Author Topic: My cat is sick  (Read 4512 times)

lighthouse33

My cat is sick
« on: August 22, 2012, 11:49:07 AM »
My Gus has just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. He will have to get insulin shots twice a day and maybe have a change in his food.  The vet showed us how to give him the shots, he got his first one today.  He said that Gus should live a normal life and that this is not life ending. 

I did some research on diabetes and I see that they are considering naming type 2 diabetes as an autoimmune disease:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/222766.php

I was pretty sure Gus was diabetic.  He's been drinking and peeing like crazy for a couple of weeks.  His level was a 330.  I don't know how high that might be. 

The vet also ran tests for other issues like hyperthyroidism, liver and kidney problems.  Hope nothing else shows up.
Female
Primary Sjogren's, polyneuropathy, endomitriosis, dietary fructose intolerance
Plaquenil, Lyrica, Tramadal, Omeprazole, Fortical, fish oil, flaxseed oil, benefiber, centrum chewable mulitviitamin, caltrate chewable 600 D+minerals, WSN Nerve Support Formula, Align, Biotene Products

WildThing

Re: My cat is sick
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 12:04:06 PM »
Sorry to hear your cat is sick but at least the vet is going to take care of him now.  The other tests are probably just 'in case'.  Many animals with diabetes live to a ripe old age.

lynnmarie219

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 05:00:24 PM »
So sorry to hear that Gus is sick...but glad it is something they can treat with medication. It is true that many dogs and cats live long lives after being diagnosed with diabetes...and if he took his first shot well with no major reactions or problems...that is a good sign too!

Hope Gus feels better...

Carebear

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 08:50:57 PM »
I hope Gus feels better soon, lighthouse.   I'm glad to hear that he will continue to live a normal life.  That's just wonderful.

As for type 2 diabetes being an autoimmune disease, I've never heard that one before.
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 10:44:59 PM »
I am so glad Gus is being treated so he can feel better. I have a big white cat Charlie.

Give Gus a big hug for us. Hope he feels better soon.

susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

Katybarstool

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 02:22:01 PM »
How's Gus doing today, Lighthouse?

Kathyx

lighthouse33

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 03:29:13 PM »
He's doing a lot better.  Much more alert and active.  The vet said he should quit urinating a lot and drinking so much water after several days of shots. 

The final test results came in - no metabolic disease (kidneys or liver) and no hypothyroidism.  Woo Hoo!  There were abnormalities but they are because of the diabetes.  I was really concerned about renal failure because Abyssinians as a breed are prone to this. 

We are getting better with the shots.  It does take all three of us.  Mom takes the rear end, I have the front end and dad gives the shot.  I hold and talk to him to soothe him.  Dad is so slick now that most of the times he doesn't even feel it. 

In two weeks time he will fast overnight, not have his shot in the morning and spend the day at the vets where they will do a glucose curve and feed him.  This is to see if they need to adjust the insulin dosage.
Female
Plaquenil, Lyrica, Tramadal, Omeprazole, Fortical, fish oil, flaxseed oil, benefiber, centrum chewable mulitviitamin, caltrate chewable 600 D+minerals, WSN Nerve Support Formula, Align, Biotene Products

artistangie

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 06:20:26 PM »
aw poor kitty and mom  :(
I am glad the other tests look good tho!

WildThing

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 05:57:17 AM »
He's doing a lot better.  Much more alert and active.  The vet said he should quit urinating a lot and drinking so much water after several days of shots. 

The final test results came in - no metabolic disease (kidneys or liver) and no hypothyroidism.  Woo Hoo!  There were abnormalities but they are because of the diabetes.  I was really concerned about renal failure because Abyssinians as a breed are prone to this. 

We are getting better with the shots.  It does take all three of us.  Mom takes the rear end, I have the front end and dad gives the shot.  I hold and talk to him to soothe him.  Dad is so slick now that most of the times he doesn't even feel it. 

In two weeks time he will fast overnight, not have his shot in the morning and spend the day at the vets where they will do a glucose curve and feed him.  This is to see if they need to adjust the insulin dosage.

Aw bless, glad you are just about managing it though.  A friend of mine had  diabetic dog and she had to give him shots.  In the end he just died of old age.

iraisin

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 08:06:33 PM »
Glad to hear kitty is doing better.

I have two elderly Bassets, and I really hate it when they get sick or get hurt. They are my babies.

Our pets help us so much. There's good love there, and much comfort.

Glad you will have your good buddy Gus for a long time to come.

lighthouse33

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 11:22:28 AM »
I'm sorry to report that we are facing a possible set back.  Gus was vomiting everywhere this morning.  We held off on giving him the insulin shot until we got an okay from the vet.  We talked to one of the gals in the office around eleven and she said to go ahead and give it to him.

The vet called around 1 PM and said that one of the enzymes in his blood is low which suggests he could have pacreatitis.  Dad is at the vets getting him some wet food in hopes that he will eat that.  If he doesn't we have a standing appointment for tomorrow afternoon where he will have to stay at the hospital. 

Prognosis for dogs and cats with pancreatitis is 50% the same as it is for humans.  Not good. 
Female

slccom

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 12:27:27 PM »
I hope poor Gus feels much better soon! Also his people.  :(
Sharon

engy

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 03:11:04 PM »
Sorry Gus isn't doing well. I will keep him & you in my prayers.
DX:Sjogrens w/mild Lupus overlap,Hashi,Celiac,Raynauds,Sm.Fiber Neuropathy,POTS,Fibro.,CFS,OI & other dysautonomia.
No thyroid
Fish/Shellfish Allergy

RX:Plaquenil,Synthroid,LCarnitine,CoQ10,ALA,Dribose,Tumeric/Curcumin, Milk Thistle,AdreneVive,Fish Oil,Flaxseed Oil,Magnesium,B12 shots,vit D & C

lynnmarie219

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 04:03:10 PM »
Awwwww...sorry to hear Gus is having a setback...hope he is able to get back up and going soon without further problems.

In the meantime I will keep you and Gus in my thoughts and sending all positive wishes for his recovery.

Carebear

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 06:06:41 PM »
I hope Gus is feeling a bit better, lighthouse.  I am very sorry to hear that he has had a set back.

How are you doing?  It's been a very difficult year for you, your parents and now Gus.  I'm thinking about you.
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.