Author Topic: Flu Shot? Can/Should we get them?  (Read 9832 times)

jazzlover

Re: Flu Shot? Can/Should we get them?
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 03:32:37 PM »
I can't believe most here are getting flu shots. I will not put that poison in my body!!

Vaccine Fillers and Ingredients

In addition to the viral and bacterial RNA or DNA that is part of the vaccines, vaccine fillers and ingredients include:

aluminum hydroxide
aluminum phosphate
ammonium sulfate
amphotericin B
animal tissues: pig blood, horse blood, rabbit brain,
dog kidney, monkey kidney,
chick embryo, chicken egg, duck egg
calf (bovine) serum
betapropiolactone
fetal bovine serum
formaldehyde (EMBALMING FLUID)
formalin
gelatin
glycerol
human diploid cells (originating from human aborted fetal tissue)
hydrolized gelatin
monosodium glutamate (MSG)
neomycin
neomycin sulfate
phenol red indicator
phenoxyethanol (ANTIFREEZE)
potassium diphosphate
potassium monophosphate
polymyxin B
polysorbate 20
polysorbate 80
porcine (pig) pancreatic hydrolysate of casein
residual MRC5 proteins
sorbitol
sucrose
thimerosal (MERCURY)
tri(n)butylphosphate,
VERO cells, a continuous line of monkey kidney cells
washed sheep red blood cells
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 03:36:17 PM by jazzlover »
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

Styx

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, 03:42:08 PM »
Jazzlover, source?

THE BRIT

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 03:49:12 PM »
  I got mine yesterday from my rheumy and have for the last few years as he said if I got the flu it would be bad.  I am also curious where you got that list of ingredients from.  The vaccine is such a small amount. 

jazzlover

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 04:20:01 PM »
Jazzlover, source?

eek... I'll have to search.. I found this on another site and I'm not sure the source was there.

editing to add... the person who posted it did not have a source.

Go here for info:

articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/10/31/flu-vaccination-epa-safety-limit-for-mercury.aspx

put "http://" in front
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 04:24:48 PM by jazzlover »
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

Styx

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2012, 04:48:08 PM »
Ok. I just want to point out that Joseph Mercola has been and is currently being warned by the FDA to stop making illegal claims about his products, and he's got a pretty long history on quackwatch.

That doesn't necessarily mean anything regarding the veracity of your claim, but it would definitely be good to find the original source. If it's just him, that's certainly a problem.

His most recent warning letter from the FDA:
http://www.casewatch.org/fdawarning/prod/2011/mercola.shtml

Styx

Iris

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2012, 07:46:44 PM »
Here's a site that lists some ingredients from earlier flu vaccines.. I see a lot of stuff on your list but most of the animal stuff or antifreeze I don't see.. But I do see one from 2007 that says Dog kidney cells..  :o

novaccine.com/specific-vaccines/vaccine.asp?v_id=16

I don't know if it's a reliable site or not..
Sjogren's Syndrome, fibromyalgia, essential tremor, RLS, degenerative disc disease, gastritis, Ischemic colitis, heart disease.
Lisinopril, Pantoprazole, Ranitidine, Plavix, Diltiazem, Simvastatin, Magnesium, Aspirin, pain meds, serum tears, fish oil

lolo1979

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2012, 08:30:51 PM »
I am going to back jazz lover up on this one. I've done hours and hours of research on this subject since I have 2 young boys. Now'a days babies have to get a ridiculous amount of vaccines- all before the age of 2. So I've done the research, and though not every ingredient jazz lover listed is necessarily in the flu shot, that list is definitely an accurate depiction of what goes into many other vaccines. 

Not to mention that you bypass the body's first line of defenses (skin, mucous membranes) and inject these things directly into your blood stream-- with nothing "softening the blow".

Anyway I can't post the research now because I'm on my phone, but I will definitely make it a point to come back soon and share some more mainstream info on this subject. Something others might find more credible than mercola (though I am a mercola follower too).

Ultimately though, it's important to remember that vaccines are like any other medicine. There's no predicting how you will react or tolerate it. And where one might have an adverse reaction, another might do just fine.  We shouldn't demonize vaccines...they are a powerful tool in our modern day arsenal against infectious disease. But, when deciding whether or not to get a shot, it pays to go through the risk vs reward analysis as we do with any other medication. 

Styx

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2012, 09:01:14 PM »
Here's a site that lists some ingredients from earlier flu vaccines.. I see a lot of stuff on your list but most of the animal stuff or antifreeze I don't see.. But I do see one from 2007 that says Dog kidney cells..  :o

novaccine.com/specific-vaccines/vaccine.asp?v_id=16

I don't know if it's a reliable site or not..

A website dedicated to "study vaccine data from a non-medical point of view" is not a good start, IMO.

The accessory links (often dead) typically point to sources that don't list ingredients.

I am going to back jazz lover up on this one. I've done hours and hours of research on this subject since I have 2 young boys. Now'a days babies have to get a ridiculous amount of vaccines- all before the age of 2. So I've done the research, and though not every ingredient jazz lover listed is necessarily in the flu shot, that list is definitely an accurate depiction of what goes into many other vaccines. 

Not to mention that you bypass the body's first line of defenses (skin, mucous membranes) and inject these things directly into your blood stream-- with nothing "softening the blow".

Anyway I can't post the research now because I'm on my phone, but I will definitely make it a point to come back soon and share some more mainstream info on this subject. Something others might find more credible than mercola (though I am a mercola follower too).

Ultimately though, it's important to remember that vaccines are like any other medicine. There's no predicting how you will react or tolerate it. And where one might have an adverse reaction, another might do just fine.  We shouldn't demonize vaccines...they are a powerful tool in our modern day arsenal against infectious disease. But, when deciding whether or not to get a shot, it pays to go through the risk vs reward analysis as we do with any other medication. 

I'd be happy to discuss this on a separate thread.

I'm not too interested in the ingredients of the vaccine. I'm more interested in discussing their safety.

"Vaccine safety" is not very controversial in medicine due to the overwhelming amount of data demonstrating that they do not cause harm (aside from the usual suspects: allergic reaction, etc.). An example of something controversial in medicine would be "using corticosteroids to treat patients with Sjogren's syndrome" because there is barely any data on the matter, and steroids are very dangerous.

In the end, like you, I'm ultimately just interested in the truth. Vaccines certainly have risks, but I would still argue that not taking them is not a good decision. In addition, in the case of vaccines, it may also endanger your community.

Styx

matildamillicent

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2012, 12:02:48 AM »
I was told I should be getting it. I've had the flu three times in my life. First time when I was 8, second time when I was 19 and the third time last week and I'm still recovering. My symptoms started with dry eyes when I was 6. So I don't know, but I'll continue to get them.

Katybarstool

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2012, 12:44:51 AM »
I'm having mine this weekend. I've had it every year for the past 10 - and the pneumonia one early on too. My dad died in a flue epidemic, and that's enough for me. Besides, I have brochiectasis and asthma, so am pretty vulnerable to the effects of full blown flu.

Kathyx

mshistory

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2012, 04:01:09 AM »
I personally don't care if vaccines contain eye of newt and monkey tails. What's important to me is that they have a long history of safety and efficacy, and the flu shot can prevent me from catching a virus that could be life-threatening. The risk of having an adverse reaction to any vaccine is extremely small. The risk of me landing in the hospital with breathing complications from the flu are pretty darn high.

I don't understand the concern over vaccine ingredients - we are exposed to far more harmful chemicals by breathing city air (especially where I live).

In addition to getting our flu vaccines, it's probably a good idea for us to ask our doctors about a pertussis booster since so many of us have lung involvement, and the CDC is predicting a sizeable pertussis outbreak this season.
SLE and SjS with PN. ANA >1:1280 speckled,
SS-A >8.0, RF positive. Botox for migraines, Clonazepam, Zoloft, Imitrex for migraines, CellCept 1000 mg, Plaquenil 200 mg, Restasis, Zofran for nausea, Gabapentin, Evoxac and Norco for pain.

cargillwitch

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2012, 09:35:26 AM »
a point to note is the flu shot you receive this year is a guess as to what flu strain MAY be dominate this season.

At any time millions of variants exist  and are mutating in  active circulation - just because you get "a" flu shot does not mean you have protection from all these illnesses- only the strain in the injection.

As a nurse I am constantly bombarded with notices from the Public Health Agency that question efficacy of a variety of vaccines- most notably pertussis  and  measles  that still have  incredibly high rates of illness even in vaccinated individuals.I also see many frustrated parents attempting to have their infants adverse reactions to vaccines  "put on record"- something that unless a coroner makes a note NEVER happens.

Remember that vast amounts of money are made on these vaccines - and as someone with an immune system dysfunction, injecting  foreign materials into my body with the hope it will illicit a response from my immune system gives me pause to consider every part of  its composition.
47 female, Sjogrens ,Raynauds,degenerative disc disease.Rheumatoid Arthritis, gastroparesis.

MissyLouWho?

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2012, 09:50:35 AM »
I skip mine now.  I always end up with a nasty virus a few days after I get it.   The years I skip, I don't get anything (knocks on wood  ;))

sceezix

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2012, 07:06:48 PM »

THANK YOU JAZZLOVER -- nope, nada and never will I have another flu shot (or any other vaccine).

jazzlover

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2012, 07:19:36 PM »
Styx... the ingredients COMPROMISE SAFETY!! That is the whole point!!!

Quackwatch sucks bigtime. Just ask any Lyme patient.

I have had maybe two flu shots in my lifetime. (??) I have not had the flu in about 35 yrs. Why mess with a good thing? Yes, I'm now knocking on wood!!  ;D

-
With regard to Mercola and his products,  I don't buy any, but he is right about SO MANY health issues.

(PS.. I will not have ANY vaccines either. They can crash my immune system, allowing the Lyme disease to come back on me.)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 07:21:14 PM by jazzlover »