Author Topic: "You are hyperventilating yourself"  (Read 2898 times)

Meld256

Re: "You are hyperventilating yourself"
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 09:51:36 AM »
lolo,

I guessing you won't be seeing this demeaning, dismissive, ignorant doc again!  "hyperventilating yourself??"  ::)

I'm so sorry you were treated this way, and I can relate, unfortunately.  In the middle of my journey to a dx, I saw a particular rheumy exactly two times.  First time he diagnosed me with Fibro. and changed my med to Savella-that was a good thing.

Second time was the end. I'd made a short summary of all my symptoms, and when he started asking about them, he made no sense, was only looking at his laptop screen and not listening.
  He asked how many times I woke during the night...I said I can't get to sleep...so he asks "2, 3 times?" (Noooooo) This went on to other stupid questions.  I mentioned the possibility of Sjogrens.   Oh, NO...you have no blood markers to show that!

The kicker was that I was already on short-term disability and mentioned something about not working right now, and tried to explain my disabling fatigue.   He tells me "Oh, you're an intelligent woman; I'm sure you'll find something out there soon."   HUH?  I had not the ability to express my shock or explain that I had a job but couldn't perform it because I barely had to the strength to drive to the appt. 

Only positive was that he ordered a CT scan because of my enlarged neck gland. It showed a large amount of infection in the parotid, which the radiologist had written on the report "consistent with Sjogren's Syndrome".  I never saw the rheumy again, and added that document to my SS Disability claim I began the next month. 

I also cannot understand why this doc you saw expects that if his wife has mild Sjogren's, that each of us would have the same experience. 
Bottom line;  I hope you feel better knowing that you are not alone, unfortunately, with being seen by an idiot.  You know exactly how you feel and know what can cause it.

By the way, I have some of the same breathing issues this year with the very high heat and humidity,  It is no fun, and I've never had lung problems of any type.  Iraisin, good point about the ozone rating days and barometric pressure,  I'll pay attention to that.

Take care and I wish you a much better experience with the next doc you choose to see!

jazzlover

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 12:53:37 PM »
I fired my endocrinologist after he told me I was not allowed to ask questions because I had not been academically educated nor had attended a medical university such as he and could not possibly have the abilities to understand, since I was not academically trained or educated...

OH SPARE ME!!! WHAT AN A$$.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

slccom

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 01:02:02 PM »
I fired my endocrinologist after he told me I was not allowed to ask questions because I had not been academically educated nor had attended a medical university such as he and could not possibly have the abilities to understand, since I was not academically trained or educated...

OH SPARE ME!!! WHAT AN A$$.

An insecure one at that! He clearly has a good grasp of how lousy he is at communicating with patients!
Sharon

bloodless

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 02:45:14 PM »
As I understand it, it is possible to have mild sjogren's. I guess it also depends on what you consider mild. That doc is a jerk lolo. Be sure to tell the doc you love that so he'll be removed from her referral list. I wonder why docs like that even go into medicine! Naturally, I vote with everyone else. FIRE HIM.
I miss the good old days. Things were more like they used to be back then.

Sjogrens, Lupus, Fibro, GERD