Author Topic: Is this Parotid gland pain?  (Read 885 times)

AAACGRL

Is this Parotid gland pain?
« on: September 28, 2012, 03:02:53 PM »
I every now and again (now it's back) get pain where you'd think it was near the jaw but it isn't quite?  It's sort of between the back molar area and the ear if that makes any sense. And behind my last molar there is discomfort. (I've seen tons of dentists and they claim there is nothing there that they see or that needs attention) I do have tmj but this is also the side that I had to have my submandibular gland taken out due to chronic pain and inflammation. Is this where you all feel the pain from the parotids?  :/

AshtonMorgan

Re: Is this Parotid gland pain?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 04:25:54 PM »
I'm not sure if what I experience is the same as yours, but it sometimes feels like someone is crushing my head at my ears. The pain starts there behind my jaw bone and shoots behind my ears and down into my neck on both sides, making my neck and shoulders feel stiff. It sometimes feels like someone has their hands wrapped around my neck, applying pressure to the sides of my neck. I never feel like I can't breathe, yet it still feels like Im being choked--if that makes any sense. At the smallest bit of physical or emotional stress during a flare, I start to feel this pain and pressure and it will develop into a headache. Sometimes the headaches progress to migraines.

Nymph

Re: Is this Parotid gland pain?
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 05:02:45 PM »
I have heard a lot of people describe their parotid pain in that area. With the shape of my face, I have about 2 mm between my jaw and my ear. I had pain in front of my jaw joint, but towards the surface of my face. The way I knew it was my parotid was that the pain grew much sharper upon smelling/thinking about food and salivating. The surface of my face was extremely tender and it made my upper teeth hurt, too. (Look up pictures of the parotid on Google - you will see that major nerves run through there to the entire lower half of the face.) 

Now I do sometimes have a burning sensation between my ear and my jaw but much deeper in. I think that's my Eustachian tubes acting up. 

I learned from the folks here to hot-pack it. It helps a lot! Feel better.  :)
38 y.o. teacher; anti-CCP+, RF+, otherwise seronegative; POTS; Plaquenil, Allegra, Depakote, Neurolink, C, probiotic, multi-V, magnesium, quercetin, NAC, DHEA, fish oil, D3, turmeric, ubiquinol; <3 my neti pot