Author Topic: can you not heal your gut through diet if on antibiotics?  (Read 1948 times)

valene2009

can you not heal your gut through diet if on antibiotics?
« on: September 28, 2012, 01:25:17 PM »
i was recently told that even if you go on a gluten free diet (which i did ) your symptoms and gut wont clear up if you are on antibiotics.. i have been on long term antibiotics for my meibomian gland dysfunction.. what have you heard?  i dont know what to do. i cut my antibiotic in half and am going to see how my glands ddo in my eyes.. but my eye docs have all said i would have to continue on a low dose..help!

jazzlover

Re: can you not heal your gut through diet if on antibiotics?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 04:23:29 PM »
How long do you have to take them??

You will need to watch your diet .. no sugar, etc also while on antibiotics. I hope you are taking high quality probiotics as well?? Then your gut will have a fighting chance.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

sceezix

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 06:19:38 PM »
I would be concerned whether you can heal your gut while taking antibiotics (low dose or not).  Seems like you would be putting effort where effort can't help much.  It is my understanding that antibiotics kill the good bacteria along with the bad, so it may be quite a battle without much success. I will do anything to avoid having to take them; of course, there are times we have no other choice.  With that said, I was instructed to not take the probiotics at the same time as the antibiotic, as the probiotic will counteract the antibiotic effectiveness. Probiotics do help me to avoid yeast infections from the antibiotic.

Patty

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 06:29:49 PM »
I am on long-term antibiotics and my doctor told me to eat yogurt every day while on antibiotics. I don't know if that would help in your case or not but it probably wouldn't hurt.

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 07:20:55 PM »
Antibiotics kill both good and bad bacteria. You need to cultivate good bacteria that is why you need yogurt as a start. You may need to supplement with pro-biotics.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

valene2009

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 07:28:52 PM »
i have been on doxycycline for my meibomian gland dysfunction (mgd) -where the oil glands get very clogged in dry eye... even with high grade fish oil and compresses and having my doc express them every month they still get clogged...

i did cut my dose to 1/2.. i will see how i feel.. now my eyes are burning but they do that a lot..

i take Apex energetics for a probiotic from the naturopath i used to go to.. i assume its good? not sure..

i take it in the evening and the antibiotic in the am

so pretty much a strict diet isnt going to help me if im on an antibiotic??

ps. i hate yogurt adn dont eat dairy so cant do that one.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 09:40:10 PM »
ANyone who has to be on a gluten free diet for celiac disease generally can heal up their gut in several months. They say that one gluten exposure can cause issues that will take at least a month to heal.

My hubby has celiac disease and is on long term antibiotic for his low IgG level. I doubt that the antibiotics have much to do with the healing process involved with celiac disease. The damage that is caused in the small intestine is caused by a protein. It causes inflammation and flattening of the areas that absorb the nutrients in the gut. When the protein gluten is avoided the gut heals itself.

The antibiotics can be involved with bacteria in the gut, but this is another chapter and verse, so to speak. I would not cut down on your antibiotics without talking to your doctor. You are assuming something that is most likely not a problem.

People don't understand the process of the celiac and gluten exposure. People who go gluten free who are not diagnosed with celiac suffer from an intolerance and that is a totally different thing. An intolerance for gluten is most likely not fatal, but someone who has celiac disease can very easily die from malnutrition. Celiacs small intestine can get so damaged by the gluten that they are unable to absorb the oil soluble vitamins. If this continues for a long time malnutrition and all the isses that go with it can eventually kill a person.

Please don't assume that antibiotics and gluten have anything to do with each other until you talk with your doctor. IRish