Author Topic: My cat is sick  (Read 4519 times)

lighthouse33

Re: My cat is sick
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 09:06:51 AM »
Gus did not have to go to the vet hospital.  He's been eating his wet food (although not the amount that he needs to - a can and a half a day)  We've put back out the diabetic dry food so he can snack on that.  He's sleeping a lot but the urinating and drinking of the water and really calmed down.  Will go for another glucose curve next week. 

Carebear,

Thank you for inquiring about me.  I found out yesterday that I have MRSA.  I had this place on my back that I had been watching for over a week, finally decided yesterday to show it to mom and dad.  Mom said "Oh my Gosh - that's worst thing I've ever seen in my life - I've never seen anything like that."  The ER doc took one look and said it's an abscess with Community Acquired MRSA.  And, with Sjogren's I can't fight it off like normal people.  He lanced it which hurt like heck.  I have a prescription for doxycycline hyclate 100 MG that I take twice a day for ten days..  Also, a prescription for Mupirocin 2% Ointment that I will put in my nose twice a day for 5 days.  My nose has been bothering me all summer, the doc figures it's there also.  My dad is applying a warm compress three times a day and pushing out whatever pus / discharge that comes out.  Doc said if we don't get that out and the hole closes up, it will just come back again and be a never ending cycle.

I guess I am a MRSA carrier now.  So, when the rhuemy asks me if I've had any infections, I can raise my hand and say:  "Me, me!"  LOL!  MRSA, another gift from Sjogren's that keeps on giving.  If anyone has any experience with it, any help would be appreciated.
Female
Primary Sjogren's, polyneuropathy, endomitriosis, dietary fructose intolerance
Plaquenil, Lyrica, Tramadal, Omeprazole, Fortical, fish oil, flaxseed oil, benefiber, centrum chewable mulitviitamin, caltrate chewable 600 D+minerals, WSN Nerve Support Formula, Align, Biotene Products

Carebear

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2012, 09:31:14 AM »
Poor lighthouse!

My Dad had MRSA as well so I have a good idea what you are going through.

One good thing about being a carrier...you will always get a private room if you stay in the hospital.   ;)  I hope it heals well and quickly for you.
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.

meow

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2012, 09:41:41 AM »
Poor Gus!
And poor you :(

Positive thoughts and blessings  heading your way ...
I refuse to tiptoe quietly through life, only to arrive safely at death's door.

Sjogrens, Hashimotos, CFS.  Also, fast approaching CRS Syndrome ;)

Tivia

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2012, 05:00:26 PM »
Hello, I am new but I just wanted to say I am sorry your kitty is sick also. It always makes me sad to see our best friends in pain or sickness. Sometimes they are the only ones who stand by us through the darkest nights when we can be at our lowest. Its good he has a friend like you that will return the favor, best wishes for both of you. :)

lighthouse33

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2012, 11:15:18 AM »
Welcome to the forum Tivia.  I agree with you about pets standing by us.  They truly offer us unconditional love with no judgements.  Gus even sets by me while my dad puts on the warm compresses on my back.  We think it's a protective maneuver on his part.

Positive news on the diabetes front.  Gus' blood sugar level has come down.  They have lowered  his twice daily insulin shot from 3 units to 2 units.  The vet thinks the diabetic food is working.  He will return for another glucose curve in a month.  Last week he gave me a kiss after one of his shots.  Last night he popped out of his heated bed without any coaxing.  We think he looks forward to the attention he gets with the shots. 
Female
Plaquenil, Lyrica, Tramadal, Omeprazole, Fortical, fish oil, flaxseed oil, benefiber, centrum chewable mulitviitamin, caltrate chewable 600 D+minerals, WSN Nerve Support Formula, Align, Biotene Products

Katybarstool

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2012, 12:15:41 PM »
Lighthouse,

That's really good news about Gus. I bet he loves the extra attention too - but he deserves it.

Hugs
Kathyx

Tivia

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2012, 01:01:45 PM »
yay happy kitteh, just watch his diet and his weight and give him a snuggle from me :)

lighthouse33

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2012, 09:05:15 AM »
Gus got a clean bill of health yesterday.  How is that possible. 

The vets were quite surprised on Wednesday when they did a glucose curve and Gus did not require any insulin.  They checked his blood sugar again on Thursday and it was normal. 

He explained that it is rare but some cats outgrown their diabetes.  It usually happens after six months of insulin treatment. 

Gus will continue with the wet and dry diabetic food. And, we will monitor his water intake and his urine output. 

He kept looking for his shot this morning.  Lots of talking and following us around.  We think he liked all of the extra attention he was getting.  It is funny how they get used to a routine. 
Female

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2012, 10:43:55 AM »
I think that you should give him the extra attention just like he would get if he was getting the shot. Make him feel loved and cared for.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Ark mom

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2012, 08:16:25 PM »
Poor kitty!  I am so sorry he is sick.  I hope he recovers quickly.

I gave insulin shots to my type two diabetic kitty twice a day for several years.  When his weight got back down to normal his diabetes went into "remission" and no longer needed shots.  Apparently that is not uncommon for diabetic cats. 

Take care!  Lots of kitty hugs to Gus!
41 yo with Sjogren's (sero-neg), FMS & sub-clinical Graves; Plaquenil, Evoxac, prednisone, Restasis, Cellcept, gabapentin, duloxetine