Author Topic: steroid injection  (Read 474 times)

memelaura

steroid injection
« on: August 30, 2012, 09:14:37 AM »
How many on here have had steroid injections, are they to reduce inflammation and pain or just inflammation, and did they work for you. ?
I am new to this site and been going to rhumy for over a year. He thinks i might have Sjogrens but still having tests done.

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD
    • Chakra Force
Re: steroid injection
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 09:51:42 AM »
I think my last injection was over two decades ago. It seems I have been on oral steroids for decades.

While I am glad that you found us, I do not like it than anyone else should have to deal with this health challenge. I am more frustrated when I see younger people with this illness understanding that there is so little that is being done to help us. I believe that the medical model for Auto Immune disease is wrong. I use alternative therapy because of bad reactions to Plaq and MTX.

Sjogren’s – Dry eyes, dry sinuses, dry mouth, dry skin, and dry bum.

You may or may not be faced with other health challenges related to this disease that the doctors do not tell you about. Auto Immune (AI) diseases love to bring their friends. If you have one, eventually you will have more than one.

I like also suggest that people with AI diseases read “Spoon Theory” on the web. It helps to explain how our lives have changed and helps us understand how we can manage the changes to our lives.
http://butyoudontlooksick.com/navigation/BYDLS-TheSpoonTheory.pdf

1. Don’t Panic – Anxiety can make your symptoms worse. I suggest that you read and practice the exercises in the book “Feeling Good” by David Burns. The book is on Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT). It has information on dealing with depression, grief and other mental health issues that you may face in living and managing this disease.

2. Breathe – For as long as you live always remember to breath. When we are in pain, our muscles go into a splinting action. I know that it is hard but we must remember to breathe through the pain.

3. Meditate – Meditation can help you deal with pain and symptoms. When you can do it for 15 minutes you will be at that stage. Here is a very easy meditation technique that will help you as it has helped me. Find a safe comfortable position and close your eyes. With your eyes closed, look to the top of your forehead. As you breathe in, think “I am” as you breathe out, think “calm”. Repeat as needed. Meditation can be as good as sleep.

With Sjogren’s we tend to have a lot of infections so wear your “polar fleece mumps scarf” to bed. This will help your body to fight these infections. This link will help with the gland issues: http://www.chakraforce.com/Tonations.html#228.

Omega3, D3, C, Multivitamin, Probiotics seem to provide general support to our bodies when we are facing AI diseases. I like to add an 8oz glass of carrot juice every day to help my body generate endorphins.

I take what I call the Fabulous Five supplements and I wish I had known about them when I got my first AI disease. They are Alpha or R Lipoic Acid, Acetyl-L-Carnitine, Biotin, PQQ, and Co-Q10. As with any drug or supplement, do your own research and consult with your healthcare professional.
Sip-Swish-Swallow are the three S’s of Sjogrens.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Jellyb

Re: steroid injection
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 01:03:10 PM »
Hello!
I have had steroid injections done in my elbow twice and my knee once. They did help the pain, but it was only temporary , and the shots themselves were quite painful. What are you needing the shots for?
Primary sjogrens, Raynauds.
Magnesium, vitamin C, tumeric, low dose estrogen.

Multiple chemical and food allergies
Gluten free