Author Topic: your thoughts on PPIs ( proton pump inhibitors)  (Read 7654 times)

AAACGRL

Re: your thoughts on PPIs ( proton pump inhibitors)
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2012, 04:01:16 PM »
I take Prevacid.  I was off most all reflux meds for a couple years as I just didn't want to deal with one more medication copay.  Recently, I had a lot of trouble with reflux and swallowing so there wasn't much choice.  I do feel much better after two months on it.  I still can't eat just anything though as I can still have silent reflux and although it's not painful, it's not pleasant at night either.

Irasin, what's up with the tepid drinks? :) I've always needed drinks at room temp but I'm curious why you mentioned it?  Does it aggravate Sjs or reflux?

iraisin

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2012, 04:48:14 PM »
it really messes up your digestion. Room temperature or warm tea is best if you have to drink when you eat. It really slows down your stomach.

here's an article that explains it better than I can.

fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/ice-water-and-digestion.html
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 04:55:43 PM by Linda196 »

sass

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2012, 05:24:47 PM »
With many Esphogeal motiltiy problems, you feel like your food is stuck in the center of your chest..The actual thing happening is the muscles inside your esphoagus are trying to work the food down with multiple contractions.  It normally happens quite rapidly.  But with the motility issues, you feel all of those contractions.  It is horrific pain.  I have found tiny bites, sitting up straight, chewing the heck out of my food and thinking when I swallow, works better for me and always have that room temp water available.  When the cold hits the esphoagus it closes off even tighter.  Does anyone else have it like this, like I do.  Sometimes it feels like I am having a heart attack..I can feel every sip and every bite of whatever I consume go completly down until it hits the stomach.   Totally Weird feelin, I  tell you......just sayin~sass~

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2012, 05:40:28 PM »
Hi  :)

I know if I'm having a 'bad spell' I can feel hot or cold going right the way down to the stomach. I've been told that the sensation is caused by esophagitis caused by acid that has inflamed the esophagus because of a hiatal hernia which means the 'non return valve' at the top of the stomach is not working properly. I've been told that, in my case, it is probably due to 4 pregnancies and a short body - so that everything will have been pused up during pregnancy and messed up the valve. If I bend forwards I can end up with stomach acid in my mouth. If I take Omeprazole (a PPI) it doesn't taste nearly as bad.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2012, 09:41:22 PM »
scottie, I have the same problem sometimes. This happens more in the evening for me. If I am having a bad reflux day and bend over to do something up comes the acid. The gate" is open at the top of stomach/bottom of esophagus.

I am of the opinion that a neuropathy causes the decrease in the innervation of the muscles in that sphincter which is called the cardiac sphincter. Causes it to stay open and if we eat too much  or eat foods that are hard to digest, etc. we get the darn acid all the way up into our mouth. Not a pleasant experience.

Thankfully, the many meds out there help. I have to add that I tried one drug that is quite strong. Darn, I can't think of the name of it. I think this one starts with a P also. Anyway, it caused me to dry up way too much and I got a bad gut ache and it felt like my GI tract just seized up on me. Couldn't figure out what was going on and then remembered I had started that new drug. I quit taking it and I improved in a couple of days. So, yes, we can dry up too much and that can cause more bacterial overgrowth. It sure is a fine line we walk. Irish

iraisin

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2012, 05:08:18 AM »
Irish, could it have been pantoprazole?

My gastro prescribed Dexilant and gave me some samples - it stopped my pain almost immediately. Then my insurance wouldn't cover it and required me to take Nexium for 30 days. Well that script was $90 (a month!).

I called my doc and told him this wouldn't work for me and to get creative, so he called in the pantoprazole ($10) for me. So far, no stomach pain.

Now that you explain this, I do need more water (and tp). It's also a bit harder to go poo.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2012, 12:19:39 PM »
The name of the drug was Protonix. It is not given as much as the other meds. I felt like it just dried me up tight and slowed everything down. Didn't know what was going on. I finally quit and pill and in a couple days I was much improved. Irish

jazzlover

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2012, 02:52:29 PM »
With many Esphogeal motiltiy problems, you feel like your food is stuck in the center of your chest..The actual thing happening is the muscles inside your esphoagus are trying to work the food down with multiple contractions.  It normally happens quite rapidly.  But with the motility issues, you feel all of those contractions.  It is horrific pain.  I have found tiny bites, sitting up straight, chewing the heck out of my food and thinking when I swallow, works better for me and always have that room temp water available.  When the cold hits the esphoagus it closes off even tighter.  Does anyone else have it like this, like I do.  Sometimes it feels like I am having a heart attack..I can feel every sip and every bite of whatever I consume go completly down until it hits the stomach.   Totally Weird feelin, I  tell you......just sayin~sass~

-
Yes, but not all the time. Usually happens if I try to take too many pills during my meal. Then my esophagus goes into spasm... YES. feels like a heart attack!!
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

Dorisday

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2012, 04:43:05 PM »
ciao,its my first post,im from italy so sorry for not being very good in explaining,i do not know how to start a new post;sorry if im going out of thread ,its my first time;i live alone,im divorcedi,my son died in a car accident.im on PPI since a long time,years,but not always,surely it get worse when im nervous and i have to add maalox;i do not drink alcohol,i do not eat fruits nor tomato but it happens that  sometimes i can eat even tomato and nothing happens when im more calm or i eat with friends and not alone;no acid;i have ra test slightly positive,38,and anti ana <140,no other wrong blood tests ;as i started to read your blog i was aware that many doctors do not care about the possibility of sjogren so i looked for the best i could find in milan to try to not lose time;  till june i did not have symptoms,just dry eyes,positive shirmer,but they said that many women after menopause have the same so dont worry;then  all of a sudden i had dry mouth,no saliva at all and a terrible aphta on the top of my tongue;the tastes changed for some days,they gave me  mouth wash with cortisone,it went away after three weeks;now i have saliva,not as i used to have but much better,i use biotene products;as it happened to most of you,doctors said its not sure i have sjogren because  to be sure i have to do the biopsy of lips:i do not have pain anywhere,just dryness;i had stopped smoking my six cigarettes and now  i started again but noticed that  sometimes its not good for dryness;  two doctors whose specializacion is mouth,not dentists,all the problems of mouth,tongue etc said that PPI are not good for dryness but i have to take them because i have aesofagitis,so they said that i have to take the least;in the worst days of aphta i used my bite and i  advice you to try it,it stops the tongue and so it does not stuck on high;thei also advised to wash my mouth with milk;i noticed here that most of you are under 50 so i wonder if some of you started symptoms after sixty,thanks,sorry if im in the wrong place,ill try to understand how it works here,im very afraid about whats happening in my body because i know that i could not be so brave as you are

sass

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2012, 04:55:33 PM »
DorisDay,

Welcome!  We are so glad that you found us, but sorry that you have these things going on.  You did great at explaining yourself..The only thing that you can do different when you post is to make more paragraphs.  It is hard for some of us to read long ones.

You do seem like you are having some real issues with Sjogrens and your espohagus.  Like Me..Oh let me introduce myself....I go by ~sass~  .  You will have a lot of people help you here and there is a lot of experience ..

What medicines are you on for your esophagus problems and I do not understand what aphta is,

I am so very sorry about the loss of your son.  That has to be so hard on you and it adds stress to your already weakened body.  I wish there were more that we could do for you from here.. I will pray!

Please continue to try to find a doctor that has more experience with Sjogren's syndrome because it is not just a menopausal thing in women.  I am 53, but there are many younger and older that have this. 

I look forward from hearing more from you....Thank You for posting and we are going to
try to help you.   ~sass~

jazzlover

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2012, 05:04:56 PM »
WELCOME, DORIS! :)
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

iraisin

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2012, 05:11:58 PM »
Hi There DorrisDay!

Welcome!

My family is from Poggioreale Sicily!

Sorry you're having this trouble too. And yes, if you will please make more lines between your sentences that would help us read your posts better.

There are a lot of people here that have had a rapid onset of symptoms too and based on what I've read, the drop in estrogen after menopause does make things worse.

Are you on hormone therapy?

Dorisday

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2012, 05:29:06 PM »
oh great to find your answers!thank you

i made a gastroscopy  15 days ago and tomorrow ill have the result;i took 2 omeoprazol( PPI)of 20 for two months and now i cut to 2 of 10,hope you understood what i mean;
im sure that stress makes a lot in this stuff,at least in mine;there are periods when i do not need anything for  the stomach and then if i get more sad or nervous or i eat and then seat at the computer on my digestion things get worse:
the first doctor who realized that i had reflux was a doctor for nose and throat,he put me a optic fiber in the nose till my aesofagus and he said that there were clear signs of burning but i did not feel any and no acid in my mouth;ill see tomorrow what they say,but i know i must go on with PPI at the least dose

what i wanted to know speaking of age, is if most of you started symptoms  before 60 or also after .

i really hope that you understand that i would like to express myself better with the right words,its difficult for me to find the ...shadows of the words,anyway  im grateful of having read so many useful things here and most of all, full of a courage that ,as i said,i do not have

sass

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2012, 06:34:36 PM »
I think you are full of courage!  You  are breaking barriers that you have and are reaching out for help in a different language.  And doing a great job at it.  Good For You.  I think you must be an extraordinary woman, but that you are nervous about the unknown right now.

That is understandable and you are too.  You are getting your test results tomorrow, which is good that you don't have to wait much longer.  And yes sometimes it can be medications that cause dry mouth.  I like the biotene products too.  I have had tubes ran down thru my nose too.  Not very comfortable.

I am on a medication called Dexilant and it helps me a lot.  Nexium helped for a long time and then just quit.

I think most here had symptoms before 60, but I am not sure...Hopefully somebody over 60 will see this and respond soon...

Let us know about your results....Praying for Good News   ~sass~

sass

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2012, 06:42:28 PM »
Irish, I had the same problem with Protonix...I am on the Dexilant now too and really like it.  I had been on Nexium for several years and it was great and then just quit. 

My Insurance balked a little to and required a letter from my gastro saying it was a medical neccesisity.  Go figure....Barretts, Hiatal Hernia, Esophageal Dismotiltiy, Swallwing dysfunction....   What more did they need??   a signature..lol    ~sass~

Scottie,

Does yours every feel like it is stuck in the center of your chest?  It takes mine about 45 seconds to go on down and the pain is really bad.  And I feel the cold or hot almost 100% of the time, until it enters the stomach and even a couple of seconds then too..  Not that I am happy someone else has it, but it feels good to know you aren't the only one..I was beginning to think I was crazier than normal...I am very short also and when I bend forward I sometimes will get the gerd coming up,,very metallic like...yuk!!!
thanks   ~sass~
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 06:50:12 PM by sass »