Author Topic: Does anyone else have EXTREMELY dry skin?  (Read 1969 times)

Tivia

Re: Does anyone else have EXTREMELY dry skin?
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 09:56:55 AM »

I do use Olive Oil on my face every morning and night,It even helps slough off dead skin and has anti-oxidants. I  even use it in the lower nasal passage, outer ear.. I just got tired of wasting money on "stuff" that did not work.

I am going to try this, seems the first sign of drying I had was skin, but I put it off as being a hot dry summer.
Sjogrens, UCTD with Lupus and Scleroderma symptoms, Ulcerative Colitis, Graves Disease, Severe Gerd and failing pancreas/biliary system . Poss ANA 1:640 speckled , nerve damage in legs feet and hands, fibro, Restasis, evoxac, creon, prilosec, plaquenil, apriso, canassa, prednisione

Byn

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 11:15:18 AM »
The new "organic" creams I ordered came on Tuesday of last week.  Nothing but natural oils in them.  I immediately tried them... and I was awake all night itching.  There was something in the cream that irritated my skin.  I had to get up in the middle of the night to take a shower and wash it off.  So far the Aquaphor seems to be the only thing that helps. 

DebbiK

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 11:23:25 AM »
My skin is very dry however my feet are worse. I recently found somethiing called Sole Saver from a Beauty Spa party. It costs around $20 for a tin of it. I will have to look up the website cause I know you can buy directly from them. My feet used to be cracked and horrible feeling but with this stuff they are starting to be soft again. LOL I just wish I could use it on my whole body sometimes :)

Deb

dbaratta

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 07:14:02 PM »
Dermatologist recommended Cera Ve (cream in winter, lotion in Summer).  It works so well, I can't live without it!  And, it's over the counter.  One caution, do not use it on your face.  It is too thick and clogs your pores.  It contains Hyaluranic Acid and It works!!!
Primary Sjogren's, RA, Raynaud's, Hashimoto's

mshistory

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2012, 08:30:48 PM »
Dermatologist recommended Cera Ve (cream in winter, lotion in Summer).  It works so well, I can't live without it!  And, it's over the counter.  One caution, do not use it on your face.  It is too thick and clogs your pores.  It contains Hyaluranic Acid and It works!!!

I use CeraVe Cream year round and on my face as well - never had a problem with it clogging pores, but they do make an AM and PM facial lotion for those that may be more prone to break outs. A lotion isn't going to moisturize as well as a cream though, so I stick to CeraVe cream (works very well for those with atopic dermatitis too).
SLE and SjS. ANA >1:1280 speckled,
SS-A >8.0, RF positive. Benlysta, Botox for migraines, Clonazepam, Zoloft, Imitrex for migraines, CellCept 1500 mg, Plaquenil 200 mg, Restasis, Zofran for nausea, Gabapentin, Evoxac and Norco for pain.

ashewoman

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2012, 09:47:44 PM »
I could be wrong but I think we all have the dry skin.  Also it seems a large number of us have what I think is more aptly called "sensitivity issues".  And believe me, I'm not trying to make light of it.  It's very serious if it is happening to you and very hard for people who don't have it to take seriously when you describe it.  They tried to tell me I was mental because I was annoyed by "creepy crawly feelings".  I really wish medical people would consider the possibility that they don't know everything so that when they are confronted with something they don't know they wouldn't jump to the conclusion its "crazy". 

Anyway, both are awful to be sure.  Nothing feels quite as miserable.  I like to try different lotions.  Glycerin based seem to work better than water based and don't even blink at the ones that contain any alcohol.  Also, and this is opinion, I find slightly more expensive lotions (within reason) seem to outlast the cheaper brands because I can go longer between applications which makes them more cost effective in the long run.  So instead of buying a giant bottle of store brand lotion, I rack up on those bath and body works sales when I can and get 5 for the price of 3.  It will last longer feel better and come out less expensive than going to the store twice a week to get more lotion.  And really I suppose its what you consider expensive.  I think they work better than medically recommended lotions and smell a heck of a lot nicer which has the added advantage of working as a sort of aromatherapy relaxant so I'm not smearing on lotion and gritting my teeth because I'm angry that I've had to stop and do it five times before I ate lunch.  Grrrrr!  LOL  And considering what they ask for small containers of some of the "dry skin" specialty lotions even at walmart, I think I am probably coming out about the same price to get my "smell goods".  And on those days when it hurts too bad to raise your arms and wash your hair in the shower, I'm sure I still smell semi-okay... which is yet another big bonus.  I wouldn't suggest trying it often tho.  LOL  Just when it is a must.  ;)
Good luck, sorry you had to join us but glad you did if you had to, GG

sceezix

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2012, 10:36:28 PM »
I have two children with atopic dermatitis as well as my own severely dry skin from Sjogren's, so I am very familiar with the creams out there!

Best one I've found is CeraVe Moisturizing Cream (comes in a tub like Aquaphor and Eucerin) but contains ceramides that help the skin to retain moisture. Apply it RIGHT after bathing or showering while the skin is still damp and apply a THICK layer to prevent that moisture from evaporating. Reapply as needed to dry skin.

MimyX cream (available by Rx only) is a good cream too - I have a few tubes left over from when we used this product on my girls' eczema, and sometimes apply it to my feet and hands at night before going to bed.

When the skin gets so dry that it starts cracking, the best remedy I've found is a thick layer of CeraVe cream followed by a thick layer of Aquaphor then immediately cover (e.g., if it's the feet that are cracking, put on socks). My skin usually heals within a couple of days of this.

^^^^^ I concur; CeraVe is the best cream I have found for dry itchy skin.  It is fairly inexpensive as well.  I feel your pain....waking up in the middle of the night itching my legs until I break the skin which then introduces a whole other issue. 

gmomjuju

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2012, 07:45:07 AM »
On my trips to the rheumy I pass by a wall that has phamplets regarding different diseases. I always pick up one from a local Sjogrens group called the Moisture Seekers.  In the most recent phamplet they had a write-up about a recent doctor that spoke to their group.  CeraVe was one highly praised moisture cream. I got it and as others have said...it is very very good!

Judy