogs and cats while he is away for a week.

We played with a new dog of his that is so pretty. It was even dark so I walked to the back of his house where I can see the night sky so well, and it was so pretty.

I rubbed the dogs belly several times. Sometimes the little critters need an act of kindness too. hehe.

I would say I was out there for about 15 minutes. I also noticed some of his pretty bushes. One had some wilted, but still pretty flowers showing the end of summer, and the first of new frosts.

I will report back later for Wednesday. I will add a day to make up for Monday if I can. I can't remember now what I did Monday. hehe.

susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 10:46:53 AM »
Day 3 of our one week mini challenge.   ;D

Glad you could join us Susanep.  I'm sure the dog loved the extra attention with his/her belly rub.   ;)

Before I had a chance to be outside today, I had to run some errands.  While in the store, I gave a $1 bill to three random children that I came across throughout the store that were spotted being good.  I think the parents were more surprised by the $1 than the kids were!  LOL  I heard one of the little boys say to his mom as I walked away, "who was that?" . . and his mom said, "I don't know - just some nice lady that thought you were being a good boy".  I'm sure all three kids were a little happier today.   :D

When I got home, I put on my hiking boots and walked around our property.  We have 26 acres of land - a good part of it is woods, and our field that we lease to a farmer.  I went back and picked up a handful of those larger nuts that I discovered yesterday.  Walked to the other side of the field over by the acorn trees - I found 3 acorns!   :-\  Maybe, since we had such a hot summer there weren't many acorns this year?  I don't know.  Mr. Squirrel is going to have slim pickins this winter from me. 

While I was walking along the edge of the field all of a sudden an orange streak of an animal ran in front of me into the woods.  We have seen fox here before - but, it looked a little smaller than a fox.  So, I call out, "TJ?" . . . the running animal stopped . . . it was our cat.  Silly boy!  So, he followed me around and then we came back to the house.

Looking into the woods with the sun shining on the yellow leaves and the tall black trunks of the trees - it was gorgeous.  I wish I had taken my camera with me.

I hope today has been a good day for everyone.  What did you do?

Bucky

"If you don't like something change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it."     Mary Engelbreit

stillinshockwithsjogrens

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 11:20:58 AM »
Bucky, this is a great challenge, I'm in!!

iraisin

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 07:40:07 PM »
Well, I went to the lake Monday evening and watched the boaters come in. I opened up the back of my SUV and sat in the back facing the water (the door opens upwards so I was shielded from any stray bird droppings from the seagulls).

I accepted that as a double act of kindness to myself. HA! somedays that counts ya know.

Tuesday I coudn't get out, the stress from work had me flat and then the debates came on TV - so gonna have to do a make-up day.

Today I went to the dollar cinema and watched Brave with some girls from work. I paid, big spender :). I wore flip flops like an idiot though, so now I'm thawing out my feet in some warm water and sitting in front of my computer and watching my dog dig and claw trying to make a nest in my new living room rug... sigh...

I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings. Thank you, Bucky, for reminding me there is a world out there that has nothing to do with work or Sjogren's.

take care everyone.